Amanda is offline New Member

Exclamation Rational benefits of using steroids?

I am a grad student doing a research project on anabloic steroids . I need to come up with some legitimate benefits of using steroids (fro argumentative purposes). I am looking for information from valid sources (MDs, PhDs, organizations, etc) that steroids may not be that bad after all and should not be out-lawed.
    Also, if any of you have an opinion about legalizing steroid use again and why, I would greatly appreciate it. Please help.
    Thanks,
    Amanda

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Cool Welcome, Amanda . . .

A good place for you to start is http://www.SteroidLaw.com - it will give you a legal background on anabolic steroids (AS), as well as some background philosophy from a lawyer's perspective. You'll also find a background article that includes a perspective on doing AS for medical purposes. While your focus may be geared toward weight lifters and bodybuilders, the related areas of law and medicine (including medical uses of AS) will provide good support.

Needless to say, you will also find lots of references in any reputable database. I'm sure that this is a well-researched area (thanks, in part, to many grad students in areas ranging from sports psychology to physiology), and I'd recommend that you go to any of the standard medical and psychology search engines, as well as databases related to the National Institutes of Health. Among the many statistical studies, I'm sure you will find several more anecdotal studies with the type of opinions you seek.

Also, do not neglect some of the AIDS-related boards out there. Of all general (non-bodybuilding) populations, the most discussion of AS tends to take place among persons who are HIV positive or have AIDS (because steroids are key to avoiding what used to be called "wasting syndrome").

Remember, of course, that anabolic steroids are like masturbation - many people do it, but few talk about it. Thus, from a general perspective, realize that we are talking about a field of study in which both opinions and samples are likely to be skewed. (Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like your social science research prof.) We are also talking about an area that is highly anecdotal - there are, for example, many interviews (some of which appear on various AS boards) with persons who use AS, usually athletes. Obviously, these will be subjective in nature, but you can often find some good, quotable material as to rationale and benefits of AS.

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    Also may want to look under anti-aging, as GH, hormone replacement is starting to be seen and valid "foutain of Youth" so to speak

samoth is offline Member
    Look up some of the research and studies of Dr. Charles Yesalis. He has published many findings regarding anabolic steriods in sports and exercise.

Mr. Fina is offline Associate Member

Re: Rational benefits of using steroids?

Originally posted by Amanda
    I am a grad student doing a research project on anabloic steroids . I need to come up with some legitimate benefits of using steroids (fro argumentative purposes). I am looking for information from valid sources (MDs, PhDs, organizations, etc) that steroids may not be that bad after all and should not be out-lawed.
    Also, if any of you have an opinion about legalizing steroid use again and why, I would greatly appreciate it. Please help.
    Thanks,
    Amanda
    Amanda, I'm currently working on PhD in exercise science. Not to piss on your parade but your research topic will be very difficult due to negative mass media on steroids. I precaution you on "legitimate resources" you find. Be aware of who funds the research that will ultimately decide the outcome of the experiment (too much bias in science today). Your best bet is to satrt with controlled/prescribed use in HIV patients.

Amanda is offline New Member
    Thanks everyone; the information is very helpful!
    Amanda

BIGTEX is offline Associate Member
    If your school has access to the sportsdiscus server or academic search elite I would start my search there. I have tried to do many a paper on this subject and clinical sources are rare. I would do as previously suggested and try looking for articles related to hiv or those dealing with muscle loss in the elderly...
    Good Luck
    Tex

NightOp is offline Member
    also, if your looking for more informal opinions on the subject and some simple arguments for legalization, do a search on "legalize", "ledalized", or "legalization" on the board here... I have seen numerous and often well spoken opinions on this subject, that explain why steroids have such a bad name, which is in my opinion due to lack of education and widespread media lies... this is not to say that steroids are harmless, rather when done correctly with safety at the forefront, they aren't quite the "monster" that many people view them as.., good luck on your paper

VEGETA990 is offline Associate Member

Re: Rational benefits of using steroids?

Originally posted by Amanda
    Thanks,
    Amanda
    1. why should steroids be legalized? There is no link to its use or distribution leading to the break down of society (gangs, drug sales perpetuating violence etc.)
    2. it is not addictive, and so there are no juicer's robbing and stealing for a "fix" like addicts on crack or heroin.
    3. no one has ever overdosed from steroids- even after many people use them for over a decade, they are still in good health.
    4. it does not impair judgement, so if a juicer gets behind the wheel while on a cycle, he is not endangering himself or those around him.
    5. and to those that say roid rage exists: your wrong. it does not. people who have propencities for violence may become violent while on steroids only because they feel "strong" and they can not handle their new found strength. solution: have it used as a percription drug where only doctors can prescribe and administer it, so that it can not be used in unsafe doseages.

so why is it illegal: politicians feel that if it was legalized that steroids would run rampid through sports, in high school, college, and professional. not to mention the olympics
    what i say: they are all niave fools. anyone with moderate intelligence can get them, why not have them use them with supervision.

at the very least it should be decriminalized, meaning that punishment for getting caught with them is a fine for a few hundred bucks, but never jail time.

bottom line: alcohol is more dangerous than steroids, not to mention other illegal drugs such as crack or heroin. alcohol and tobacco are responsible for more deaths, both of the innocent and those who use them, than are steroids.

Mr. Fina is offline Associate Member

Re: Re: Rational benefits of using steroids?

Originally posted by VEGETA990

2. it is not addictive, and so there are no juicer's robbing and stealing for a "fix" like addicts on crack or heroin.
    3. no one has ever overdosed from steroids - even after many people use them for over a decade, they are still in good health.
    e doseages.

Thread Information