Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BUYLONGTERM is offline Anabolic Member

Injecting/infections..Don't think it can happen to you? Newbies read..

Well, I cannot stress enough how important safety is when injecting. I've done hundreds of injections. Never did I think for a minute I could get an infection. Well I was wrong. I ran out of Alcohol wipes so I decide to just do an injection thinking everything was good. I did a SL Pprop/Enan injection on Thursday. Well 2 days later, my thigh was twice the size. I not only couldn't walk, but the infection spread throughout my entire thigh! I had to see my girlfriends father (he's a dr.)

So the moral of the story is simple.

1. Wash your hands throughly
    2. Always inject in a clean environment
    3. Clean the top of your vials with alcohol
    4. Always, always clean the injection area.
    5. after injecting, clean the area once again.

Never get lazy!!!!

BLT
    Last edited by buylongterm; 07-06-2004 at 10:40 AM.

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    Did you take a picture of the leg? I want to see the mutant leg!

j/k bro, I'm glad to hear that you are ok. I really need to start being more carefull about sterility. Thanks for ther great post.

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by buylongterm
    Well, I cannot stress enough how important it safety is when injecting. I've done hundreds of injections. Never did I think for a minute I could get an infection. Well I was wrong. I ran out of Alcohol wipes so I decide to just do an injection thinking everything was good. I did a SL Pprop/Enan injection on Thursday. Well 2 days later, my thigh was twice the size. I not only couldn't walk, but the infection spread throughout my entire thigh! I had to see my girlfriends father (he's a dr.)

So the moral of the story is simple.

1. Wash your hands throughly
    2. Always inject in a clean environment
    3. Clean the top of your vials with alcohol
    4. Always, always clean the injection area.
    5. after injecting, clean the area once again.

Never get lazy!!!!

BLT
    Sorry to hear that BLT.......... I allways follow those steps you layed out and knock on wood I have yet to have a problem.

I hope the leg gets better bro

Mr. Sparkle is offline Slinabolic Vet / Retired
    If you were a real man you would have cleaned it out with BA and a 18g needle.......
    Well that is good info. my friends dont use alcohol at all, and they make fun of me for it. so this furthers my point to be clean as possible. thanks BLT
    BTW hows the leg doing now?

SV-1 is offline Respected Member
    Sorry to hear that bro. Get better soon.

kronik is offline Senior Member
    Sorry to about it bro, everthing is cool now I suppose...

Quote Originally Posted by inheritmylife
    Did you take a picture of the leg? I want to see the mutant leg!

j/k bro, I'm glad to hear that you are ok. I really need to start being more carefull about sterility. Thanks for ther great post.
    Thanks bro. I actually thought about taking a pic, but never got around to it. It still hurts like a SOB!!!!!! Good news is I did NOT come down with a fever. (at least not yet)

MachZ is offline Member
    Best of luck BLT, hope you get better soon.

Tryin2getHUGE is offline Senior Member
    Sorry about the leg bro, just keep it clean and keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sparkle
    If you were a real man you would have cleaned it out with BA and a 18g needle.......
    Well that is good info. my friends dont use alcohol at all, and they make fun of me for it. so this furthers my point to be clean as possible. thanks BLT
    BTW hows the leg doing now?
    It's doing better, though It's still swollen and it's hard to walk. But thank god it's better than 2 days ago.

BUMP!

Now, I'm kinda worried. I'm sitting at work and I can feel heat from my quad coming through my pants! I pulled them down and my entire thigh is still extremely red. I DO NOT want to see the Dr, but I'm afraid If I let it go, it will get worse. I do Not have a lump (so I don't think I have an abcess) but even around my knee it's swollen pretty bad.

Was the needle dirty bro, or did something get onto the top of the gear bottle? It sounds like an infection that is a result of a contaminated injection. IMO

big swoll is offline Member
    have you done anything to try to cure it, like taking some sort of antibiotic....or are you just going to wait it out??

DaveUK is offline Junior Member
    Thank god I always use the alcohol wipes, thanks to this board mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryin2getHUGE
    Was the needle dirty bro, or did something get onto the top of the gear bottle? It sounds like an infection that is a result of a contaminated injection. IMO
    Nope, brand new needle. I don't know what happened. I guess what I'd like to know is when I should decide to go to the Dr. or ER and when it's to late! I again have no fever but though the pain is gone, my leg feels numb when I walk and it's severly red. My girlfriends father (who is from Sweden) says It should go away on it's own (swedish philosophy) but it doesn't seem to be

Captainutrition is offline Associate Member
    BUMP!

