bermich is offline Anabolic Member

Got screwed from EBAY

I bought a Rio Karma mp3 player for 200 dollars. It was brand new but a showroom display so it didnt come with the original box. Everything else had selaed packaging and all the contents and papers were with it.
    So after transfering several cds to it, I listened to it for about 3 hours before the thing freezes up on me. I tried to reformat it and all that troubleshooting bullshlt. The guy tells me to send it to his shop so his techs can look at it. If it appears that it did not break due to being dropped or wet, he will help with the warranty repair since I dont have the box or receipt.

I have a feeling the guy is gonna email me saying I broke it and there is nothing he can do. If that happens, I will PERSONALLY drive to MI and talk to the owner myself. You feel like you found a good deal saving 50-100 dollars on the auction and then the thing just breaks and you are helpless due to the nature of the deal....Im not sure if I have any legal resources to fall back on other than giving the guy a bad feedback rating and maybe asking ebay for a refund.

Luckily, I bought two mp3 players for some odd reason. I was gonna sell the other one but now it will be my permanent one since the first one will be gone for a month......

SCREW EBAY.......

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    **** that sucks. i was thinking about buying an mp3 player on ebay, i might reconsider. good luck bermich

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Berm, are you bitching again. I'm gonna have to get Princess you smack yo ass brother.......

Hey good luck with the player.

ttuPrincess Guest
    I dont buy expensive stuff on ebay for that reason.... Im paraniod!!!!

Sorry to hear that happened to you... did you get an email from him, or something written from him before you sent it back to him? That way you can prove you atleast had it before you sent it back to him incase he does screw you over????

HBP

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Shoulda got an iPod.

151 is offline Associate Member
    I think I have one of those Rio Karma's. . .does it come on at all? I did something to mine and it shut off and wouldn't turn back on. Took me forever to figure out to take a safety pin or needle to reset the device.

And as for being stuck with a broken device. . .you could always go to Best Buy or Circuit City and buy one. Take the broken one back and get your money back. They don't ask too many questions at either place.

juicehoe is offline Anabolic Member
    i just got my arnold poster set from ebay... i love that place. Try to buy from people who have a ton of sales and almost 100% positive feedback

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Go buy one from a store, take the new one and put the old fuked up one in the box and return it.

Quote Originally Posted by LORDBLiTZ
    Go buy one from a store, take the new one and put the old fuked up one in the box and return it.
    yeah. . .what I said

TheChosenOne is offline Anabolic Member
    I have a Rio MP3 player that also locks up at times. Make sure you dont have your volume cranked too loud because that always seems to make mine shut off. Otherwise my Rio works like a charm.

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 151
    yeah. . .what I said

PFFFFFFFFT I only read the first post

Da Bull is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LORDBLiTZ
    PFFFFFFFFT I only read the first post
    LOL@ BLiTZ

PRINCESS. I thought you were waiting for the UPS truck to deliver your MP3 player a week ago... (maybe it was danielle.) I know it was one of the two of you.

The guy has 2000 postive feedbacks and he seems reasonable. He told me to print out my email with his response along with the player and he will see what can be done.
    I just got my gym membership and I REALLY REALLY wanted an mp3 player to listen to.
    I was barely able to wait and now I have to wait to get it fixed.....

Can I do that? Switch players and return it? Dont they have serial numbers on em? I think that would be the best thing to do....Anyone do that before???

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    $49 more dollars and you could have gotten a real mp3 player. An iPod. Brand new in the box with a receipt.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_E
    $49 more dollars and you could have gotten a real mp3 player. An iPod. Brand new in the box with a receipt.

I dont really care for the Ipod. I would really want an IRiver but those are expensive. My other mp3 player is the Samsung Napster that I am gonna keep. There is also the X clef 20gig...

Quote Originally Posted by bermich
    Can I do that? Switch players and return it? Dont they have serial numbers on em? I think that would be the best thing to do....Anyone do that before???
    Yes, you can do that. I've done it before. All they scan is the barcode when you buy something, not the product serial number. All the barcodes are the same.

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by 151
    Yes, you can do that. I've done it before. All they scan is the barcode when you buy something, not the product serial number. All the barcodes are the same.
    If you plan to do this make sure the store has a liberal return policy. I don't know if you're easily embarrassed, but it would suck if they opened the box and said YOU DID NOT BUY THIS HERE!

decadbal is offline Banned
    or just sell it on ebay to some other sucker

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_E
    If you plan to do this make sure the store has a liberal return policy. I don't know if you're easily embarrassed, but it would suck if they opened the box and said YOU DID NOT BUY THIS HERE!
    Yeah, like Best Buy or Circuit City. They'll take back anything.

I have a buddy who bought a dvd-recorder at Best Buy once. . .went home, put a cd-recorder in it and took it back. Most of the people working the return counter are younger kids and they don't really care. They just wanna get their day in and go home.

ttuPrincess Guest
    PRINCESS. I thought you were waiting for the UPS truck to deliver your MP3 player a week ago... (maybe it was danielle.) I know it was one of the two of you.
    It was me... got they from BestBuy.com...best things in the world.. eat batteries like candy, but oh well... I cant live without it in the gym

Symian is offline Member
    I dont really care for the Ipod. I would really want an IRiver but those are expensive. My other mp3 player is the Samsung Napster that I am gonna keep. There is also the X clef 20gig...
    I did it with my $150 Sony headphones at BestBuy. They were roughed up and everything. Didn't say a word.

