Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 45
  1. #1
    flabbywussy's Avatar
    flabbywussy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,381

    Why take solid foods instead of .....

    My question is that i don't understand why everyone recommends to take more solid foods,and replace some of the protien shakes if you aren't gaining. IMO , I think it would take much longer for the protien to be digested if it was solid food. i just rememberwhen i used to go out alot and drink then i would get the beer munchies and get a hamburger or something. well, about 2 hours later i got sick and out came the food in chunks(not to gross anyone out) if it takes that long for your food(solids) to digest then you're better off eating solid protien 2 hours BEFORE your workout instead of after. i also thought about how food gets digested faster while on AAS, but that also depends on what kind of AAS you are taking. so my point is SOLID FOODS AREN'T FOR EVERYONE.by the way i ate mostle shakes during my cycle and gained 35 lbs. not a flame post,just a discussion

  2. #2
    redwizza is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by flabbywussy
    My question is that i don't understand why everyone recommends to take more solid foods,and replace some of the protien shakes if you aren't gaining. IMO , I think it would take much longer for the protien to be digested if it was solid food. i just rememberwhen i used to go out alot and drink then i would get the beer munchies and get a hamburger or something. well, about 2 hours later i got sick and out came the food in chunks(not to gross anyone out) if it takes that long for your food(solids) to digest then you're better off eating solid protien 2 hours BEFORE your workout instead of after. i also thought about how food gets digested faster while on AAS, but that also depends on what kind of AAS you are taking. so my point is SOLID FOODS AREN'T FOR EVERYONE.by the way i ate mostle shakes during my cycle and gained 35 lbs. not a flame post,just a discussion
    sry to say this, but your logic about digestion and what not is rediculous. there are amino acids (building blocks of protein), carbs, and fats in your blood system so its not like the timing of food digestion matters. the only times i would take mrp or whey is when i either dont have time to eat a solid meal or dont have time to make it....otherwise, since the digestion of the nutrients is slower and since solid meals do carry (most times) alot more fiber in it than powder, insulin spikes will not occur as much (blood sugar levels will be more stable), therefore fat gains could be better controled. and u say u gained 35 pounds well i bet most of it was water and fat, and i can tell from your nick name.
    Last edited by redwizza; 06-26-2004 at 02:34 AM.

  3. #3
    musclehead1 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    532
    Quote Originally Posted by flabbywussy
    My question is that i don't understand why everyone recommends to take more solid foods,and replace some of the protien shakes if you aren't gaining. IMO , I think it would take much longer for the protien to be digested if it was solid food. i just rememberwhen i used to go out alot and drink then i would get the beer munchies and get a hamburger or something. well, about 2 hours later i got sick and out came the food in chunks(not to gross anyone out) if it takes that long for your food(solids) to digest then you're better off eating solid protien 2 hours BEFORE your workout instead of after. i also thought about how food gets digested faster while on AAS, but that also depends on what kind of AAS you are taking. so my point is SOLID FOODS AREN'T FOR EVERYONE.by the way i ate mostle shakes during my cycle and gained 35 lbs. not a flame post,just a discussion

    i think its recommended that u down a shake right after your workout....u do have a point but compare a bber thats veggie to a meat eater i would wanna look like the meat eater....another reason why people probably perfer solid to shake is that shakes are synthetic and well meat is it.....i have a feelin sumone like swole knows a real good reason.

  4. #4
    Anhydro78's Avatar
    Anhydro78 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,439
    Calories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You want to eat major amounts of calories if you are in a bulking stage. Plus there is alot more micronutrients in real food. My protein shakes have about 100 calories per serving. to get 4,000 calories a day you would have to consume 40 servings of protein powder alone. Thats about one container. Really 4,000 calories aint sh!t either. Then you want to have solid food in your stomach to slow things down in your digestive tract. If all you do is drink meal replacement shakes and such everything is gonna just run through you.

    Some will be able to explain this better im sure, but theres a little tid bit.

  5. #5
    MMC78's Avatar
    MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,310
    This thread makes me dizzy. Yes, solid food is best. But for someone with a tempermental digestive tract, liquid foods are easier to digest and tend to cause less bloat.

