SportsMedVIP is offline Anabolic Member

Electronic Body Fat Caliper question

Tried this in the Lounge. Didn't have much luck. I figure this is the next most sensible place. I'm looking to get an electronic bf caliper and would like to hear some opinions. From my own experience and research I'm thinking of getting a hand held one but would just like to see what everyone thought of the scale version and if there are any others better that I'm unaware of. I would like to have one for my upcoming cycle as I'll be running T3 and would like to do my bf in the morning along with resting temp. Thanks for the opinions guys and gals.

Stay Strong!

HollywoodM3 is offline Member
    bro
    I have one, I like it. they have a 6% +-. but if you take it first thing in the morning provided your are hydrated. and take an average over a wk, you can mark your progress. but if you want a try reading you have to take a dunk in the pool or get pinched.

HM

map200uk is offline Anabolic Member
    Yea the handheld bf calipers aren't bad...umm the scale version? Do you mean normal weighing scales which measure you bf? From everything ive read these aren't worth the money at all, very inaccurate

Quote Originally Posted by map200uk
    Yea the handheld bf calipers aren't bad...umm the scale version? Do you mean normal weighing scales which measure you bf? From everything ive read these aren't worth the money at all, very inaccurate
    Those are the ones I'm talking about. No good huh? Hollywood, what do you mean exactly by hydrated? I know the definition but do you mean just hydrated in general or should I wake up and suck down a few glasses before running it? Would it be fine if every morning I did it right away so it was consistent? More opinions everyone! Thanks.

HollywoodM3 is offline Member
    The hand held are +- 6%.
    no, dont go and drink a ton a water, but you should normally be hydrated. it makes it more accurate. take it first thing. and take an average. you will be good to go.

HM

madmaniac is offline Junior Member
    +-6% thats an huge range. i can easily guess with a better range than that.

Quote Originally Posted by madmaniac
    +-6% thats an huge range. i can easily guess with a better range than that.
    That's what you think. Keep guessing. That +- 6% isn't from test to test. From what I read it's that way because body compositions are different for different people but if you use it yourself under consistent conditions than you can track your progress pretty reliably. You may actually be 2% below or above your reading but when you lose BF and/or gain it you'll know.

the scale version is a piece bro. my parents bought one about 2 years ago. yeah, we always thought it was a 2+- but never 6. im glad you typed that hollywoodm3, much happier now. anyways just get pinched, what we did in wrestling and it was acurate

Demon Deacon is offline Anabolic Member
    my scale say i have 30 percent bf. The lady at the gym using calipers told me 22% and she was a little high on that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodM3
    The hand held are +- 6%.
    no, dont go and drink a ton a water, but you should normally be hydrated. it makes it more accurate. take it first thing. and take an average. you will be good to go.

HM
    Cool, that's what I thought. Thanks for the help HollywoodM3.

Stay Strong!

Anhydro78 is offline Anabolic Member
    Im guessing your talking about a Bio-impedance meter. If so they may be inaccurate but I think they are consistant. What ever percentage inaccurate, they measure the same body fat composition. From test to test they measure the same. Unlike with calipers, where two different people performing the same test on the same person will come out with different results. Even the same person performing the test twice on a person can come out with different results. But a Bio-impedance meter doesnt ussually measure below 6% body fat. Even if they are inaccurate they are consitant so they are a good way to gauge your progress.

I feel that calipers become more inaccurate as the person body fat exceeds 10% range. How can you measure an accurate stomach skin fold on a person with a body fat of say 20%. I dont think this is possible!! Even 15% will be hard!!!

Picked up a handheld online. Sharper Image. Gotta get me a digital thermometer now. Back to ebay!

beefydragon is offline Member
    we bought a pretty expensive scale with b/f caliper built in... I personally think it's a piece of sh*t... and i think we finally broke the darn thing... this morning i weight myself... weight remained the same as normal... but my b/f was 80%... almost had a f*** heart attack...

yeah, i need to go get pinched...

map200uk is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by beefydragon
    we bought a pretty expensive scale with b/f caliper built in... I personally think it's a piece of sh*t... and i think we finally broke the darn thing... this morning i weight myself... weight remained the same as normal... but my b/f was 80%... almost had a f*** heart attack...

yeah, i need to go get pinched...

LOL 80% bf, that's scary to even think of

Thread Information