Sym

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    Like princess said, key is to not buy expensive stuff off Ebay. Although, I guess the mp3 player isn't that big of a deal, I mean, it's still quite a bit of cash. I actually bought mine off Ebay as well, but I made sure to get a new one, and it was still in that plastic thing they sell them in at stores (the **** ones that you can't open properly, and need to cut the shat out of).

I got the Lyra 128mb, bought this last year, and it's still working great. It's a **** good investment for body builders.

128 mgs... That only holds like 5 songs. I mean a regular burnable cd holds 700 mgs. What can you do with 128 megs???? Have to keep changing songs????

128 mgs... That only holds like 5 songs. I mean a regular burnable cd holds 700 mgs. What can you do with 128 megs???? Have to keep changing songs????
    Dude what are you talking about? The whole point of an mp3 player is to store songs in MP3 format. The reason a normal cd holds about 16-20 songs is because it is burnt in WAV format, and those files are anywhere from 30 to 50 megs.

I mean, were you being sarcastic or are you serious??

If you have an MP3 cd player, then you can fit about 150 songs per ordinary 700mb cd. I have one of those in my car, it's real good. Now, the portable player that is 128mb can usually hold about 25 songs for me at least. It does depend on the size and quality of the file.

However, I'm guessing you were cracking a joke or something, so all that was pointless.

ttuPrincess Guest
    Yeah mine has 128 mb's and it holds 35 songs...... i hope you were making a joke.. or else you really did get screwed

FRANK WHITE is offline Senior Member
    Good luck Berm.

Quote Originally Posted by Terinox
    Dude what are you talking about? The whole point of an mp3 player is to store songs in MP3 format. The reason a normal cd holds about 16-20 songs is because it is burnt in WAV format, and those files are anywhere from 30 to 50 megs.

I mean, were you being sarcastic or are you serious??

If you have an MP3 cd player, then you can fit about 150 songs per ordinary 700mb cd. I have one of those in my car, it's real good. Now, the portable player that is 128mb can usually hold about 25 songs for me at least. It does depend on the size and quality of the file.

However, I'm guessing you were cracking a joke or something, so all that was pointless.

I could save my dignity and lie by saying it was a joke. But since I do admit when I am wrong, I will say that, up until now, I didnt realize mp3 format had that good of compression for files.
    I didnt get screwed because I still have what I want. it just means that I am really impressed with the tiny mp3 players that you can strap on your arm while working out. Im probably gonna buy one of those too.

Should I get the 256 mg? If so, which one do you guys recommend?

bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    Berm it sounds like you got screwed from someone selling on ebay, not ebay. Personally I have not bought anything from there site, but know a bunch of people who have, with very good luck I must add. I do know ebay has policies that protect people from getting screwed....so if you got screwed let ebay know so they can stop this person from screwing others. Did the person you bought from have any type of return policy? If so just return it for another one if their tech team can't fix yours.

I could save my dignity and lie by saying it was a joke. But since I do admit when I am wrong, I will say that, up until now, I didnt realize mp3 format had that good of compression for files.
    I didnt get screwed because I still have what I want. it just means that I am really impressed with the tiny mp3 players that you can strap on your arm while working out. Im probably gonna buy one of those too.

Should I get the 256 mg? If so, which one do you guys recommend?
    Well I guess that also depends on what your main use for it is, and how much you plan to spend on it.

I have 128MB with external memory slot, which can be added, and those are always increasing, they have the 512MB, and could come out with 1GIG memory cards, so that's a ton of space. If you really want a lot of space then sometime like the iPOD which can hold like 10GIGS is good too, but those are expensive, and personally I think 10GIGS is way too much. You could fit like WELL over 1000 songs.

If you aren't too lazy, and can handle switching the songs every week or so (depending on if you get bored or not), then a 256-512MB is more than enough in my opinion.

RIO mp3 players are good, me and my friend have the Lyra, and those are great too. Try one of those.

Thanks guys. I got a little confused. I already have a a 20 gig mp3 player. I just didnt think about the difference between mp3 and wav format. So I didnt bother to think that 256 mgs could hold more osngs. I also didnt know that they had removable memory cards. So if those small ones can be switched to hold a 512 mg card, then I that would be great. Way way smaller and perfect for gym and running use.
    Which one do you have Terin?

Thanks guys. I got a little confused. I already have a a 20 gig mp3 player. I just didnt think about the difference between mp3 and wav format. So I didnt bother to think that 256 mgs could hold more osngs. I also didnt know that they had removable memory cards. So if those small ones can be switched to hold a 512 mg card, then I that would be great. Way way smaller and perfect for gym and running use.
    Which one do you have Terin?
    The name of it is the "RCA Lyra RD1080" and it's 128mb internal memory, with external slot. Also has a built in FM radio.

So in terms of WHICH to buy, it's tough, there are tons of players, but try to stick with Rio, RCA or something like that. Which ever you do choose, make sure it has external memory slot, it'll most likely be SD (Secure Digital) media sticks, and those are dropping in price everyday as newer and larger ones come out.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Terinox; 04-12-2004 at 02:38 PM.

ChiTownTommy is offline Senior Member
    berm that was you i sold the mp3 player too, hahha thanks for the $200 i am going to spend it on a cycle :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTommy
    berm that was you i sold the mp3 player too, hahha thanks for the $200 i am going to spend it on a cycle :-)
    You better send me a vial of test you crooked bastard.

Thread Information