Thread: Military

Tuff1 is offline Junior Member

Military

Does anyone know if the military checks for steroids ?
    Thanks
    Tuff1

Ammar is offline Senior Member
    My buddy went to the Navy and he cycles so I would have to say no...

PERSIANBOLIC is offline Junior Member
    I dont think so.

m16a2 is offline Senior Member
    military steroid tests are conducted only if your commanding officer requests it. Due to the cost, it is not a routine test.

Swellin Guest
    Here is an article I found recently while researching the subject:

DoD labs test 60,000 urine samples each month. All active duty members must undergo a urinalysis at least once per year. Members of the Guard and Reserves must be tested at least once every two years. There are several protections built-in to the system to ensure accurate results.

First, individuals initial the label on their own bottles. The bottles are boxed into batches, and the test administrator begins a chain-of-custody document for each batch.

This is a legal document Everybody who has had something to do with that sample signs it - whether it be the observer who watched the person collect the sample, the person who puts it into the box or the person who takes it out of the box. There is always a written record of who those individuals are.

The chain-of-custody requirement continues in the lab as well. People who come in contact with each sample and what exactly they do to the sample are written on the document.

After arrival at the lab, samples then undergo an initial immunoassay screening (using the Olympus AU-800 Automated Chemistry Analyzer). Those that test positive for the presence of drugs at this point undergo the same screen once again. Finally, those that come up positive during two screening tests are put through a much more specific gas chromatography/mass spectrometry test. This test can identify specific substances within the urine samples.

Even if a particular drug is detected, if the level is below a certain threshold, the test result is reported back to the commander as negative.

DoD labs are equipped to test for marijuana, cocaine, amphetamines, LSD, opiates (including morphine and heroin), barbiturates and PCP. But not all samples are tested for all of these drugs.

Every sample gets tested for marijuana, cocaine and amphetamines, including ecstasy. Tests for other drugs are done at random on different schedules for each lab. Some laboratories do test every sample for every drug.

Commanders can request samples be tested for steroids. In this case, the samples are sent to the Olympic testing laboratory at the University of California at Los Angeles.

Commonly available substances such as golden seal and lasix are often touted as magical substances that can mask drugs in urine. In fact, they can make it easier to get caught. These substances are diuretics, so if they're taken before giving a urine sample they flush chemicals out of the body - right into the collection cup. Drugs are often more concentrated in the urine after a service member takes one of these substances.

And other "sure-fire" solutions are even worse for you. Some people drink vinegar. There are stories of some people drinking bleach. None of these will defeat the urinalysis test.

Over- the-counter cold medications and dietary supplements might cause a screening test to come up positive, but that the more specific secondary testing would positively identify the medication. In this case, the report that goes back to the commander says negative.

How the results of drug tests can be used legally, depends upon the reason for the urinalysis test.

Random Testing. By regulation, each military member must be tested at least once per year. Reserve members must be tested at least once every two years. This is done by means of "random testing." Basically, a commander can order that either all or a random-selected sample of his/her unit be tested, at any time. Results of random testing can be used in court-martials (Under Article 1128a of the Uniform Code of Military Justice), article 15s (nonjudicial punishment), and involuntary discharges. This includes using the results to determine service characterization (honorable, general, or other-than-honorable). Members do not have the right to refuse random testing. However, commanders cannot order specific individuals to take a "random" test. Those selected must be truly "random."

Medical Testing. This is testing which is accomplished in compliance with any medical requirements. Urinalysis tests given to new recruits falls under this category. As with Random Testing, results can be used in court-martials, article 15s, and involuntary discharges, to include service characterization. Members do not have a right to refuse medical testing in the military.

Probable Cause. If a commander has probable cause that a person is under the influence of drugs, the commander can request a search authorization from the Installation Commander, who is authorized to issue "military search warrants" after consultation with the JAG. Again, results of urinalysis tests obtained through search authorizations can be used in court-martials, article 15s, and involuntary discharges, including service characterization. Members cannot refuse to provide a urine sample which has been authorized by a military search warrant.

Consent. If a commander does not have probable cause, the commander can ask the member for "consent to search." If the member grants consent, the results of the urinalysis may be used in court-martials, article 15s, and involuntary discharges to include service characterization. Under this procedure, members do not have to grant consent.