    If you're bulking, then clean calories are what matters--get them however you can. Come contest time most people switch to mostly solid foods.

  6. #6
    x_muscle is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    64
    cuse solid food have fiber, minerals, and essiental nutritient that not found in shakes

  7. #7
    LORDBLiTZ Guest
    I've made good gains on mostly shakes with only a couple solid meals a day. I hate eating so shakes really do help out. If you're going to be taking in mostly shakes, make sure you have a couple large solid meals a day tho.

  8. #8
    Anhydro78's Avatar
    Anhydro78 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,439
    Theres no way you can consume the nessacary calories with simple protein shakes. Dont tell him that!!!!!!! Weight gainers maybe but then its a matter of what actually gets absorbed. When im bulking Im sick of food too!!!!! I just got done bulking for 3 months and I can tell you im not gonna have a bit of a problem dieting. But then my luck, my mind will go into starvation mode. Just eat. Make yourself eat!!!!!!!!!!

  9. #9
    Quake is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    At the gym
    Posts
    623

    Exclamation Wtf??

    Quote Originally Posted by flabbywussy
    My question is that i don't understand why everyone recommends to take more solid foods,and replace some of the protien shakes if you aren't gaining. IMO , I think it would take much longer for the protien to be digested if it was solid food. i just rememberwhen i used to go out alot and drink then i would get the beer munchies and get a hamburger or something. well, about 2 hours later i got sick and out came the food in chunks(not to gross anyone out) if it takes that long for your food(solids) to digest then you're better off eating solid protien 2 hours BEFORE your workout instead of after. i also thought about how food gets digested faster while on AAS, but that also depends on what kind of AAS you are taking. so my point is SOLID FOODS AREN'T FOR EVERYONE.by the way i ate mostle shakes during my cycle and gained 35 lbs. not a flame post,just a discussion
    In post #30 of this thread -

    Anything wrong with this cycle?

    you claim to be a bio-chemist. If you are, then why do you not know the answer to this fairly simple question? I'm no expert, in fact I know nothing, but I have an inkling that bio-chemistry would teach you a little sense about such questions as you ask here. I'm not calling you out or anything, but you gave me a humiliating flaming on my thread. Just thought that, if I could, I'd see what I could do for you in return.

    "BIOCHEMISTRY - THE STUDY OF THE CHEMICAL AND PHYSICO-CHEMICAL PROCESSES OF LIVING ORGANISMS.

    PHYSICO-CHEMICAL - RELATING TO PHYSICS OR CHEMISTRY OR PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY."

    Oxford Concise English Dictionary

    (I apologise in advance to the mods for this dig to another member of AR, if you want me to delete this thread then let me know. THNX)
    Last edited by Bouncer272001; 06-26-2004 at 04:00 AM.

  10. #10
    flabbywussy's Avatar
    flabbywussy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by redwizza
    sry to say this, but your logic about digestion and what not is rediculous. there are amino acids (building blocks of protein), carbs, and fats in your blood system so its not like the timing of food digestion matters. the only times i would take mrp or whey is when i either dont have time to eat a solid meal or dont have time to make it....otherwise, since the digestion of the nutrients is slower and since solid meals do carry (most times) alot more fiber in it than powder, insulin spikes will not occur as much (blood sugar levels will be more stable), therefore fat gains could be better controled. and u say u gained 35 pounds well i bet most of it was water and fat, and i can tell from your nick name.
    hey retard i think you are rediculous and ignorant obviously most protein shakes contain less carbs then real food,duh so how is it you figure i put on mostly fat and wether you know it or not there is no flaming allowed on this board.my statement was an opinion (IMO) IN MY OPINION! so why don't you learn how to read then show some respect for other members by not biting there head off,this is not a good way to make friends.

    by the way this is from bodybuilding.com where is your sources????


    "Secondly I think its important that the protein and carbohydrates be liquid in nature. Solid foods simply take longer to digest in the stomach. The longer we need to wait for the nutrients to be delivered to the small intestine for absorption, the more tissue breakdown can occur".

