ripped4fsu is offline Anabolic Member

Proper behavior while cycling

1) Will drinking alcohol (moderately) on a cycle of winny do me in?!

2) Can too much protein be harmful? If so, what is too much?

3) Does milk thistle and cranberry juice really work for liver detox?

4) If I get sick (flu) can I stop a cycle for say 5 days and then resume?

I also heard Flax seed oil and Amino acids are good so I got some of them...
    hell, if somebody told me cowshit baths grew muscle I'd be neck deep!
    thanks,
    Ripper

RageControl is offline Senior Member
    You can only use as much protien as you body can absorb. I never heard of too much being harmfull

Milk thristle and cranberry juice work great.

jersey juice is offline Member
    As far as I know, too much protein will get stored as fat if your body doesn't use it. Pure protein (whey) on the other hand will just get pissed out. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please..

nautica is offline Associate Member
    After seeing question #1 - I had to post this. Written by plug1 from elite.

Alcohol Oral Steroids and your Liver
    Derive from it what you will but I take it that you WILL still grow if youve had a bevvy but 30% less than you would with out and serious liver damage can occur with LONG term HEAVY use of steroids or alchohol (so combining the 2 obviously isn't good). Also the liver is pretty bloody resiliant but I do concur that its not good to destroy it seeings as we've only got 1.

Some of this may seem unrelated but Im quite new to this so I gave it my best shot.

but here you go anyway...

Alcohol promotes water loss. Alcohol depresses production of the antidiuretic hormone. Increases urination, which increases loss of body fluid increases thirst. For each 10 gm of alcohol consumed (approximately one drink) 4 oz of body fluid is lost.
    Water loss caused by alcohol consumption involves the additional loss of important minerals such as magnesium, potassium, calcium and zinc. These are vital to the maintenance of fluid balance and to nerve and muscle action and coordination.
    Alcohol interferes with the metabolism of fat and glucose. Fats and glucose are diverted into making body fat which accumulates in the liver cells.
    Synthesis of fatty acids is accelerated as a result of the liver's exposure to alcohol. Fat can accumulate in the liver after a single night of heavy drinking.
    The presence of alcohol alters amino acid metabolism in the liver cells. Protein deficiency can develop in heavy drinkers, both from the depression of protein synthesis in the cells and a poor diet.
    Heavy alcohol use can interfere with the intestinal cells' ability to absorb thiamin, folacin, and vitamin B12. Nutrient deficiencies are almost an inevitable consequence of heavy drinking because alcohol directly interferes with the body's use of nutrients, making important water soluble vitamins ineffective even when present in adequate amounts.(Vitamin b12 is important for carbohydrates and fat metabolism).
    Alcohol use can raise blood pressure.
    Two thirds of the calories in beer are alcohol derived (7 Kcal/gm). These calories are used primarily for heat and are not stored as muscle glycogen.
    Use of alcohol causes impaired gluconegenesis and lowers resting muscle glycogen levels.
    Alcohol use results in decreased exercise time to exhaustion and decreased performance in middle-distance running events.
    Athletes engaged in activities that require precise fine motor control, have a perception of reduced tension and increased relaxation as a result of alcohol, but the actual effect is decreased eye-hand coordination and impaired judgement and tracking.
    Metabolism of alcohol interferes with breakdown of lactic acid and can result in build-up of lactic acid in the blood when alcohol is consumed right before or after strenuous exercise.
    Alcohol is a vasodilator: it causes the blood vessels near the surface of the skin to expand and thereby promotes heat loss and lower body temperature.
    The use of alcohol the evening prior to an athletic event may be detrimental to performance. One study showed airline pilots performed consistently worse in task requiring attention and visual-motor coordination skills, 14 hours after igesting enough alcohol to reach a .10-.12 BAC (blood alcohol concentration). This BAC is reached when a 140lb. woman consumes 4-5 drinks in one hour.

"Alcohol acts as a direct toxin to type-2 fast twitch muscle fibers; the type most responsive to muscle hypertrophy (increase in size). A few studies have appeared in the journal Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research (22;1998). One examined the effects of a 12-week diet containing alcohol on protein synthesis rates in mice. Alcohol decreased muscle protein synthesis rates by 23-26% in the fast-twitch fibers of the rodents that habitually consumed moderate servings of alcohol. What appeared to cause this alcohol-induced drop in muscle building was a marked reduction in the anabolic hormone, insulin -like growth factor-1 (IGF-1). In the presence of alcohol, circulating levels of IGF-1 dropped by up to 42%! That's IGF-1 in blood and muscle.

The largest of the internal organs, the liver, "weighs in" at 2.5 to 5 pounds. It is suspended behind the ribs on the upper right side of the abdomen and spans almost the entire width of the body over to the heart. It has two separate lobes that operate independently of each other (in case one side stops functioning). One unique feature of the liver is that it is capable of regenerating itself after a portion is removed. After a loss of up to 75% due to injury or surgery the remaining liver can grow back and be restored to normal size within several months.

Theres not too much in there about oral steroids but you see what Im getting at...

wonderful world of oz,where juice is free,plentiful,sterile, and not toxic to the liver
    YOUR PROTEIN ABSORBTION RATE DEPENDS DIRECTLY ON YOUR NITROGEN BALANCE(WHICH IS INCREASED WITH TECHNOLOGY FROM CERTAIN PROTEIN BRANDS) AND ON BODYWEIGHT. BODY FAT PERCENTAGE AND MUCSLE MASS ALSO PLAYS A PART IN HOW MUCH PROTEIN YOU CAN ABSORB ALSO. I STICK TO BASICS AND AT 285 POUNDS EAT ROUGLY 55 GRAMS PER SITTING, AT 7 SITTINGS PER DAY THAT WOULD EQUAL ABOUT 1.6 TIMES MY BODYWEIGHT,WHICH IS A RULE OF THUMB FOR BODYBUILDERS, NOW IF YOUR A POWERLIFTER GO UP TO 2.0 GRAMS PER POUND

Methuselah is offline Member
    Is that per pound of body weight or per pound of lean body mass?

wonderful world of oz,where juice is free,plentiful,sterile, and not toxic to the liver
    that's per pound of bodyweight

so if your 150 pounds eat roughly 225 grams of protein a day

NightOp is offline Member
    lots of good info nautica very interesting, im saving that puppy.

Thread Information