Commander Directed. If a member refuses to grant consent, and if the commander does not have enough evidence to warrant a probable-cause search warrant, the commander may order the member to give a urine sample anyway. However, commander-directed urinalysis results may not be used for court-martial or article 15 purposes. The results MAY be used as a reason for involuntary discharge, but MAY NOT be used to determine service characterization. In other words, the member can be discharged, but what kind of discharge he/she receives (honorable, general, other-than-honorable) depends upon his/her military record (WITHOUT using the urinalysis results).

***This was a chart showing the level at which will show up on a test(on the left hand side), and how much is required for a positive result (on the right hand side)***

DOD Urinalysis (Drug Test) Cutoff Levels)
    Drug Screening Level (Nanograms per milliliter) Confirmation Level (Nanograms per milliliter)
    THC (Marijuana) 50 NG/ML 15 NG/ML
    Cocaine 150 NG/ML 100 NG/ML
    Opiates:
    Morphine 2000 NG/ML 4000 NG/ML
    Codeine 2000 NG/ML 2000 NG/ML
    Heroin (6 MAM) 300 NG/ML 10 NG/NL
    Amphetamines 500 NG/ML 500 NG/ML
    Methamphetamine 500 NG/ML 500 NG/ML
    MDA/MDMA (Ecstasy) 500 NG/ML 500 NG/ML
    Barbiturates (Amobarbital, butalbital, Pentobarbital, Secobarbital) 200 NG/ML 200 NG/ML
    PCP 25 NG/ML 25 NG/ML
    LSD .5 NG/ML 0.2 NG/ML
    Drug Detection Windows
    Drug Detection Windows
    THC (Marijuana) 1-3 Weeks*
    Cocaine 2-4 Days
    Amphetamines 2 Days
    Barbiturates 1-2 Days
    Opiates` 1-2 Days
    PCP 5-7 Days
    LSD 1-2 Days
    Steroids 3 Days or Longer**
    Notes:

* Longer than 3 weeks is indicative of chronic or heavy use.
    ** Length of detection determined by type and duration of use.

Information Courtesy of Department of Defense, the United States Navy, and the Manual for Courts-Martial

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    So basically when I go in to the army in 3 years as an officer, Ill be pretty huge from the supplements I plan on taking, and theyll get suspicious and test me.

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    But if youre not on "steroids " you'll come out clean... onnn kerrrr

50%Natural is offline Respected Member
    i know a guy juicing in army basic training right now, know quite a few naval buds who juice...they cruise through thailand...the aas hotbead of the world so it is quite easy

MBaraso is offline Retired Mod
    If you give them a reason they can and will test you.
    OSI loves nailing juicers lately from what I've heard.

m16a2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 50%Natural
    i know a guy juicing in army basic training right now, know quite a few naval buds who juice...they cruise through thailand...the aas hotbead of the world so it is quite easy

There is no way in hell someone is juicing through basic training. You gotta be mistaken.

aussiejuicer is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by m16a2
    There is no way in hell someone is juicing through basic training. You gotta be mistaken.
    I agree with this. I was in the army and during basic training, you never really had time to inject unless you did it in the middle of the night while everyone was asleep. I don't know how basic training is overseas, but there was no weight training here, just push ups and running which isn't going to get you big.

I regards to the testing, i think they randomnly test for recreational drugs and only really target people for steroid tests if you turn up after leave or something suddenly looking 30lbs bigger.

craneboy is offline Senior Member
    they wont test for AS without cause

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    Only upon suspicion- ordered by a unit commander. dont worry. MEPS, random unrine tests dont check for them. they are trying to run out dopers, meth heads and those xtacy-rave kids.

rhapsody is offline Junior Member
    Look, I spent 12 yrs in the military. For the most part they do not test for roids. There has to be a specific request by the commander. I would suggest you complete the cycle AND pct before you go. Its totally ludicrous to think you can be on aas while in training. On a following note its wise to stay clean evan after, why chance your career? But if you do I would suggest orals that have a short half-life

Swellin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rhapsody
    Look, I spent 12 yrs in the military. For the most part they do not test for roids. There has to be a specific request by the commander. I would suggest you complete the cycle AND pct before you go. Its totally ludicrous to think you can be on aas while in training. On a following note its wise to stay clean evan after, why chance your career? But if you do I would suggest orals that have a short half-life
    This sounds pretty darn good. I would add that those orals need to be the kind that don't bloat you (dbol or drol would be a dead give away).
    Maybe suspension and var would be good.

John88Test is offline Member
    edited
    Last edited by John88Test; 06-12-2008 at 07:51 PM.

sepjuice is offline Anabolic Member
    common piss test DOD no, under investigation or referral yes.

Thread Information