    "More over, after intense training, the rate that material is actually dumped into the small intestine from the stomach is much slower. So liquid supplements are highly sought after at this time. I would also recommend taking some anti-oxidants after cardio as well, like vitamin C, E, beta-carotene, alpha lipoic acid, NAC, etc. Most free radicals are nothing more than un-paired Oxygen molecules. So I think it is safe to say aerobic exercise will create more of them than resistance training. "

    "You're probably thinking a meal replacement that would fit the bill at this time, but there is only one problem. Most MRP's are comprised mainly of casein, which takes a very long time to digest. Whey hydrolysates, isolates and concentrates, in order of preference, are what should be taken in the period immediately after any work out. The longer it takes the nutrient to get into the blood, the more muscle breakdown can occur. Whey is a much faster "acting" protein than casein."

    if this sounds wrong to you it's because you're probably only 17 (so you shouldn't be here on this site anyway)and too naive to comprehend

  11. #11
    flabbywussy's Avatar
    flabbywussy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,381
    Anything wrong with this cycle?

    "you claim to be a bio-chemist."


    sorry if you are gullible,and do not understand sarcasm wtf????

  12. #12
    flabbywussy's Avatar
    flabbywussy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by redwizza
    sry to say this, but your logic about digestion and what not is rediculous. there are amino acids (building blocks of protein), carbs, and fats in your blood system so its not like the timing of food digestion matters. the only times i would take mrp or whey is when i either dont have time to eat a solid meal or dont have time to make it....otherwise, since the digestion of the nutrients is slower and since solid meals do carry (most times) alot more fiber in it than powder, insulin spikes will not occur as much (blood sugar levels will be more stable), therefore fat gains could be better controled. and u say u gained 35 pounds well i bet most of it was water and fat, and i can tell from your nick name.

    says the man who does not know fina and deca is a no,no
    by the way,about my "nickname" ....it's called sarcasm,but you couldn't figure that out because you're only 17.

    http://67.18.108.244//showthread.php?t=101019
    Last edited by flabbywussy; 06-26-2004 at 06:06 AM.

  13. #13
    flabbywussy's Avatar
    flabbywussy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC78
    This thread makes me dizzy. Yes, solid food is best. But for someone with a tempermental digestive tract, liquid foods are easier to digest and tend to cause less bloat.

    If you're bulking, then clean calories are what matters--get them however you can. Come contest time most people switch to mostly solid foods.
    exactly what i'm talking about EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT! other people may be able to take in 4000+ calories,but it is too much for me and gets me fat.carbs in the late afternoon is un needed for me unless i work out at night.

