do older guys need more test than younger?

i was thinking that being 40 i may need more test to get good results than say a guy in his 20's anyone have an opinion?

map200uk is offline Anabolic Member
    i can see why you would think this, but we all react differently to different amts, some younger guys need higher amts than old guys, best way would be start on a normal amt i.e 500mg wk test e and see how it goes and then you will know for a future cycle if you need more

EastCoaster is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrider38
    i was thinking that being 40 i may need more test to get good results than say a guy in his 20's anyone have an opinion?

I'm just taking an educated guess here... but I dont think it matters what age you are. Because no matter what age you are, when you use AS you're going to shut down your own test levels, thus the majority of the test in your body is from the AS.... get it?

Froggy is offline Member
    I think an older guy might react more favorably to the same amount of test, due to the fact that his natural test levels have somewhat declined over the years. (IMO)

Lozgod is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoaster
    I'm just taking an educated guess here... but I dont think it matters what age you are. Because no matter what age you are, when you use AS you're going to shut down your own test levels, thus the majority of the test in your body is from the AS.... get it?

What he said.

Rhino58 is offline Senior Member
    I could see that older men might need more test. Makes sense that we would lose it over time.

Da Bull is offline Banned
    I'm 44 and need no more test than any of you young puppies.

bjayg is offline Member
    i wouldnt think older men like papa Bull need more test. lol j/k because test shuts down your own hpta. so were all with none at this point imo.

hammerhead is offline Member
    Testosterone is only one of many factors that will vary with age. For example, a 40 year-old man will not have a digestive system that is as efficient as a 25 year-old man. His liver is not as strong at protein synthesis. His heart may not be as strong and his body will have lower levels of many other things like creatine and ADT and growth hormone etc. His joints and ligaments aren't as durable. His metabolism is likely lower so gaining mass may actually be easier. The biggest problem for an older man is that the body's natural testosterone levels will not return as quickly post-cycle - so keeping those gains - especially with a lower metabolism - is harder.

So assuming an older man has less aggressive goals - then likey less testosterone is more suitable. I'm 40ish myself and i'm finding it easier to gain size and harder to gain strength as I get older. I find it especially harder to keep gains. I have not noticed where testosterone itself has a lower effect but my overall body is not what it used to be. Common sense tells us that i'm not going to get as much out of the same cycles that I used to get when I was 25. I'll never be as fit and as strong as I was back then. But my goals are different now. I don't aspire to be that strong again. I use less test now than I did then because my goals are lower.

If I really did want to achieve now what I could when I was 25 - yes it would take a lot more testosterone than it did when I was 25 because my body as a whole just isn't what it used to be. The machine is not as efficient.

I have a hard time imagining a 40 year-old man that thinks he needs a lot of testosterone or is even willing to take a heavy cycle and pack on weight he knows he can't maintain without juice. Getting the gains is one thing. Keeping them is the real challenge - especially at 40+.

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead
    Testosterone is only one of many factors that will vary with age. For example, a 40 year-old man will not have a digestive system that is as efficient as a 25 year-old man. His liver is not as strong at protein synthesis. His heart may not be as strong and his body will have lower levels of many other things like creatine and ADT and growth hormone etc. His joints and ligaments aren't as durable. His metabolism is likely lower so gaining mass may actually be easier. The biggest problem for an older man is that the body's natural testosterone levels will not return as quickly post-cycle - so keeping those gains - especially with a lower metabolism - is harder.

So assuming an older man has less aggressive goals - then likey less testosterone is more suitable. I'm 40ish myself and i'm finding it easier to gain size and harder to gain strength as I get older. I find it especially harder to keep gains. I have not noticed where testosterone itself has a lower effect but my overall body is not what it used to be. Common sense tells us that i'm not going to get as much out of the same cycles that I used to get when I was 25. I'll never be as fit and as strong as I was back then. But my goals are different now. I don't aspire to be that strong again. I use less test now than I did then because my goals are lower.

If I really did want to achieve now what I could when I was 25 - yes it would take a lot more testosterone than it did when I was 25 because my body as a whole just isn't what it used to be. The machine is not as efficient.

I have a hard time imagining a 40 year-old man that thinks he needs a lot of testosterone or is even willing to take a heavy cycle and pack on weight he knows he can't maintain without juice. Getting the gains is one thing. Keeping them is the real challenge - especially at 40+.
    All very good points. yet another factor to consider with age....
    Your total test will decrease with age, which isn't really relevant to someone cycling, since, as mentioned, your endogenous test isn't a significant contributor to your test levels on cycle. Additionally, your SHBG levels will tend to increase with age as does aromatase activity (which are both partly due to decreased test and DHT with age). So, you could agrue both ways.....an older person would probably respond more favorably to an equal amount of test due to their own endogenous levels being lower thana younger person'd, so the % increase during a cycle is more dramatic. However, there is also the factor of increased SHBG and an increased estrogen:androgen ratio, which may or may not be completely remedied by cycling.
    All in all, like DB said, the ole' silverbacks don't seem to need any more test than us young, healthy, virile, full of potential with our lives ahead of us people.

Froggy is offline Member
    "AMEN" brother hammerhead, well said.

Thread Information