BUYLONGTERM is offline Anabolic Member

Anyone have experience with cortisone shots??

I'm about to start lifting again and if my shoulder begins to hurt, I want to try a cortisone shot. What (besides masking the pain) benefits does cortisone have? How long does it last?

BLT

frank_frank is offline Senior Member
    i had REALLLY bad muscle spasms in my lower back...so bad that i couldnt bend over to stretch my hamstrings and get back up without the help of a nearby object or my knees....

i say the cortizone shot saved my life!!
    if i didnt get it i dont think i could have continued to play football in high school, and i wouldnt be playing in college now...

anyway, it really broke up scar tissue in my back and i havent had problems since the shot...
    the shot was about 4 yrs ago-ish

i believe there r 2 meds in a cortizone shot...one fast acting one that is just to mask the pain temporarily from the needle beeing moved aroud a lot to breal up the scar tissue, and htne a long acting one

i say do it!!

qccat is offline Associate Member
    the shot works well if you have one certain "spot" that you can pinpoint the pain. I had to get one in my wrist and it saved me. But it can make things worse and just simply be painful if placed in a wrong spot. thats my .02

SportsMedVIP is offline Anabolic Member
    I know of someone who destroyed their shoulder with cortisone shots because they weren't aware of how infrequently you can use them. More than once or twice and you're asking for trouble. Serious trouble.

Rhino58 is offline Senior Member
    I wouldnt do it, seems like it just covers up the problem-making it worse down the road.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    6 weeks........ between injections.. 3 sets of injections........

effects will become less effective as long as duration goes....

but it should be what you need to recover............
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

So, I look at cortisone kinda like novacain (sp) It numbs it for awhile but doesn't do anything to heal it? Am I correct? I really really need to start lifting and I'm afraid the shoulder will begin to hurt again and I will be devastated

Quote Originally Posted by buylongterm
    So, I look at cortisone kinda like novacain (sp) It numbs it for awhile but doesn't do anything to heal it? Am I correct? I really really need to start lifting and I'm afraid the shoulder will begin to hurt again and I will be devastated
    think of it as allowing you to rebuild the muscle, and yes stops the pain... but it does more than that... it helps in the recovery also...

Rules

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.

Quote Originally Posted by spywizard
    think of it as allowing you to rebuild the muscle, and yes stops the pain... but it does more than that... it helps in the recovery also...
    COOL. Thanks!!!! Now, I have to try and talk my Dr. in giving me some and that will NOT be easy!!!!

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    It doesn't help rebuild the muscle, it stops inflammation and tissue growth which is why it gets rid of the pain. Cortizone is a mask and nothing more. BLT, I would only consider having cortizone shots if you are willing to eventually have surgery on the shoulder and want to train harder in the meantime. I have had a few and they are definitely an effective short term fix.

Quote Originally Posted by spywizard

Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    It doesn't help rebuild the muscle, it stops inflammation and tissue growth which is why it gets rid of the pain. Cortizone is a mask and nothing more. BLT, I would only consider having cortizone shots if you are willing to eventually have surgery on the shoulder and want to train harder in the meantime. I have had a few and they are definitely an effective short term fix.
    there ya go........

i was on pain killers/anti inflamitants for 2 years...

finally found a doc that did the shots... t6 area... that afternoon i was good to go..

3 months later i was working out again.. .so it worked wonders for me..

avoided a surgery on my back...............

that was 12 years ago............

Rules

OverDrive is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    It doesn't help rebuild the muscle, it stops inflammation
    Hey man .. nothing wrong with cortizone shots. I've had them time and time again. It basically reduces inflammation commonly caused by bursitis in the shoulder capsule.

Having said that .. you should of course make sure your shoulder pain isn't from a more severe injury such as a torn tendon or ligament.

Its been a year since my last injection and my shoulder feels great now.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Guys I am not against cortizone shots, I have had several over the years. Biggest point IMO is to be careful because it can be easy to further injure yourself training hard on anything that masks pain. Glad you guys had such good results with the stuff. I have had shots that seemed to cure my injuries for some time but inevitably they eventually came back after I stopped getting shots.

Thread Information