TPAK is offline Associate Member

People from Houston, TX

I was in Houston this past week for work. I was offered a job and am really thinking about moving there. I loved the Lake Houston Area. So what I am asking is if you are in the Houston area. Please tell me your pluses and minuses about living there. Thanks all.

allsaucedup is offline Member
    its a pretty cool city. I live out near lake Houston. only thing i can really complain about hear is the weather. Humidity sucks but other than that it is pretty cool place to live

PumpingIron is offline New Member
    Houston is the ****! Your in the 4th biggest city, your 1 hour from the beach, 45 min from the country. You have lake Houston, Lake Conreo. Their are alot of good night clubs and down town Houston has realy improved. You have good sports teams to cheer on. The cons are HUMIDTY and Houston was named Americas fattest city two years running but that will keep you motivated.

Thanks guys. If I end up taking the job I will be buying a house near Lake Houston. I loved the weather there this weekend. I have to tell you that the heat sounds allot better than the cold that I have to deal with in NY. I am really considering taking this job.

Quote Originally Posted by TPAK
    Thanks guys. If I end up taking the job I will be buying a house near Lake Houston. I loved the weather there this weekend. I have to tell you that the heat sounds allot better than the cold that I have to deal with in NY. I am really considering taking this job.
    good luck on the decision and like i said i live right by lake houston so if you need a training partner hit me up. bunch of good gyms out there too

stack-a-licious is offline Associate Member
    hey bro,
    chicago is a great city...but there are some crappy azz parts of town... if you go to the right part you will be happy as can be..
    im sure houston is the same way...take it from someone you trust on where to live... otherwise you will end up in a dump in a bad neighborhood...

Quote Originally Posted by allsaucedup
    good luck on the decision and like i said i live right by lake houston so if you need a training partner hit me up. bunch of good gyms out there too
    Thanks bro. If I end up taking it I will let you know for sure.

Gearhead007 is offline Associate Member
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Last edited by Gearhead007; 09-27-2007 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead007
    Are you single, or raising a family?

If you have a family, a house in the N/E part of town near the lake is fine.

If you are single, you will hate life. ALL of the single action in H-town is Downtown, or in the Galleria. Both of which are quite a drive from the lake. You will be driving downtown every weekend to pick up girls. DWI task force is a bitch, and a cab from there will be a 40.00 round trip. DO NOT live in the burbs unless you are married and/or have kids.

Personally, if I had a family, I would move over to the Woodlands (N/W). The schools are much better, and it is a much newer part of the city. I grew up close to lake Houston (snake lake) and I would not be caught dead in that water. You will still drive to lake conroe or Livingston if you want to go boating or skiing if you want to have any space. Lake Houston is overcrowded, half the size of conroe, and 1/3 the size of Livingston. Humble schools suck, and you are on the final approach path to one of the largest airports in the country. I hope you like jet noise.

Thanks for the insite. I am married with 2 kids. So the subs are were I want to be. All done chasing tail. Found one I wanted to keep and married her. I was looking at the Huffman area. I think that is the otherside of the lake from Humble. I read up on the schools and they look to be very good. At least the ones near where I want to live. Snake Lake? Bro I hate snakes!!! Are you telling me that Lake Houston and the are up there is loaded with them?

mass junkie is offline banned
    Minus.....Pheedno lives in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by mass junkie
    Minus.....Pheedno lives in Texas
    LOL...Don't know him well enough to make a good decision on that fact only. But thanks for the input Mass

Cousin Eddie is offline Associate Member
    Nothing against Huffman, but I agree with Gearhead. I wouldnt settle on one area before looking at The Woodlands, Kingwood, Pearland, Clear Lake, Friendswood, etc. The most important question is what part of town will you be working in. Traffic can really suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie
    Nothing against Huffman, but I agree with Gearhead. I wouldnt settle on one area before looking at The Woodlands, Kingwood, Pearland, Clear Lake, Friendswood, etc. The most important question is what part of town will you be working in. Traffic can really suck.

I liked The commons of lake Houston. Only because it was wooded and seemed very peaceful. I would be working out towards LaPorte/Deer Park area. The drive was about 40 min. I drove it this past weekend.

I think 3/4 of the entire board resides in some part of Texas.

Gearhead007 is offline Associate Member
    [aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Last edited by Gearhead007; 09-27-2007 at 07:10 PM.

PumpingIron is offline New Member
    Walden on Lake Houston or Atascasita Shores are nice!

