Androgenic anabolic steroids and arterial structure and function in male bodybuilders

posted by Fcontact at Qualitymuscle

Androgenic anabolic steroids and arterial structure and function in male bodybuilders.

Sader MA, Griffiths KA, McCredie RJ, Handelsman DJ, Celermajer DS.

Department of Cardiology, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney, Australia.

OBJECTIVES: The study examined arterial and cardiac structure and function in bodybuilders using androgenic anabolic steroids (AAS), compared to non-steroid -using bodybuilder controls. BACKGROUND: Adverse cardiovascular events have been reported in bodybuilders taking anabolic steroids. The cardiovascular effects of AAS, however, have not been investigated in detail. METHODS: We recruited 20 male bodybuilders (aged 35 +/- 3 years), 10 actively using AAS and 10 who denied ever using steroids. Serum lipid and hormone levels, carotid intima-media thickness (IMT), arterial reactivity, and left ventricular (LV) dimensions were measured. Vessel diameter was measured by ultrasound at rest, during reactive hyperemia (an endothelium-dependent response, leading to flow-mediated dilation, FMD), and after sublingual nitroglycerin (GTN, an endothelium-independent dilator). Arterial reactivity was also measured in 10 age-matched non-bodybuilding sedentary controls. RESULTS: Use of AAS was associated with significant decreases in high density lipoprotein cholesterol, sex hormone binding globulin, testosterone and gonadotrophin levels, and significant increases in LV mass and self-reported physical strength (p < 0.05). Carotid IMT (0.60 +/- 0.04 mm vs. 0.63 +/- 0.07 mm), arterial FMD (4.7 +/- 1.4% vs. 4.1 +/- 0.7%) and GTN responses (11.0 +/- 1.9% vs. 14.4 +/- 1.7%) were similar in both bodybuilding groups (p > 0.2). The GTN responses were significantly lower and carotid IMT significantly higher in both bodybuilding groups, however, compared with the non-bodybuilding sedentary controls (p = 0.01). CONCLUSIONS: Although high-level bodybuilding is associated with impaired vascular reactivity and increased arterial thickening, the use of AAS per se is not associated with significant abnormalities of arterial structure or function.

Mr. Sparkle is offline Slinabolic Vet / Retired
    good read, thanks again einy

C. F. Ebenbichler, W. Sturma, H. Gänzera, J. Bodnerb, B Mangweth, A. Ritscha, A. Sandhofera, M. Lechleitnera, B. Fögera, J. R. Patscha. Flow-mediated, endothelium-dependent vasodilatation is impaired in male body builders taking anabolic -androgenic steroids . Atherosclerosis, Volume 158, Issue 2, October 2001, Pages 483-490

This is a good read about flow mediated vasodilation, or simply put; the elasticity of blood vessels (the more elastic, the healthier).
    Although the research has some flaws, it still confirms that AFTER a cycle, the real damage to the cardiac system starts...

This one is for you Einstein:

Urhausen A, Torsten A, Wilfried K. Reversibility of the effects on blood cells, lipids, liver function and hormones in former anabolic -androgenic steroid abusers. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2003 Feb;84(2-3):369-75.

The best study available on the long term effects of AS on the axis, not to mention it mentions all effects on hormonal changes and other values
    (such as liver, cholesterol etc.)

Greets
    Kingofmasters

Lozgod is offline Anabolic Member
    Thats the first report that I read that said that juiced raised HDL levels.

UrbanDawg is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lozgod
    Thats the first report that I read that said that juiced raised HDL levels.
    juice RAISES HDL ? No way.. or well.. too good to be true. I have 140 total cholesterol but only 23 in HDL. I *WISH* PRAY DREAM* that juice rasied HDL but every time I get blood work my HDL has dropped a few points.

I am hoping that Nolva, EFAs and a ton of cardio will reverse this trend. I even take aspirin daily cuase Im woried about thickening of blodd on AAS.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanDawg
    juice RAISES HDL ? No way.. or well.. too good to be true. I have 140 total cholesterol but only 23 in HDL. I *WISH* PRAY DREAM* that juice rasied HDL but every time I get blood work my HDL has dropped a few points.

I am hoping that Nolva, EFAs and a ton of cardio will reverse this trend. I even take aspirin daily cuase Im woried about thickening of blodd on AAS.
    Miotolan raises HDL!

Lozgod is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanDawg

Niacin raises HDL, they have a prescription strength version, I am suprised your DR hasnt put you on it yet. Get something for it that is pretty low bro.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    If you could give us a quick explanation, it would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofmasters
    This is a good read about flow mediated vasodilation, or simply put; the elasticity of blood vessels (the more elastic, the healthier).
    Although the research has some flaws, it still confirms that AFTER a cycle, the real damage to the cardiac system starts...

Thread Information