  14. #14
    Da Bull's Avatar
    Da Bull is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    X
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by flabbywussy
    exactly what i'm talking about EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT! other people may be able to take in 4000+ calories,but it is too much for me and gets me fat.carbs in the late afternoon is un needed for me unless i work out at night.
    I agree to some extent with your agrument.I'm older(44)so I don't require the high cals younger ppl need.maintenance for me is around 2800 cals ED.When bulking I can't go above 3500 cals,it will become fat then.Since I don't require high cals,I find it easier to eat solid foods during the course of the day,excluding PWO of course.With solid foods,at least I'm not hungry all the time as opposed to slugging down shakes that leave you hungry 1/2 hr later.
    Years ago,I did make nice gains using many shakes during the day.And I never bought into this 1.5-2 grams per pound of body weight.I've gained well of 1g,and noticed when I went to 1.5 grams,bf started to show up.I also don't require alot of carbs either.But my age plays in big role in the statements I made above.when I was in my early 20's,I could eat anything I wanted all day long,and not put on an ounce of fat.
    So I get a kick out of reading posts that tell ppl you must take in 5k in cals Ed.These guys don't now a persons age or how fast or slow thier metabolism is.I'm sure advice like that has turned many bros on these boards into fat pigs on cycle,just because they had it drilled in thier head you HAVE to take in X amount of cals Ed or you won't grow...BS I say!!!
    Last edited by Da Bull; 06-26-2004 at 04:41 AM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,145
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Bull
    I agree to some extent with your agrument.I'm older(44)so I don't require the high cals younger ppl need.maintenance for me is around 2800 cals ED.When bulking I can't go above 3500 cals,it will become fat then.Since I don't require high cals,I find it easier to eat solid foods during the course of the day,excluding PWO of course.With solid foods,at least I'm not hungry all the time as opposed to slugging down shakes that leave you hungry 1/2 hr later.
    Years ago,I did make nice gains using many shakes during the day.And I never bought into this 1.5-2 grams per pound of body weight.I've gained well of 1g,and noticed when I went to 1.5 grams,bf started to show up.I also don't require alot of carbs either.But my age plays in big role in the statements I made above.when I was in my early 20's,I could eat anything I wanted all day long,and not put on an ounce of fat.
    So I get a kick out of reading posts that tell ppl you must take in 5k in cals Ed.These guys don't now a persons age or how fast or slow thier metabolism is.I'm sure advice like that has turned many bros on these boards into fat pigs on cycle,just because they had it drilled in thier head you HAVE to take in X amount of cals Ed or you won't grow...BS I say!!!
    Excellent points....I especially agree with the part about the people making recommendations of X calories per day, w/o knowing anything about the person they're advising A couple points about solid meals though; shakes/MRPs do leave you hungry shortly after eating/drinking them. This is a big deal, because not only does your body turn to catabolism in response to a shortage of macros, it also resorts to catabolism in response to "hunger". there are actually stretch receptors in your stomach that sense "fullness"...this is how gastric bypasses work....a smaller stomach means less food can induce these stretch receptors to signal and result in a sensation of satiation. So, solid foods are beneficial for that reason. The older arguments are that MRPs and shakes don't contain all the various micronutrients that solid foods do, but modern MRPs are extremely good at providing us with most everything we need.....we also take in multivitamins to cover this too.

    Even when macro breakdown and calories are the same, I still grow better off of mostly solid foods, for what that's worth, but MRPs and shakes are much more valuable than they used to be. Definitely a casein shake before bed and whey pwo...no questions there.

  16. #16
    flabbywussy's Avatar
    flabbywussy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,381
    great responses from da bull, and einstein! thanks guys.very thought out


    about my statement ,don't get me wrong i eat solid foods with some of my shake,but it is very little. just enough so i don't feel hungry 1/2 hour after my shake(like da bull stated) i try to eat most of my carbs when i wake up,and pre/post workout.

  17. #17
    Quake is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    At the gym
    Posts
    623

    Arrow Pay more attention for a fuller understanding

    Quote Originally Posted by flabbywussy
    Anything wrong with this cycle?

    "you claim to be a bio-chemist."


    sorry if you are gullible,and do not understand sarcasm wtf????

    I already referred to your sarcasm in aforementioned thread. You really should take more note of what you read.....

    And as for your post before this, your quote from bodybuilding.com clearly states that protein shakes are good for directly after workout. It doesn't state that they are good as a complete alternative to food or should be thought of in such a way. You really should take more note of what you read....

    So are you now saying that you are not a bio-chemist?

  18. #18
    flabbywussy's Avatar
    flabbywussy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouncer272001
    I already referred to your sarcasm in aforementioned thread. You really should take more note of what you read.....

    And as for your post before this, your quote from bodybuilding.com clearly states that protein shakes are good for directly after workout. It doesn't state that they are good as a complete alternative to food or should be thought of in such a way. You really should take more note of what you read....

    So are you now saying that you are not a bio-chemist?
    do you have a mild case of brain damage or something (man, i swear people never get it!) no i am not a bio chemist....duh!
    and what the h@ll are you talking about...i think you need to take note of what YOU read! duhHHH!!!! all i was saying was that there is no reason for people to replace there shakes with solid food in other words why not take both.

    o.k. do..... you ........understand......now??? ..........smarty!

  19. #19
    flabbywussy's Avatar
    flabbywussy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,381
    By The Way I Spaced Out The Last Words For Ya,so You Could Understand

    THIS IS MY LAST RESPONSE FOR THIS THREAD,SO IF YOU WANT TO ARGUE,I SUGGEST YOU GO ELSEWHERE.
    Last edited by flabbywussy; 06-26-2004 at 06:23 AM.

