thegorilla is offline Associate Member

My problem with drug sniffing dogs :

My problem with drug sniffing dogs :

Lets say that I had nose that could detect drugs just like a drug sniffing dog.

If I were to walk by a car and smell drugs and b/c I smelled drugs an arrest was made , somewhere in the life of the case against the person who had the drugs in their car I would be summoned to court and placed on the stand and asked about smelling drugs in the said car.

Yet, a dog never gets summoned to court and never is placed under oath.

Do we just take the dogs word for it ? What word ?

Am I the only one that finds this odd ?

TheInfamousApe

TheGorilla

whiteyk is offline Pimp in Training
    they can only prosecute you if they find drugs

Well, I'd say that the dog is used as a "tool" and the person using this tool is the one to testify.

And in a legal sense the dog doesn't "find the drugs". As far as I know, the dog only gives the police or customs officer "reasonable doubt" to search the car (or person) for drugs.

But like any tool, I am sure the defender in court can ask for proof that it works properly... (I am sure the dog has a file with training and performance records, just like a radar gun or an explosives "sniffer" has a calibration record).

Wasn't it tock who trained cop dogs in the military? I too would be curious of their legal standing...

Red

hercules88 is offline Senior Member
    reds right, a dog smelling drugs gives a cop probable cause, which gives him the right to search your car. learned alot in criminal procedure this year.

thegorilla is offline Associate Member

I think

I think the issue is whether or not a dog has the ability to suggest probable cause. Since the K-9 has no legal form of communication I would think that probable cause could be easily contested. The question is "Should it be ?"

great opinions !

TG

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    CBS or NBC did a big story on this a few months ago . . . seems someone challenged whether or not a sniffer dog's alert was indeed probable cause for a search. They checked the dog's records, and it turns out the dog's training had not conformed with some national standard (it only had 4 weeks of training instead 12 or so) and the dog's success rate was only around 70%. The guy who ran the USAF dog training program (Dr. Craig) for years was a defense witness, said no dog with less than a 90-something sucess rate on a wide variety of searches should be allowed to sniff out in public.

Moral of the story is . . . if a dog alerts on you and they find something as a result, have your lawyer get the dog's records and see to what standard of training and success the dog is trained to.

I put a copy of the new article on this board somewhere, couldn't find it, though. But this is the general gist . ..
    -Tock

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    ammonia........... cyan (sp)pepper......

all things that will repuse the dog, and burn his sinuses... (temporary)

and will not cause an alert..........

and have you ever heard of random searches.?????????? if you must submit... before the search begins...... insist that they list/tell you what they are looking for.....

typical answer......... weapons....... but if they find drugs... monies....... then you may have a loop hole..

or better yet....... don't do that kind of thing...
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

allsaucedup is offline Member
    i know people who have packed there stuff in coffee and been searched and the dogs cant smell it

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    There's a large variability in sniffing ability between individual dogs. The one I trained in the USAF would have found it. Didn't matter much to him what the stuff was packed with. He was just awesome. He knew what he was sniffing for, he knew how to work a room. When he sniffed something that was coming from above the ceiling, you could tell . . . he'd walk back and forth with his nose in the air, figure out how the air currents were flowing in the room, figure out where the scent was comining from, then pin-point it and try to jump up the wall to get to the stuff. Amazing little dog (a little 15 lb terrier).

Talking

My problem with drug sniffing dogs is that they have a pretty darn expensive habit!

Fido doing blow costs a lot more to keep happy than dogs who are content with puppy chow.

Red
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My problem with drug sniffing dogs :-briang-1024.jpg  

Thread Information