Thread: Peg 200?

ghr10 is offline New Member

Question Peg 200?

Can any one tell me what PEG 200 is? it is the last ingredient that i need to make oil based winny and i needed to know if it is something i can pick up at a pharmacy. or will i have to order it?

SV-1 is offline Respected Member
    You'll have to order it.

Polyethylene glycol (PEG) is a polymer made for ethylene oxide. It comes in almost any MW, from 200 to 60,000. 400 to 12,000 are the most common with 400 the most common for liquids and 2,500 for solid. (Anything over 800 to 1,000 is a solid at room temp.) It is nontoxic at any reasonable level. It is nonpolar while having lots of hydroxyl functionality. This makes it great for getting things to stay soluble in oil. Used a lot for compatibility reasons. Can also be used as a painless vehicle, instead of oil. Drawbacks include high viscosity and thermoplastic tendencies becoming more pronounced at the higher MWs. Also has mechanical properties (surface tension) that cause it to separate from oil. This may become less pronounced at the higher MWs but I have not had a chance to test this at this time.
    Technical info: CAS# 25322-68-3, Miscible in water at the lower MWs slowly decreasing as the MW goes up. Density: range: 1.1 to 1.2 (increases as molecular weight increases) Melting Point: Melting point increases as molecular weight increases: PEG 400 = 4-8C (39-46F) PEG 600 = 20-25C (68-77F) PEG1500 = 44-48C (111-118F)

ghr10 is offline New Member
    is it vital to make oil based winny, or will the BA and BB be enough? If not, where can i get some?

SV-1 is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghr10
    is it vital to make oil based winny, or will the BA and BB be enough? If not, where can i get some?
    I sent a reply to your pm.

Thread Information