OK, well I am not sure exactly where "The Commns" is, although I have heard of it. If you can use the Hardy Toll Road from where you were to Pasadena, you might be OK, but I wouldnt want to do it. 40 minutes on a weekend is nothing like what the drive will be in rush hour. There are some fairly wooded areas in the SE part of Harris County that would be a lot closer. Take a look at Shore Acres and parts of Seabrook before you decide. I live near DP, LP, and I would not want to make the drive to Lake Houston every day. SE side is a nice family place. Very affordable new homes, right on the bay, not far from Galveston, Clear Lake, Kemah. Give it a look before you decide and keep the drive in mind.

The Commons on lake Houston is nice bro some big homes out there i live i atascocita shores right acroos the lake from the commons. there is a good golf course out there called red wolf run. and ya the lake is nasty i used to ski on it in high school but would not go near that thing now

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead007
    Snake lake... Yes, there is a huge cottonmouth population on the north end where the San Jacinto river feeds the lake. Yup, they're poisonous.

Huffman... The biggest trailer park in the Houston area. About 1/2 of Jeff Foxworthy's jokes refer to Huffman.

I agree with Cousin Eddie. Except for swampwood. Do look into The Woodlands, Pearland, Clear Lake, Friendswood, etc. The most important question is what part of town will you be working in. Traffic can really suck.

For the drive to the LaPorte area, I would highly recommend Clear Lake or Friendswood area. It's a nice area, good for the kids, lots to do.

Avoid Huffman, That's not even considered part of Houston. It's way off in the sticks, not close to anything convenient. 30+ minutes to the nearest mall.
    Yeah there were parts of Huffman that were not all that nice. The Commons I loved though. I like living out in the woods and the houses were not close together at all. How far of a drive is it from the Woodlands to Laporte?

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie
    OK, well I am not sure exactly where "The Commns" is, although I have heard of it. If you can use the Hardy Toll Road from where you were to Pasadena, you might be OK, but I wouldnt want to do it. 40 minutes on a weekend is nothing like what the drive will be in rush hour. There are some fairly wooded areas in the SE part of Harris County that would be a lot closer. Take a look at Shore Acres and parts of Seabrook before you decide. I live near DP, LP, and I would not want to make the drive to Lake Houston every day. SE side is a nice family place. Very affordable new homes, right on the bay, not far from Galveston, Clear Lake, Kemah. Give it a look before you decide and keep the drive in mind.

Thanks Eddie. I drive an hour one way now so 45 min is a cake. I will look into the other place you said however.

woodlands to laporte is a long way. there are farm roads that you can take from huffman to laporte were you wont encounter the highway traffic but you would have to get on 45 or the beltway to get from the woodlands to laporte you might want to look in pearland they have some real nice homes out there and that would put you alot closer to laporte/deer park area

The Commons on lake Houston is nice bro some big homes out there i live i atascocita shores right acroos the lake from the commons. there is a good golf course out there called red wolf run. and ya the lake is nasty i used to ski on it in high school but would not go near that thing now
    I was up there this past weekend and loved it. George Forman has a home in the Commons. I liked that fact that it wasn't crowded and the homes weren't right on top of one another.

woodlands to laporte is a long way. there are farm roads that you can take from huffman to laporte were you wont encounter the highway traffic but you would have to get on 45 or the beltway to get from the woodlands to laporte you might want to look in pearland they have some real nice homes out there and that would put you alot closer to laporte/deer park area
    I took the back way this weekend. It wasn't a bad drive at all. I will look into Pearland as well. Is that area wooded?

Commons is real nice and your probably not going to find anywere else that will give you that much space and wooded area. Pearland is more like deer park everything is getting cute down and replaced with shopping centers or neighborhoods.

Commons is real nice and your probably not going to find anywere else that will give you that much space and wooded area. Pearland is more like deer park everything is getting cute down and replaced with shopping centers or neighborhoods.

Yeah and that is something I don't like. I love the country. I would stay here in NY but I hate the cold and the jobs suck. Can make allot more money in Houston.

ripped4fsu is offline Anabolic Member
    I live in Kingwood... it's a really nice area, especially if you are a family man. there is a new 24hr fitness in Atascocita, that'll probably be your closest gym, there or QLS on lake Houston Pkwy. I moved here 4yrs ago and don't regret it. Houston is a huge city that thinks its a small town, ie: people are friendly and laidback for the most part. drop me a PM if you need any more info,
    good luck
    ~R

50%Natural is offline Respected Member
    good lord, there are an ass load of htown folks. I know keymastur was from the area you were talking about but i'm from the woodlands/spring. Very nice. However, at the rate that the inner city trash is moving up, i would suggest oakridge or the woodlands. I didn't catch where you said you were driving to but that is where i live and it is in montgomery county so you catch a ton of tax breaks for not being in harris county. Just live close to 59 or 45 and you can't go wrong. I know Jersey Village is also an nice part of town but that is the NW side.

