tallyjuice is offline Member

Question gains while on a caloric deficit(and MMA)

I have been training MMA while on a calorie restricted diet(2000 cal.) for the past month and a half. I have lost 10 pounds of fat and muscle(probably at a 4:1 fat to muscle ratio) and I love training MMA. The problem is that I am so tired from grappling 5 days a week that I have not been lifting as hard as I should be. Is it possible to make gains while on a caloric deficit, without juice? If not, how can I maintain my muscle while cutting and not being on juice? PLEASE HELP ME

Latimus is offline Banned
    well a caloric surplus=muscle mass...a caloric deficite=fat loss

if you do cardio in the morning on an empty stomack you will lose fat..then eat clean carbs and lots of protein throughout the day...and cut carbs after your Post workout meal...and you should be fine...it will just take longer...but you will continue to gain muscle....but 2000 cals wont put on any muscle bro

rhapsody is offline Junior Member
    Very good question. Your gains will be limited but over time( yrs) I believe you can. The key is the proper ratio's of carbs,fats,protien. Certainly you can maintain your muscell but progress will be a snails pace. I suggest a split routine. Am on a empty stomach (h2o only) perform ONLY cardio. Make sure your breakfast is high in complex/low glycemic index foods. Long acting proteins to get you through the day. lunch again carbs as you need them for the evening weight training . Of course low carb no fat protein shakes during the day. Work hard brief sessions in & out lift low reps high poundages. You should have a sweat. 45 min your done. 2 body parts hard. hit the sack with ZMA & casien protein with water or skim milk ( the calcuim may inhibit absorbtion of the ZMA. Others may disagree about the calories, but your not going to add fat & with a lower % your muscells will be noticable, good luck

With all the grappling I do, will I overtrain if I do a Doggcrap style of training (Mon,Wed,Fri)? Also. I think I do enough cardio condidering that I grapple about 2 hours/day.

KAEW44 is offline Senior Member
    I feel you bro, i have been trainng and competing MMA for a while and its very hard to gain muscle and be in great cardio-shape for fighting at the same time, one way i am experimenting with is to do 2 sessions a day...one weight training and one grappling/striking...i personally do my weightlifting in the early morning, then later in the evening (6pm) i do my fighting training, the reason is because my fighting team can only train in the evening thats why its my only option. This way i can get more than 8hours of rest and nutrition in between weights and fighting training.
    If my team was more flexible with times i would prefer fight-training in the morning and weights later in the evening..but i dont have that option now.

MMA requires the most intense cardio and endurance compared to the majority of sports!! Being in great shape and gaining solid mass fast dont go together! It will take time and patience.

thanx. That is very good advice

rhapsody is offline Junior Member
    yea, drop the cardio your right...

KAEW44 is offline Senior Member
    There is a specific forum for figthing sports now man!! They have responded to our prayers!!

Thread Information