  20. #20
    redwizza is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    303
    you are an idiot FATSO. i didnt flame or try to flame you at all. if i wanted to do that i would make it very clear from my first sentence that i thought you are an idiot, and even if protein shakes dont have carb in them, DUMBASS, you can still gain alot of fat from something that is digestable so fast like WHEY protein....again.....DUMB ASS.

  21. #21
    KINGKONG's Avatar
    KINGKONG is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Outside the Walls
    Posts
    3,197
    Iam 24 I basically can eat all I want, I drink mostly shakes though because I don't have enough time to stop and eat all day...If I could,and I will once I get settled I would drink whey isolate before each meal than have the whey working right away
    then have the regular food(usually tuna plain or double chicken breast sandwich)digesting slowly for the next 2-3 hours till I get some whey in me...I think that would
    keep a constant flow of protein digesting....You can make good gains on a shake only
    diet, Ive done it..But 6 full meals a day plus shakes and you would be right......At least 2-3 real meals...
    Good LUck
    KP

  22. #22
    Anhydro78's Avatar
    Anhydro78 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,439
    Great info here guys , Food isnt anabolic !!!!! And its always better to consume a limited amount of calories to make sure you dont get fat on a cycle. Hmmm i wonder if the pros take that aproach?????? Try to stay lean and grow at the same time, excellent idea, even better encourage this guy to drink protein shakes instead of eating solid food !!!!!!!!!! A 3,500 calorie diet is what I would use during a cutting phase. People that try to keep their apperance and grow at the same time stay the same size,less the pumps created by steroids !!!!!!!!!

  23. #23
    Anhydro78's Avatar
    Anhydro78 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,439
    It dont matter if you have a fast or slow metabolism 3,500 calories isnt sh!t!!!!!!!! I eat proabllay 4, 500- 5,000 calories a day and i have a slow metabolism. I gained 34lbs on my last cycle, about 6-8 pounds fat and then minus estimated water weight 10lbs I gained at least a good 15lbs of lean muscle. I dont try to do both cut and bulk at the same time.

    heres a good example of someone eating 3,500 calories a day!!!!

    http://67.18.108.244/showthread.php?t=106818

  24. #24
    rhapsody's Avatar
    rhapsody is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    138
    lot of good responses but the bottom line is both solid food & shakes are needed. Solid foods are superior . Why?? Solid foods takes time to digest which translate into higher metabolic rate. Its taking calories just to break down the food. Shakes on the other hand go through much more rapidly therefore, less calories . Also, your pancreas produces very high amounts of enzymes for digestive & other purposes. If you do not have enough food/water where do the enzymes go? Your blood stream then to other organs...Shakes are great & have there usefull purpose But they are readily absorb after a workout & if you only have Whey it is being oxidized for fuel not completly for muscell building. So its good to have a shake with casien or slower acting protiens
    Last edited by rhapsody; 06-26-2004 at 12:07 PM. Reason: spelling

  25. #25
    the dent depot's Avatar
    the dent depot is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    1,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Anhydro78
    It dont matter if you have a fast or slow metabolism 3,500 calories isnt sh!t!!!!!!!! I eat proabllay 4, 500- 5,000 calories a day and i have a slow metabolism. I gained 34lbs on my last cycle, about 6-8 pounds fat and then minus estimated water weight 10lbs I gained at least a good 15lbs of lean muscle. I dont try to do both cut and bulk at the same time.

    heres a good example of someone eating 3,500 calories a day!!!!

    http://67.18.108.244/showthread.php?t=106818

    Wrong wrong wrong.....Da Bull is spot on...the older I get the less cals I need to grow. I eat about 3500 +/- and have no probs growing at all. I'll be 30 next month. I used to eat closer to 5k when I was in my low 20's though.

    D

  26. #26
    Anhydro78's Avatar
    Anhydro78 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,439
    So I guess eat bif to get big just got thrown out the window here. I was under the impress that excessive food can have an anabolic effect even if your not on steroids . I by no means thing anyone should eat so much that they let themselves go. But when in a bulking phase we shouldnt be worrying about Body fat increases too much.