Now, I'm kinda worried. I'm sitting at work and I can feel heat from my quad coming through my pants! I pulled them down and my entire thigh is still extremely red. I DO NOT want to see the Dr, but I'm afraid If I let it go, it will get worse. I do Not have a lump (so I don't think I have an abcess) but even around my knee it's swollen pretty bad.

Now would be a great time to try and get a picture for future questions.

SV-1 is offline Respected Member
    BUMP!

If it gets worse go see a doc. Just tell them it's from a B-12 shot.

Quote Originally Posted by big swoll
    have you done anything to try to cure it, like taking some sort of antibiotic....or are you just going to wait it out??
    Well, I can't get antibiotics unless I go see my dr, however I just called and he is out of town. So, It looks like I have to head to the ER. I was told to just wait it out. But that worries me.

Quote Originally Posted by SV-1
    If it gets worse go see a doc. Just tell them it's from a B-12 shot.
    If I go to ER, I will tell them I'm on HRT and my dr is out of town (which he really is)

BLT

Take an otc antibiotic and try to wait....IF YOU CAN. BUT, if it gets worse or does NOT get better, definately goto the doc, or er, or something bro. That thing might fall off (j/k)

big swoll is offline Member
    Well, I can't get antibiotics unless I go see my dr, however I just called and he is out of town. So, It looks like I have to head to the ER. I was told to just wait it out. But that worries me.

yea, i thought you might just have some antibiotics lying around the house....i've got alot of em, but i dont know if they will cure all infections or what....well if you've got to go to the ER....good luck....i'd rather go get some medicine for it than just waiting it out and see how it turns out, thats just me though.....good luck

the dent depot is offline Senior Member

Thumbs up

Good post, and I hope everything works out for you bro..........

But I have to bring this up. Wiping the injection area and the bottle with alcohol doesnt sterilize a thing. Thats a myth. I never use alcohol, but I usually shoot right out of the shower. Keeping everything clean from dirt is a good idea, but youre not killing germs to any substantial degree. Actually, antibacterial soap and warm water is more effective.

By no means am I saying to not do the things you listed....they are good habits, but they are by no means going to prevent all chances of infection.

I dont mean this post to sound negative, just informative.

D

Quote Originally Posted by the dent depot

But I have to bring this up. Wiping the injection area and the bottle with alcohol doesnt sterilize a thing. Thats a myth. I never use alcohol, but I usually shoot right out of the shower. Keeping everything clean from dirt is a good idea, but youre not killing germs to any substantial degree. Actually, antibacterial soap and warm water is more effective.

By no means am I saying to not do the things you listed....they are good habits, but they are by no means going to prevent all chances of infection.

D
    Not at all bro. I always have respected your posts! I guess what I'm saying is it never hurts to be safe. I always try to use an anitbacterial soap.

Mr. Sparkle is offline Slinabolic Vet / Retired
    well I inject after a shower and still use alcohol whipes...... I just want to be clean

BulletCatcher is offline New Member
    I am going through the same thing right now. Taking Ampicillan cause I have this huge red hot lump (like a half baseball) on my hip. Even though I did all the things listed above, I still got an infection. It hurts to walk, sit, lay down......but who cares??? I am off to the gym!!!

Quote Originally Posted by the dent depot

D
    So you are saying to use soap and water instead of alcohol? Or that its just as sterile?

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    BLT - I know it is not the smartest thing but I ordered some cipro from www.net-dr.com (all legal). It is expensive but nice to keep on the side just in case and I don't have to go see my doc.

I actually live close to a gov't biological and chemical warefare installation (where they sent all the terrorist anthrax to get incinerated and actually they make it there to) so it is really justified to have it on hand.

Anyway good luck, let us know what you take for it and how long it takes to go away. I am always worried I will inject a small piece of rubber from the top of the vial into my muscle.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    I use both in Shoot in the bath tub Or shower. then I swipe with alcohol pad

Swellin Guest
    Augmentin is usually prescribed for animal bites...which is very similar to what would have with a dirty shot. I would imagine that augmentin and cipro would be top choices to keep on hand. I know I've got some of both.

I had a shot go bad a few months ago, and it was pretty freaky. It looked like I had a softball stuck under my tricep. You could feel the heat from it through my shirt. It looked ghastly. When it finally subsided, I realized I had mangled a vein, because I had a bruise larger than a men's softball on my tricep. I got plenty of antibiotics, but the day before I started them (around day 5), I noticed it was going down some and not hurting as bad. It cleared in two more days.

