synthetic is offline Associate Member

ot: heavy lifting and blood pressure

ive been doing soem heavy deadlift recently, with weights i pulled at 230 but now im pulling at 210-200....i have been noticing my blood pressure increases when i go to rest at night and my heart beats heavy, feel slight contraction in lower lower breast bone...what could this be?'

only thing im takign is creatine (v12)
    Last edited by synthetic; 06-24-2004 at 02:42 PM.

dirtybrit55 is offline Member
    bent legs or straight

BWhitaker is offline Senior Member
    Lifting very heavy weights increases pressure quite largely. Hypertension (which usually requires meds) is 140/90 but when using weights in the 1-3 rep range the pressures were as much as 2-2.5 times that high. Yes it is true that it only stays high during the lift and really shouldnt raise your normal blood pressure much. However, i think that the bigger concern is that when the pressure gets that high, many tiny vessels in the brain burst and nuerons die. Now once or twice is nothing...even doing it 100 times you probably wont notice a difference. But think about doing it every day for 30 years!!!! Either way, doesnt keep me away from the heavy weights

jmp51483 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BWhitaker
    Lifting very heavy weights increases pressure quite largely. Hypertension (which usually requires meds) is 140/90 but when using weights in the 1-3 rep range the pressures were as much as 2-2.5 times that high. Yes it is true that it only stays high during the lift and really shouldnt raise your normal blood pressure much. However, i think that the bigger concern is that when the pressure gets that high, many tiny vessels in the brain burst and nuerons die. Now once or twice is nothing...even doing it 100 times you probably wont notice a difference. But think about doing it every day for 30 years!!!! Either way, doesnt keep me away from the heavy weights
    So are you saying we are all going to be Dumb a bricks in 20 years?

synthetic is offline Associate Member
    really wondering if its a heart problem, or if all this crap is just anxiety.....i was doing normal deads at my max for 2 rep then switched to sdls....

BWhitaker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmp51483
    So are you saying we are all going to be Dumb a bricks in 20 years?
    Im not really saying that. Im just saying that there is some good research that shows a possibility that cognitive function could be inhibited by intense lifting.

I do see a lot of very eductated older lifters such as fred hatfield, etc that show it the other side, but the dumb big lifter stereotype had to come from somewhere lol.

Carl Carlson is offline Junior Member
    I'm a powerlifter and every time I squat or deadlift really heavy (3 reps or less) I burst cappilaries all through my face and neck............I've had what appeared to be two black eyes just from squatting heavy. Also, just last week, I turned my entire neck purple (only lasts 2-3 days) from deadlifting.

I wear it like a badge of honor......although I'm sure my blood pressure is through the roof when it happens.

georgie24 is offline Member
    thats sooo not worth the reward imo

Lozgod is offline Anabolic Member
    I was reading a study online about 6 months ago, during a heavy lift your blood pressure shoots up to about 220/120 instananeously, but immediately goes back down when you are done lifting.

Thread Information