    Im 272lb If I ate 3,500 calories Id be on a cutting diet. Even with eating 4,000-5,000 calories I feel I could get more out of my cycle if I could make myself eat more.

    I dont think we are talking about a old fat guy here either. Do you guys remember his avatar he had a while back . He looked young tall slinder. I cant see advising a guy like that to drink protein shakes instead eating real food

  27. #27
    the dent depot's Avatar
    the dent depot is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    1,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Anhydro78
    So I guess eat bif to get big just got thrown out the window here. I was under the impress that excessive food can have an anabolic effect even if your not on steroids . I by no means thing anyone should eat so much that they let themselves go. But when in a bulking phase we shouldnt be worrying about Body fat increases too much.

    Im 272lb If I ate 3,500 calories Id be on a cutting diet. Even with eating 4,000-5,000 calories I feel I could get more out of my cycle if I could make myself eat more.

    I dont think we are talking about a old fat guy here either. Do you guys remember his avatar he had a while back . He looked young tall slinder. I cant see advising a guy like that to drink protein shakes instead eating real food
    No, Im sorry I didnt mention this, but my 3500 cals are from food entirely......I also have 2 shakes a day, but in addition to the 3.5k.

    You are 100% right there is no substitution for food!

    D

  28. #28
    Da Bull's Avatar
    Da Bull is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    X
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Anhydro78
    So I guess eat bif to get big just got thrown out the window here. I was under the impress that excessive food can have an anabolic effect even if your not on steroids . I by no means thing anyone should eat so much that they let themselves go. But when in a bulking phase we shouldnt be worrying about Body fat increases too much.

    Im 272lb If I ate 3,500 calories Id be on a cutting diet. Even with eating 4,000-5,000 calories I feel I could get more out of my cycle if I could make myself eat more.

    I dont think we are talking about a old fat guy here either. Do you guys remember his avatar he had a while back . He looked young tall slinder. I cant see advising a guy like that to drink protein shakes instead eating real food
    No one is saying not to eat to grow...some of us are talking about factoring in age virsus cal requirements.I eat solid food all day,but my cal intake is less than a person in thier early 20's.
    you're 26 yrs old,I think you'll change your thought and diet pattern once you get older.Unless you want ppl to call you Santa Claus.

  29. #29
    LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Different strokes for different folks. I grow better of shakes than off real food. I do eat a couple soild meals a day tho. And i always pull in 4000 to 4500 cals a day.

  30. #30
    bjayg's Avatar
    bjayg is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    meatmarket
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by LORDBLiTZ
    I've made good gains on mostly shakes with only a couple solid meals a day. I hate eating so shakes really do help out. If you're going to be taking in mostly shakes, make sure you have a couple large solid meals a day tho.
    they will only get you so far, but to take it to the next level your body will need solid foods.......

  31. #31
    LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bjayg
    they will only get you so far, but to take it to the next level your body will need solid foods.......

    I don't agree with that. I've tried both ways and have found what works best for me. Solid food with proper supplementation can take you much further than just a normal old school diet. Case in point, look how much bigger the pro's are today compared to the 60's and 70's.

  32. #32
    craneboy's Avatar
    craneboy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    nor*cal
    Posts
    1,540
    i dont have a problem with food intake its the water. i dont like water but luckily i can drink the sh!t out of unsweetened ice tea

  33. #33
    bjayg's Avatar
    bjayg is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    meatmarket
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by LORDBLiTZ
    I don't agree with that. I've tried both ways and have found what works best for me. Solid food with proper supplementation can take you much further than just a normal old school diet. Case in point, look how much bigger the pro's are today compared to the 60's and 70's.
    so their bigger these days because of shakes? i would say its because the know a lot more now of how to use aas, hgh and other potent bodies. case and point an old pic of me when I drank a lot of shakes and little meals and me now with a whole lot more solid foods and clean eating. I guess we can agree to disagree on this one, because what works good for me might not for you.
    Last edited by bjayg; 06-26-2004 at 08:52 PM.