That is no fun. Sorry to hear you got a bad one BLT, but I imagine it happens to every single one of us who do enough injections.

arby is offline Associate Member
    Cipro (generic name: ciprofloxacin hydrochloride) has been linked to side effects including ruptured tendons and neurological damage resulting from seizures. Cirpro is a powerful antibiotic used to treat bacterial infections.

Adverse effects associated with the use of Cipro can cause debilitating, life long injuries and they may occur following just one or a few doses. Cipro belongs to a class of powerful antibiotics known as fluoroquinolone which have been linked to serious side effects including ruptured tendons and neurological damage resulting from seizures.

The link between Cipro and tendon problems was documented in an article published by the University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City. The researchers studied two cases of Cipro-related tendon rupture, concluding that ample evidence exists "suggesting a causal relationship between fluoroquinolones and tendon rupture," and that "typically, spontaneous tendon rupture occurs during or shortly after a course of therapy, but symptoms may occur months after taking fluoroquinolones."

The incidences of tendon rupture is more common in the elderly and individuals on steroid therapy, however younger users are at risk too.

In 2001, the Epilepsy Foundation warned today that fluoroquinolone antibiotics such as Cipro (ciprofloxacin), can induce seizures in people with epilepsy and other individuals who might be at risk for seizures due to family history or previous central nervous system insults such as head trauma, stroke, tumor, or infection.

It is believed that Cipro causes seizures by interfering with neuronal inhibitory activity by blockade of binding of GABA, a major inhibitory neurotransmitter with the GABA-A receptor.

RB

max-it is offline Member
    Sorry to hear about your problem, I wish you a speedy recovery. Thanks for the info, I will put all of it to practice.

hatchblack is offline Associate Member
    sorry to hear man. Are there any other recommendations out there regarding cleaning the area before injecting. I was always under the mis guided impression about alcohol swabs but that appears to be not all true. Is there another swab like iodine or something that works for cleaning the area completely up...?

the dent depot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchblack
    sorry to hear man. Are there any other recommendations out there regarding cleaning the area before injecting. I was always under the mis guided impression about alcohol swabs but that appears to be not all true. Is there another swab like iodine or something that works for cleaning the area completely up...?
    Nothing beats a nice hot shower and a good soap....and iodine would stain your skin like a mofo. Just do your shots right after you shower....and always use a clean towel.

D

hatchblack is offline Associate Member
    Good advice. I could give a **** less about staining my skin but I will shower up anyway.

TapUouT is offline New Member
    thx for your post BLT, I've gotten to relaxed with my injections. It's unfortunate that this happened to you, but posting about it and reminding us of the potential harm we are xposed to with every shot might save a few of us from suffering the same expirence. Good on ya...

mstearns76 is offline Junior Member
    Sorry to hear about that bro. I would get a Dr. to check it out. If you let it go to long, the only option to remove the infection would be to cut it out. That would mean a hugh chunk of your leg muscle gone.... I have seen this happen before. A guy that was on the track team with me in college had a shot go bad in his glute, and it absessed and next thing you know there was a huge hole in a$$. Get it checked out.

jasonbbflex is offline Junior Member
    Yikes, sorry to read this saga. Have you now seen a dr for a re-check?

Quote Originally Posted by scottp999
    BLT - I know it is not the smartest thing but I ordered some cipro from www.net-dr.com (all legal). It is expensive but nice to keep on the side just in case and I don't have to go see my doc.

I actually live close to a gov't biological and chemical warefare installation (where they sent all the terrorist anthrax to get incinerated and actually they make it there to) so it is really justified to have it on hand.

Anyway good luck, let us know what you take for it and how long it takes to go away. I am always worried I will inject a small piece of rubber from the top of the vial into my muscle.
    Thanks bro, I will definitely remember that site!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jasonbbflex
    Yikes, sorry to read this saga. Have you now seen a dr for a re-check?
    Well, I sucked it up and did NOT go to the Dr. I gave it one more day and now its almost back to normal. (not recommended) It was scary. I couldn't walk. Not because of any major pain, but because my leg was extremely red and swollen.

I think the main reason alcohol pads are used is because it really helps cleanse the skin. Hell, if my dr. uses them, I'M using them. I think this post is just a reminder to be smart and safe.

Peace,

BLT

stitch1967 is offline Member
    Sorry to hear about your leg, bro. Thx for posting it to keep us wary.

How is it?

Are you going to the doc yet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information