Juicifer is offline Associate Member

When is the best time to take amino acids?

i searched and searched...for some reason this didn't come up...i plan on taking my aminos two times a day....before or after workout?

i have the three branched chain aminos (L-leucine, L- Isoleucine, L-Valine)

i have never supplemented w/ aminos and have made great gains...i'm hoping this will improve me thus much more... thanks in advance

i just looked up some info saying that branched chain aminos really have no use other than preserving muscle loss at high altitudes

PrairieDawg is offline Senior Member
    I've heard that taking aminos while taking protien is useless b/c your protein already contains enough of what your body needs. not sure on that thou maybe someone else knows...

big nick is offline New Member
    i usally take it when i wake up on an empty stomach or if i forget i just drink a shake

ImmmtheIceman is offline Senior Member
    i take them in the morning on an empty stomach, and before bed of course. Sometiems i take them beofre i work out, but like prairie said....dont take them with your protein since they already contain them.

rhapsody is offline Junior Member

not on empty stomach

look some vitamins & the aminos require other catalyst to attach & be absorbed. Therefore you DO NOT eat them alone unless you just wish to get a upset stomach. The best time to take aminos is twofold. 1st what kind are you taking? As a rule with breakfast. Your body is basically in a catabolic state (no food for 8 hrs). So along with a solid breakfast the tissues will be dieing for aminos. The other time is POST workout. Escpecially the BCAA's they are needed for growth. Glutamine is crucial as its the most amundant in muscells & if you do not replenish it , you body will rob whats left from muscell tissue. So I have to strongly dissagree with a few other posts responses.

Juicifer is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rhapsody
    look some vitamins & the aminos require other catalyst to attach & be absorbed. Therefore you DO NOT eat them alone unless you just wish to get a upset stomach. The best time to take aminos is twofold. 1st what kind are you taking? As a rule with breakfast. Your body is basically in a catabolic state (no food for 8 hrs). So along with a solid breakfast the tissues will be dieing for aminos. The other time is POST workout. Escpecially the BCAA's they are needed for growth. Glutamine is crucial as its the most amundant in muscells & if you do not replenish it , you body will rob whats left from muscell tissue. So I have to strongly dissagree with a few other posts responses.

sounds good...my protein shake has good amounts of aminos. I'll go for breakfast time and post workout...Those are your two most "starved" times so i'm sure something will be absorbed. i picked up "Optimum BCAA 1000 CAPS) thanks for the replies

Gear is offline HGH/IGF/Insulin Forum ~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Take them between your meals

anabolicwannabe is offline Associate Member
    sorry to bring up such an old thread. but up there rhapsody said we need to take BCAA and glutamine after training? what if your protein shake has them already? does Optimum Nutrition's 100% Whey contain enough BCAA and glutamine so save your muscles?

TexasFitnessGirl is offline Female Member
    I take my amino tablets post workout, they taste so horrible I had to start mixing them with my shake, couldnt eat them straight.

anabolicwannabe is offline Associate Member
    but some people claim that your shakes already have enough. i really wonder how do i tell which has enough, and which doesn't? hmm.

Thread Information