Thread: aa

Brian is offline Junior Member

aa

I have been taking various steroids for the last 3 years or so.. I have developed these red hard bumps on my shoulder blades and my chest. I tried to use a wart remover on the one on my chest but ended up kinda messy. I understand these are the result from taking androgens, but they are ugly and would like to get rid of them. Any advice?

bravo11p is offline Associate Member
    Without seeing them, I would say the best person to see would be a dermotologist or a plastic surgeon. These sound like cysts and thats probably the best way to rid them. A straightforward procedure with a small scar.

Thanks, I was hoping on not having to take it that far. Cysts from the oil? Tanning was working for a while but its almost like each cycle they get worse.

bravo11p is offline Associate Member
    Basically, these cysts develop their own little shells so to speak. It's called encapsulation. The doc just cuts the skin, identifies the capsule, and shells out the capsule whole, then sutures it up. The oils cause whats commonly called a sebaceous cyst which is a sebum or oil filled cyst kinda like a really big zit that won't pop. This procedure is done with a local anesthetic and in the office under most circumstances. Real easy and generally covered under insurance. Though I see your in Canada so I can't comment on the Canadian health care system since I don't know really anything about it. Let me know if you have any other questions bro. Peace.

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Hmm never heard of such? Course I am not expert. But if they are red, they don't sound like warts? I think bravo is kinda on the money, when he said go see a dermitologists. It could just be a form of syrosiss, however you spell it. If tanning was making it better, that could be it. They look like little red soars, and when tanning they can get kinda scabby.

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Cool Damn, bravo11p has out-TNT'd me again!

Bravo11p is absolutely right on, and has provided a very accurate description of both cysts and their treatment. The procedure is called an incision biopsi - a dermatologist injects the site with lidocaine (an anesthetic to numb the skin), then makes a smal incision with a scapel. The cyst can then be scooped right out. The site is then stitched (usually with only one or two sutures), and the suture is removed seven to ten days later. The best way to describe the cyst itself is to say that it looks like the eyeall of a whole fish after it's been baked. (Seriously. If you've ever cooked a whole fish in the oven you'll know what I mean.)

However, Brian, the bumps you describe are not necessarily cysts. It depends, in part, on the size of the bumbs (which you did not mention). They could be nodules, and could even be protruding bone. These bumps may or may not be anything to worry about from a medical purpose. That is, they may be more of a cosmetic problem, but you should still have them checked out.

My recommendation: See a dermatologist (as opposed to a plastic surgeon). If you've never done this, it will give you a chance to have a dermatologist eyeball your entire body for any unusual marks (such as warts, moles, etc.). In fact, a good dermatologist will always do a full-body overview for a new patient to spot any problems before they occur. this is of special importance for you, since you mentioned that you have done some tanning.

If necessary, you'll be referred to a plastic surgeon. But go with the dermatologist first since they tend to be less enthusiastic about making deep cuts into your body.

Sicilian30, great input. It's spelled psoriasis, which would throw anyone off because of the silent p, but you've obviously got a great heart, so we forgive you. It sounds like Brian's condition is probably not psoriasis, which manifests itself as a roughness/redness of the skin, but is usually not accompanied by bumps under the skin. Again, however, the best bet is to go for a full dermatological check-up (with emphasis obviously on the bumps). Because as much feedback as we can give you here, Brian, a good diagnosis takes an in-person exam by a medical professional.

Keep us informed, bro - what you find out may be helpful to several guys and gals here.

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    Well you learn something new everyday on this board!!

Thanks

Well, I have to say I am very thankful for all of your help. I am a little concerned about going to my family docter due to the fact he knows I have taken steroids in the past. I had an infection in my ass a year or so ago, since then we have had alot of differences. To me it is more of a cosmetic problem, but nevertheless I will talk to a doctor.

Thread Information