BWhitaker is offline Senior Member

Whatman filters being reused

I know that this is the wrong forum, and i am being a hypocrit posting here. However, this is a question that i must get answered ASAP as my bud is reusing his whatman filters for his homebrew (He made 40ml @250mg/ml of test e, and he is going to do it all over again with the same filter) Is this bad like i think it is, or is it ok?

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    i'd get a new filter bro.....
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

jmp51483 is offline Member
    It will work but I wouldn't recommend it.. You take the chance of the filter clogging the second time around and breaking loose inside.. Boy wouldnt that suck

SV-1 is offline Respected Member
    DO NOT REUSE THE FILTERS!

BWhitaker is offline Senior Member
    That is what i thought. My understanding was that the filters were only good up to 100ml

Quote Originally Posted by BWhitaker
    That is what i thought. My understanding was that the filters were only good up to 100ml
    That's not the problem. The way you clen them is by running solvent back through them in the wrong direction. The second you run anything through the filter in the opposite direction, it's considered ruined (blown).

Quote Originally Posted by SV-1
    That's not the problem. The way you clen them is by running solvent back through them in the wrong direction. The second you run anything through the filter in the opposite direction, it's considered ruined (blown).
    From my understanding you don't run anything 'in the wrong direction.' You are correct in that you definitely don't want to draw up through the filter - aka in the 'wrong direction'. But, then again, for a long time lab members were advocating using the 'credit card' method of 'automated' filtering which required you do this.

To clean the filters you'd need iso alcohol or something similiar and you just filter the iso alcohol as if it were your gear. You then proceed to wrap the filter in aluminum foil and bake it for 20-30 minutes to evaporate off any residual iso alcohol. This will dissolve whatever particulate matter is in the filter and allow you to 'reuse' the filter. Nevertheless I don't advocate doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by AnabolicMaster
    From my understanding you don't run anything 'in the wrong direction.' You are correct in that you definitely don't want to draw up through the filter - aka in the 'wrong direction'. But, then again, for a long time lab members were advocating using the 'credit card' method of 'automated' filtering which required you do this.
    Every thread I've seen on the chem boards said to run it in reverse. As for the "credit card" method..... I did some checking and that is a no-go.

http://forums.anabolicreview.com/showthread.php?t=88103

Quote Originally Posted by AnabolicMaster
    To clean the filters you'd need iso alcohol or something similiar and you just filter the iso alcohol as if it were your gear. You then proceed to wrap the filter in aluminum foil and bake it for 20-30 minutes to evaporate off any residual iso alcohol. This will dissolve whatever particulate matter is in the filter and allow you to 'reuse' the filter. Nevertheless I don't advocate doing this.
    And I only see that working if the alcohol (or whatever) will dissolve the "crap" that the gear solvent wouldn't (and not mess up the membrane). Pluss the membrane can only take so much until it starts to degrade/rip/tear.

Remember that these things are not designed to be reused. Plus, filters are cheap.
    Last edited by SV-1; 06-17-2004 at 02:14 PM.

Thread Information