Lozgod is offline Anabolic Member

Nolvadex and HDL?

I could be wrong but I thought that I read someone posted that Nolvadex raises HDL levels. I've been researching on the net and can only find that it lowers LDL but nothing on raising HDL. Any insight on this?

Indian J Med Sci. 2001 Jul;55(7):359-65. Related Articles, Links

A study of the effect of tamoxifen on serum lipoprotein profiles in premenopausal and postmenopausal women with breast carcinoma and associated risk of cardiovascular disease.

Sharma D, Sharma U, Bhatnagar VB, Singh VS.

Dept of Obst. & Gynaec., LLRM Medical College, Meerut, UP.

To examine the effect of tamoxifen on serum lipoprotein profiles of premenopausal and postmenopausal patients of breast carcinoma (without and with cardiovascular disease) we performed a short term evaluation of serum lipoprotein profiles of 38 pre and 42 post menopausal subjects of breast carcinoma (without and with cardiovascular disease) at baseline and after 3 and 6 months of tamoxifen therapy. The serum lipoprotein profiles of premenopausal patients of breast carcinoma, both without and with cardiovascular disease, showed no significant variation, after 3 and 6 months of tamoxifen treatment than the corresponding baseline values of premenopausal subjects. However, in postmenopausal subjects of breast carcinoma (both without and with cardiovascular disease), serum TC, Apo-B, and Lp (a) were significantly decreased and serum TG, HDL and Apo A1 were significantly elevated, after 3 and 6 months of tamoxifen treatment, than the corresponding baseline values of postmenopausal subjects. Also, the comparison of the results of the present study for pre and postmenopausal patients of breast cancer revealed that the administration of tamoxifen, as an adjuvant therapy for breast cancer, is estrogenic and beneficial for postmenopausal patients of breast carcinoma (both without and with the risk of cardiovascular disease) as the drug minimises the risk of cardivascular disease by bringing significant improvement in serum lipoprotein profiles of the patients. But the drug fails to bring any significant beneficial effect on serum lipoproteins of hyperiipoproteinemic patients of breast cancer.

Clin Biochem. 2000 Aug;33(6):513-6. Related Articles, Links

Comment in:
    Clin Biochem. 2001 Mar;34(2):161.

Increased plasma HDL-cholesterol and apo A-I in breast cancer patients undergoing adjuvant tamoxifen therapy.

Mastroianni A, Bellati C, Facchetti G, Oldani S, Franzini C, Berrino F.

Unita' Operativa Medicina di Laboratorio 1 Istituto Nazionale per lo Studio e la Cura dei Tumori, Milano, Italy.

PMID: 11074246 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE

Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2000 Jul;79(7):604-7. Related Articles, Links

The effect of tamoxifen on the endometrium, serum lipids and hypothalamus pituitary axis in the postmenopausal breast cancer patients.

Kavak ZN, Binoz S, Ceyhan N, Pekin S.

Marmara University School of Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Istanbul, Turkey.

BACKGROUND: There is still no cost-effective endometrial screening method for asymptomatic postmenopausal breast cancer patients using tamoxifen. We investigated the effectivity of transvaginal ultrasonography and endometrial sampling as a screening method for asymptomatic patients. Additionally the effect of tamoxifen on hypothalamus-pituitary axis and serum lipid profiles were investigated. METHODS: Sixty-seven gynecologically asymptomatic postmenopausal breast cancer patients were enrolled in this randomized crossover study. Endometrial thickness was determined by transvaginal ultrasonography, endometrial biopsy was obtained by Pipelle or fractional curettage, hormone and lipid profiles were compared in the two groups which consisted of forty-seven tamoxifen user (cases) and twenty nonuser (controls) patients. RESULTS: The mean endometrial thickness measured by transvaginal sonography was 7.8 mm (3-20 mm) versus 3.7 mm respectively. The difference was significant in tamoxifen users. The most common histopathologic finding was endometrial polyp, detected in five patients. In the control group there was no endometrial polyp. The positive histopathologic findings were present in twenty-two patients in the case group but there were only two patients with positive histopathologic findings in the control group. Ultrasound findings did not correlate with the presence of endometrial abnormalities on biopsy and no endometrial cancer or hyperplasia were detected. In tamoxifen users serum FSH and LH levels were significantly lower than in nonusers. Serum HDL levels were significantly higher in the case group. CONCLUSION: Ultrasonographic imaging of the endometrium in asymptomatic postmenopausal breast cancer patients using tamoxifen should be interpreted with caution. Other imaging techniques should be used for more specific information about the endometrium.

and several more

Quote Originally Posted by einstein1905
    and serum TG, HDL and Apo A1 were significantly elevated, after 3 and 6 months of tamoxifen treatment,
    I knew you were gonna come through.

So there is a bad/good lipid effect.
    Elevated Tryglycerides and elevated HDL.

Quote Originally Posted by Lozgod
    I knew you were gonna come through.

So there is a bad/good lipid effect.
    Elevated Tryglycerides and elevated HDL.
    Yes, elevated triglycerides is a trend too, but we're also eating clean and doing plenty of cardio too, so it's not AS big of a factor for us as it is for sedentary people (these are breast cancer patients in most cases)

Quote Originally Posted by einstein1905
    Yes, elevated triglycerides is a trend too, but we're also eating clean and doing plenty of cardio too, so it's not AS big of a factor for us as it is for sedentary people (these are breast cancer patients in most cases)
    Yeah good point. Contrary to popular belief TG levels are more elevated by dietary sugar than dietary fat. I can speak for me, dietary sugar is a no-no in my diet. My last screening of TG's was 104, but my HDL was low. It was 39. I am about to do a HDL cycle.

Garlic
    Niacin
    Oat Bran
    Beta-Carotene
    Mono-Unsaturated Fat
    EFA Complex

Along with my anti-E treatment of Nolvadex .

Thread Information