solid90062 is offline Member

AS and life expectancy

I was wondering what effects AS will have in term of life expectancy (if used in moderation; and for sake of argument lets call moderation a few cycles--less than a year in total ON time). Are there studies?

Yes I know there are studies about what the effects can be and what organs are affected, but I am asking are there studies dealing with the specifics of length of life.

I read a study that smoking cigarettes can potentially shorten your life by 5-10mins per cigarette. (I came across this by accident, but I cant find the link again...Sorry guys) And it made me wonder if anyone can produce studies about AS use and life terms.

(I expect TNT to chime in on this one)
    Last edited by solid90062; 04-24-2002 at 02:24 AM.

NightOp is offline Member
    i'll bump this for ya. (however i think that is quite a big question... imean it will naturally depend on the person, specifics of cycle, etc...) but good question regardless.

solid90062 is offline Member
    i understand its a huge question in general, and obviously it varies from person to person, furthermore there are no guarantees even if studies say you will decrease life expectancy X amount of years.

However, I am curious about the studies, which I must expect there are and what those findings entail.

Surely someone has come across something they can produce.

DiMensionX is offline Member
    That means I will live 2.11 years less now. I have smoked a pack a day for 15 years. Honestly, those numbers you gave sounded high at first. Now after doing the math I think they are low. If I continue to smoke I KNOW it will take 20 years off my life.

Nicotine is the worst drug I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with. And unfortunatly there are many I haven't done in my younger days.

As an example, my mother died at 53 from a heart attack and lung cancer. She smoked a pack or two a day since she was 16. Her mother lived to be 93, smoked a pipe (go figure) and died of old age, no heart problems, no cancers.

God I gotta quit smoking.

Bump about effect on steroids on life, need to know how to adjust my figures . Maybe I can stop saving cause I'll die early .

DMX

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    DiMensionX - Yeah, do whatever you can to stop. Social Securtiy actually would be bankrupt at this point if it wasn't for smokers who voluntarily adjust their life expectancy down...They pay in all those years and get little or no benefit on average. I know there are many exceptions but in general that is what happens.
    Last edited by scottp999; 04-24-2002 at 12:29 PM.

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    Well, like everything in life, the answer is a resounding, "It Depends!" (How's that for taking a firm stand on soft ground!)

I am 40 years old and I just started using AS to jump-start getting into shape. I packed on some mass and look better, but there were some serious improvements in my general health. here's what has changed for me since January when I started:

1) I have lost 30+ lbs of fat
    2) Now that my muscles are stronger, my back/knee problems have lessened
    3) I exercise frequently now (both lifting & cardio) because I can (better knees/back and less fat) anc because I want to improve in other areas that lifting/AS can't influence.
    4) I quit smoking. (You can too DimX!)
    5) My eating habits / diet are vastly improved

Now all that is not caused by the steroids (my will & determination have something to do with all that), but using steroids got me over a hump that I might not have been able to w/o using steroids.

So for 'older guys' like me, AS might add to life expenctancy instead of decrease it.

As for younger folks, I can't say!

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Cool Boing!

Someone drew my attention to this thread. (I don't read every thread, primarily due to lack of time.) So here goes, in brief:

I agree fully with Ajax. Intelligent anabolic use (which is the only kind I advocate) can have very positive effects, especially on aging. It's natural to compare AS to cigarettes or the use of any other substance, but it's like an apples-and-oranges comparison from a medical perspective due, in part, to the body's natural need for androgen/estrogen (depending on your gender, although we all have a bit of bioth).

Medicine has begun to realize, just as women have experienced major benefits from estrogen supplementation post-menopause, men benefit from androgen supplementation post andropause. Thus, my take is that androgen supplementation can actually serve to extend life and improve its quality.

If there is any downside, it's the bulked-up GI Joe mentality that we usually see among younger guys. I'm not talking about those that will become competitive bodybuilders or weightlifters, but among everyday dudes who simply want to get bigger. As one of the Over-30 crowd, I'm always amused by this, because I know that the guys who want to gain big-time in their teens and 20's are going to want to lose big-time when they hit their late 30's and 40's (when it becomes more difficult to lose than to gain. The other downside is the mentality that we always have to stack AS - some people's cycles end up including everything but the kitchen sink (and some do seem to include the kitchen sink), when often a person will benefit from an understated cycle of one or two items.

You're right, solid90062 - there are studies that support AS use, but they are too numerous to cite here. The place to find them would be in a medical database - an NIH (National Institutes of Health) or similar database like MedLine would be a good place to start finding these. There will be just as many studies, however, on the negative effects of AS, so it's important to differentiate on the basic of AS use in a particular study - namely, is the type of use studied mdedical/therapeutic or recreational (by which, in this case, I mean unsupervised use by young people for bulking purposes)?

Remember that a scientific study or a clinical study requires tight monitoring. For better or worse, most young people that use AS do not engage in this kind of monitoring - lab tests before, during, and after a cycle, for example. Older guys (meaning past mid-20's) will tend to support their AS use with clinical back-up such as lab work - in part because they are on their own insurance rather than their parents' insurance, and also because they have begun to consider how to integrate their AS use with their total health picture.

In short, AS use is like driving (or like learning how to drive). You can simply get in the car and go, hopefully learning sound technique and adapting safety principles as you go, or you can study it systematically from day one. (Obviously, I recommend the latter method, both when it comes to cars and AS.) AS is, thus, like drinking - if you do a glass of red wine a day, it can be a boon to your health; if you do a fifth of vodka a day, it will be a bane to your health.

cavemanspearchucker is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DiMensionX
    That means I will live 2.11 years less now. I have smoked a pack a day for 15 years. Honestly, those numbers you gave sounded high at first. Now after doing the math I think they are low. If I continue to smoke I KNOW it will take 20 years off my life.

Nicotine is the worst drug I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with. And unfortunatly there are many I haven't done in my younger days.

As an example, my mother died at 53 from a heart attack and lung cancer. She smoked a pack or two a day since she was 16. Her mother lived to be 93, smoked a pipe (go figure) and died of old age, no heart problems, no cancers.

God I gotta quit smoking.

Bump about effect on steroids on life, need to know how to adjust my figures . Maybe I can stop saving cause I'll die early .

DMX
    its not hard its just will power. quit for two years cold turkey the first 3 days are the hardest

KAEW44 is offline Senior Member
    HGH isnt really a steroid , but i'm sure it will increase your life expectancy if your on it long enough.

Thread Information