brian s is offline New Member

Ironman training without losing all the muscle

Hello:

I have spent a decent amount of time just reading all your posts, and learning from you all. I have a question though. I was thinking about running an Ironman triathlon in March of this years. I have been lifting for about two years seriously, and I have put on some much 6' 185lbs, I can't gain weight really easily. I know the distance training is going to kill my muscle mass, but I want to try to keep as much as possible.

I am 100% natural, only took creatine once for like 3 weeks, and the **** was awsome, felt like I was on the sauce, would love to go to the dark side eventually. Anyways, I still plan on lifting 1.5 hours /day with my same program, and doing the distance training. What do you guys think would help, very high protein and carbs?? supplements?? special vitamins (hehe)??

Lemme know what you guys think, I currently eat clean, about 250grams of protein a day, mostly whole food, some protein shakes. I'm in college and am going to have to really get dedicated here, I will have alot of time on my hands though because I only have class for four hours, three days a week, so I am open to any ideas.

DocHoliday is offline Senior Member
    for one wrong forum

Also 1.5 hrs of training? Too long IMO. 45min to 1hr of heavy lifting. Add abs/cardio then maybe 1.5hrs.

You're doing IronMan...

sorry bro in order to be competitive in that sheet you have to loose size to become you're 'natural' balance of stamina/explosion. Each person is different, but that race requires a well balanced individual, not a body builder.

You want to look good? You want to be big? Or do you want to win this fawking Ironman?

Everything is about sacrifices and priorities. It's up to you.

Anyway, you need simple carbs (dextrose) for immediate consumption after a workout, and complex carbs for the intense training in your other meals. Protein you'll need at a consistent amount through the whole day.

My own personal pointer. Eat sunflower seeds (unshel'd) and salad. Nuts will give you essential fats and the lettuce will stiffen up your sheet because when you do a lot of running you also get the runs.

Doc

Mealticket is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHoliday
    for one wrong forum

Also 1.5 hrs of training? Too long IMO. 45min to 1hr of heavy lifting. Add abs/cardio then maybe 1.5hrs.

You're doing IronMan...

sorry bro in order to be competitive in that sheet you have to loose size to become you're 'natural' balance of stamina/explosion. Each person is different, but that race requires a well balanced individual, not a body builder.

You want to look good? You want to be big? Or do you want to win this fawking Ironman?

Everything is about sacrifices and priorities. It's up to you.

Anyway, you need simple carbs (dextrose) for immediate consumption after a workout, and complex carbs for the intense training in your other meals. Protein you'll need at a consistent amount through the whole day.

My own personal pointer. Eat sunflower seeds (unshel'd) and salad. Nuts will give you essential fats and the lettuce will stiffen up your sheet because when you do a lot of running you also get the runs.

Doc

dropping weight is by far no concern for doing an Ironman. He is in no way shape or form too big to do triathalons. Some of The best time trialist's in the world are up around the 200lb mark

Most of your world class tri guys are anywhere from 145-200. If you are looking for the most bang for your buck then hit up some EPO. You need to start it @ least 12 weeks out, and would be better to train w/ it @ least 6 months prior to competition. Anavar and test prop or suspenion would be great for you. You could cycle it and jump off of it 10-12 weeks out of competition, start your epo cycle and start shooting test suspension 7 days out from competition.

DocHoliday is offline Senior Member
    sorry, what I meant by lose size is "unnatural" size. You're body finds it's optimum.

145-200lbs like you say doesnt seem to me like a very big man. I agree, and that's all I meant.

ODC0717 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brian s
    Hello:

I have spent a decent amount of time just reading all your posts, and learning from you all. I have a question though. I was thinking about running an Ironman triathlon in March of this years. I have been lifting for about two years seriously, and I have put on some much 6' 185lbs, I can't gain weight really easily. I know the distance training is going to kill my muscle mass, but I want to try to keep as much as possible.

I am 100% natural, only took creatine once for like 3 weeks, and the **** was awsome, felt like I was on the sauce, would love to go to the dark side eventually. Anyways, I still plan on lifting 1.5 hours /day with my same program, and doing the distance training. What do you guys think would help, very high protein and carbs?? supplements?? special vitamins (hehe)??

Lemme know what you guys think, I currently eat clean, about 250grams of protein a day, mostly whole food, some protein shakes. I'm in college and am going to have to really get dedicated here, I will have alot of time on my hands though because I only have class for four hours, three days a week, so I am open to any ideas.
    Good luck on the Ironman bro! I did a sprint triathalon once and it **** near killed me. My uncle has done a few Ironmans, and this year he's trying tp qualify for the Ironman in Hawaii. I tip my hat to you sir. Ironman training is no f-in joke. Hope all goes well. Oh, for the diet, I go with the traditional 50/30/20 ratio carbs, protein, fat...peace

brian s is offline New Member
    Sorry if I put this in the wrong forum, I was looking for any suggestions to help me with some special vitamins.

Thanks for the encouraging words also, this training is gonna be nuts. I still plan on lifting to keep my strength up. Like I said i'm about 185 and 6' with very little body fat so, I hope not to loose to much muscle.

Also I lift for about 1 hours, then abs or cardio, speed back work, etc make up the other half hour. After an hour of lifting I am dead, I try to keep up my pace between sets, gets the heart pumping, and really improves my stamina for repping out heavier weights, when I try to max / lift really heavy for multiple reps.

I'll try posting my results as training goes on in another forum. Thanks for all your advice, look forward to talking with you guys soon.

Thread Information