  34. #34
    LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bjayg
    so their bigger these days because of shakes? i would say its because the know a lot more now of how to use aas, hgh and other potent bodies. case and point an old pic of me when I drank a lot of shakes and little meals and me now with a whole lot more solid foods and clean eating. I guess we can agree to disagree on this one, because what works good for me might not for you.

    They're bigger these days because our technology is way more advanced. And yes, they are more educated on drug use and diet. But don't tell me that none of these guys use supplements. I'd put money that 99% of the guys and girls on this board use supps. The only reason we're here talking about this is, because a supplement company hosts this board. I'm glad you've found what works for you. Because i know what works for me. Like i said before, different strokes for different folks.

  35. #35
    UrbanDawg's Avatar
    UrbanDawg is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    cozy little Ghetto in PA
    Posts
    912
    im old too (46) and I am eating less than 2500 cals per day now and still gaining muscle. Your meabolism rate is the decidjing factor. the older you get the less food you need, and packing on muscle actually gets easier. The problem is that you also pack on fat a faster.

    Also concur with DB that older guys just dont need 2x grams of protien. Im doing real well on 1X and some days even less.

    Like many older people I know who lift. the less we eat - the better we feel.


    Quote Originally Posted by Da Bull
    I agree to some extent with your agrument.I'm older(44)so I don't require the high cals younger ppl need.maintenance for me is around 2800 cals ED.When bulking I can't go above 3500 cals,it will become fat then.Since I don't require high cals,I find it easier to eat solid foods during the course of the day,excluding PWO of course.With solid foods,at least I'm not hungry all the time as opposed to slugging down shakes that leave you hungry 1/2 hr later.
    Years ago,I did make nice gains using many shakes during the day.And I never bought into this 1.5-2 grams per pound of body weight.I've gained well of 1g,and noticed when I went to 1.5 grams,bf started to show up.I also don't require alot of carbs either.But my age plays in big role in the statements I made above.when I was in my early 20's,I could eat anything I wanted all day long,and not put on an ounce of fat.
    So I get a kick out of reading posts that tell ppl you must take in 5k in cals Ed.These guys don't now a persons age or how fast or slow thier metabolism is.I'm sure advice like that has turned many bros on these boards into fat pigs on cycle,just because they had it drilled in thier head you HAVE to take in X amount of cals Ed or you won't grow...BS I say!!!

  36. #36
    Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,917
    Quote Originally Posted by redwizza
    you are an idiot FATSO. i didnt flame or try to flame you at all. if i wanted to do that i would make it very clear from my first sentence that i thought you are an idiot, and even if protein shakes dont have carb in them, DUMBASS, you can still gain alot of fat from something that is digestable so fast like WHEY protein....again.....DUMB ASS.
    Flames are NOT acceptable at AR...
    You need to grow up...

  37. #37
    flabbywussy's Avatar
    flabbywussy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown_SC
    Flames are NOT acceptable at AR...
    You need to grow up...
    thanks bro for getting my back!

  38. #38
    bjayg's Avatar
    bjayg is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    meatmarket
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by LORDBLiTZ
    They're bigger these days because our technology is way more advanced. And yes, they are more educated on drug use and diet. But don't tell me that none of these guys use supplements. I'd put money that 99% of the guys and girls on this board use supps. The only reason we're here talking about this is, because a supplement company hosts this board. I'm glad you've found what works for you. Because i know what works for me. Like i said before, different strokes for different folks.
    I would put money that 100% of the people on this board use supps, but I was saying not more shakes then food

  39. #39
    rhapsody's Avatar
    rhapsody is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    138
    i totally concur with Urban Dawg, as you age metabolically speaking we slow down, basic physiology 101. But the down side is we accummulate adipose tissue at a higher %. Hormones ratio's test/estros. Sure I can eat 4000 kcal but do I wish to look the the pillsbury doe boy?? At 25 eat your self away. Everyones different in some aspects,thats why theres 5 billion souls on this planet not one with the same DNA makeup

  40. #40
    Quake is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    At the gym
    Posts
    623

    !!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by flabbywussy
    thanks bro for getting my back!
    !!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •