Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    I do lots of hunting also. Have a 15 point 195 B&C hanging on my wall. Lots of bird hunting also (quail, pheasant) with my dog...german shorthair pointer. I really enjoy bird hunting behind dogs...lots of fun to train pups and see them mature into seasoned bird dogs.

peace,

ttgb

TPAK is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alevok
    I hunt birds, ducks, geese, quails. sometimes wild boar... I used to compete in skeet shooting and that made me an excellent bird hunter.

I have always wanted to wild boar hunt with my bow. Someday I am going to take a trip and do just that.

Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    hunting boar with a bow is true sport - specially those big ones avlok has in Turkey - but better have a handgun just in case even you hit him once or 2x may not do it once they are on the run (toward you)

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by CYCLEON
    hunting boar with a bow is true sport - specially those big ones avlok has in Turkey - but better have a handgun just in case even you hit him once or 2x may not do it once they are on the run (toward you)
    Sharp teeth too! I was going to try it when livin' in Hawaii... unfortunatly I never did. Many times a dog or two would have to be carried home with the boar ...

Sounds like a great time. I have to do it. Have you hunted them with a bow CYCLEON?

I have not had the chance and havent done any hunting in awhile besides an occasional pheasant or grouse - just a rifle when I was bear and boar hunting - used a 35 lever action (dont want it jamming) - tragectory like a rainbow but good stopping power in brushy area - used a 3006 until my buddy unloaded his 6 clip into a boar on the charge - hit him 5 out of 6 and the boar only went down about 15-20 feet from him

always wanted to go shoot "pianos" in eastern europe - boars big as a piano over there

956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    F that! When i go after boars, i have an AK in hand, .45 on my side, knife, and sometime even a 7mm on my back gotta be prepared! When you see those tusks comin for you for the first time, youll sh1t your pants!!!

Superhuman is offline Banned
    I want to go bear hunting... anybody done that before? One time I was on vacation in Hawaii. I went on the Kalalaou(SP) trail in Kuaui and camped out at the beach at the end. (It's a 15 mile-or so hike through the rainforest). I ran out of food and tried to go Goat hunting, but all I had was a 4-inch long knife. I started throwing rocks at them, but they kept running away from me...

Ok the thought of them not giving up makes me want to bow hunt them even more. I am going to start looking into it. Time to get the arrows ready!

When I was younger a buddy and myself used to hunt Coons and left the guns at home. Nothing like go after one with your hands. They can put up a hell of a fight. What a rush!

When I was younger a buddy and myself used to hunt Coons and left the guns at home. Nothing like go after one with your hands. They can put up a hell of a fight. What a rush!

if you can surprise them and they dont know where you are they will drop if you get a good shot - if they get the adrenaline up, it seems they run on that and are VERY hard to stop in mid charge - best start looking for a rock to stand on or a tree to climb

I actually started hunting partridge with my 22, quite fun! You really have to sneak up on it and nail it with a head shot.

I got bored of using a shotgun, you can't miss... at least with a 22 there is a decent challenge...

Red

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by Swellin
    Did somebody call my name? I'll just skip that stuff Red was talking.

Yes sir, I'm a hunter. I do a lot of hunting, but very little killing. I am in it for the hunt...not the kill. Although, I take pride in my preperation for the kill, so I can do so with the least amount of suffering for the animal.