Quote Originally Posted by 50%Natural
    good lord, there are an ass load of htown folks. I know keymastur was from the area you were talking about but i'm from the woodlands/spring. Very nice. However, at the rate that the inner city trash is moving up, i would suggest oakridge or the woodlands. I didn't catch where you said you were driving to but that is where i live and it is in montgomery county so you catch a ton of tax breaks for not being in harris county. Just live close to 59 or 45 and you can't go wrong. I know Jersey Village is also an nice part of town but that is the NW side.
    I would be driving to the Leporte/deer Park area every day. I take it Harris county is a high tax area?

Well, they are a lot more strict regarding air emissions and such. As far as insurance rates, it is cheaper also to be outside of Harris county. And if you were to look into homes in oakridge/spring...you could find a lot of brand new neighborhoods. If you are in the area, exit rayford road and head east. There are lots of developing neighborhoods over there and off a road called riley fuzzel, there is access to the toll road which would be ideal for a commuter...get that ez tag

Quote Originally Posted by 50%Natural
    Well, they are a lot more strict regarding air emissions and such. As far as insurance rates, it is cheaper also to be outside of Harris county. And if you were to look into homes in oakridge/spring...you could find a lot of brand new neighborhoods. If you are in the area, exit rayford road and head east. There are lots of developing neighborhoods over there and off a road called riley fuzzel, there is access to the toll road which would be ideal for a commuter...get that ez tag
    I will look into homes in that area. Wish I would have asked this question before I flew out to Houston. I am back in NY now but will check on home in that area through realtors. Thanks for all the help guys.

thegorilla is offline Associate Member

Houston.............

Houston, Texas.......

Ask Millard, he scams from there !

He can ,at least, tell you where all the western unions are !

TheInfamousApe

TheGorilla

I will be sure to avoid Millard then. That or we can hunt him down and hang him from the closest tree.

Captainutrition is offline Associate Member
    The traffic, heat, and idiots are the only problems with the Houston area. I live on the west side of Houston. I wish you well. One more gear-head would help.

majorpecs is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    NW side of Houston....wouldn't have it any other way!! My brother in law lives in Jersey village and works in Deer Park, he has a car pooler and it's about a 30-40 minute drive on the HOV during rush hour.

Captainutrition is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by majorpecs
    NW side of Houston....wouldn't have it any other way!! My brother in law lives in Jersey village and works in Deer Park, he has a car pooler and it's about a 30-40 minute drive on the HOV during rush hour.
    As Majorpecs will agree....there is a STRONG brotherhood here!!

Kayslay is offline New Member
    Houston is a nice place. I think anyone would like it here.

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TPAK
    I would be driving to the Leporte/deer Park area every day. I take it Harris county is a high tax area?
    If your working over in La Porte(I suspect it's a Chem job), you should check out Seabrook/Kemah. Still relatively small so traffic around town is not bad, extremely nice people. Almost no "gangsta thugs", butt loads of restaurants in Clear Lake and Kemah(the Boardwalk is great for the Fam). Right on the water(Clear Lake), housing is exceptionally reasonable, and your almost dead in the center of Houston and Galveston(30min to Houston/35-40 to Galv.). It would be a 15 minute drive tops to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheedno
    If your working over in La Porte(I suspect it's a Chem job), you should check out Seabrook/Kemah. Still relatively small so traffic around town is not bad, extremely nice people. Almost no "gangsta thugs", butt loads of restaurants in Clear Lake and Kemah(the Boardwalk is great for the Fam). Right on the water(Clear Lake), housing is exceptionally reasonable, and your almost dead in the center of Houston and Galveston(30min to Houston/35-40 to Galv.). It would be a 15 minute drive tops to work.
    Finally, another advocate for the SE side-bay area. Make sure you check it out TPAK before you make up your mind.

i was thinking of that area but i didn't know enough about it to give any suggestions, but yeah, clear lake is really nice...look there too

thanks guys. I will check out all those areas.

Thread Information