Bouncer, can you add parts and make mods to the 10/22? If so, I have some spare stuff you might really like to try. I build these things into tournament ready rifles. I have one with a 14 oz trigger, thumbhole silhoutte stock, and a suppressor. With the suppressor, my best group is .18 inches (5 shots at 50 yards from the bench). This is with a cheap barrel too. I have built another one that I have yet to shoot. I have been waiting 6 months on the custom benchrest stock for it, but it has some really nice parts. I have a 10/22 magnum that I have converted to a 10/17 magnum. I just need to finish building the stock for it...but I am lazy. I also have a K10/22T (Ruger's stainless target version). I sent it to CPC and had their full workup on it. In reasonable wind conditions, it will hold 3/4" groups at 100yards...pretty good for a 22.
    Well the parts list here in Ireland is rpetty small. Very, very few people in Ireland are gun owners. I've just got mine suppressed, a scope and bipods. No triger or barrel work done. And thats about it for modifications here unfortunetely. So yea, I'd love to get my hands on parts for it. As for its accuracy, to be honest I've never measured it but I hit most things with it. I used to hunt with a level action Bruno and dropped rabbits and foxes with that at upto and slightly over 200mtrs, but no way would I chance it with the Ruger. And besides, its pretty cruel to hit something that far out with low volocity rounds, even high volocity .22's aren't a good idea at that range, esp. for foxes.

Hunting with bows, now thats something I'd love to try. But again, getting the licence here is just that bit too hard to put me off the red tape bullsh*t.

Swellin, checkout the Ruger 10/22 in the sniper role in the Israeli Defence Forces!.

http://www.isayeret.com/weapons/sws/ruger/ruger.htm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Think I'll take the 'ol rifle out.......-ruger-3.jpg  

You can't get a bow there without a licence? **** bro the sucks. Come on over to the states next big game season and I will take ya out hunting with one.

alevok Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhuman
    I want to go bear hunting... anybody done that before? One time I was on vacation in Hawaii. I went on the Kalalaou(SP) trail in Kuaui and camped out at the beach at the end. (It's a 15 mile-or so hike through the rainforest). I ran out of food and tried to go Goat hunting, but all I had was a 4-inch long knife. I started throwing rocks at them, but they kept running away from me...
    bro they are like human, they cry when got shot, makes you feel so bad you dont even want to hunt again, but wild boars..., squeak mother f.u.c.k.e.r squeak.....

Some people use Dogo Argentino, Presas or pitbulls to hunt wild boars, that would be interesting to see.

whiteyk is offline Pimp in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhuman

i grew up on kauai, the boar's there are gnarly. what a coincidence

decadbal is offline Banned
    bear hunting and hog, thats it for me. deer huntin is for ppl who cant hunt but wanna say they can..lol

Philliagorillia is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER
    Swellin, checkout the Ruger 10/22 in the sniper role in the Israeli Defence Forces!.

http://www.isayeret.com/weapons/sws/ruger/ruger.htm
    If you add a black hogue stock to that rifle, it would look exactly like mine tha ti use for my tourney's. I also shoot large bore with a remington Vs 700, 26in free floating barrel, and too much other **** to list. Just your typical target/sniper rifle and it does a great job all the way out to 1000 yds, but im still learning my adjustments and learning how to gauge the wind at those ranges. I wonder if these skills are gonna help me when i go into the service, or if it will open any windows for me in the service.

Eddyflash is offline Junior Member
    I hunt EVERYTHING I can Deer, Geese, Ducks, Dove.. But my most favorite thing of all is bowhunting deer and Muskie fishing.. I could live for those two things man...

Quote Originally Posted by Philliagorillia
    If you add a black hogue stock to that rifle, it would look exactly like mine tha ti use for my tourney's. I also shoot large bore with a remington Vs 700, 26in free floating barrel, and too much other **** to list. Just your typical target/sniper rifle and it does a great job all the way out to 1000 yds, but im still learning my adjustments and learning how to gauge the wind at those ranges. I wonder if these skills are gonna help me when i go into the service, or if it will open any windows for me in the service.
    http://www.snipercountry.com/training.html

Philliagorillia is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER
    Looks like lots of good readin info, thanx bro, i just need to work on my 600-1000yd shots alot still. But eventually i'll get better it just takes some work and concentration. When i go in the service maybe i will be lucky enough to go thru sniper school, cant go wrong with having a few extra snipers running around...

How about a little bulpup stock for that 10/22?

http://groups.msn.com/CraigsRuger102...hoto&PhotoID=1

Looks wicked!

Red

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information