BIG_JDAWG is offline Associate Member

Question Corticosteroids??

i was digging through my medicine cabinet, and i found a piece of paper that had some of the ingredients to a nasal spray i used called Nasacort. it said in there that "this product is a corticosteroid." can that be used as AS???? anyone know anything about this??? any help would be appreciated. i have like 10 bottles of this shit and i never use it because it just makes my nose dry. thanks

Big J

gymnut4u is offline Member

Here you go bro !!!

Hope this helps !

corticosteroid drug

Pronounced As: kôrtkostâroid , any one of several synthetic or naturally occurring substances with the general chemical structure of steroids . They are used therapeutically to mimic or augment the effects of the naturally occurring corticosteroids, which are produced in the cortex of the adrenal gland. Corticosteroids are very powerful drugs that affect the entire body; even corticosteroids used on large areas of skin for long periods are absorbed in sufficient quantity to cause systemic effects.
    Corticosteroids, as well as adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH), the pituitary gland substance that stimulates the adrenal cortex, have modifying effects on many diseases. Some corticosteroid derivatives mimic the action of the naturally occurring steroid hormone aldosterone, causing increased sodium retention and potassium excretion. Others have the same effects as the naturally occurring steroids cortisone and cortisol, which are classed as glucocorticoids; these affect carbohydrate and fat metabolism, reduce tissue inflammation, and suppress the body's immune defense mechanisms. Cortisone and hydrocortisone are used to treat Addison's disease, a disorder caused by underproduction of the adrenal cortex hormones. These and synthetic steroids are used extensively to treat arthritis and other rheumatoid diseases, including rheumatic heart disease. They are also used in some cases of autoimmune diseases such as systemic lupus erythematosus, in severe allergic conditions such as asthma, in allergic and inflammatory eye disorders, and in some respiratory diseases. The anti-inflammatory, itch-suppressing, and vasoconstrictive properties of steroids make them useful when applied to the skin to relieve diseases such as eczema and psoriasis and insect bites.

Because corticosteroids lower the resistance to infection, patients on steroid therapy cannot be vaccinated for smallpox or immunized. The administration of corticosteroids also causes underproduction of the natural hormones by the adrenal cortex, and so ACTH or corticosteroid therapy must always be withdrawn gradually. In addition, when used in large doses for long periods of time, the drugs can cause atrophy of the adrenal cortex. Side effects of steroid therapy include glaucoma, excess hair growth, and imbalance of many substances, including calcium, nitrogen, potassium, and sodium. Many of the synthetic corticosteroids, such as prednisone, prednisolone, triamcinolone, and betamethasone, are more potent than the naturally occurring compounds.

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Cool But in one word: Nope.

Big_JDawg, Gymnut has provided an excellent background article on corticosteroids.

But as I understand it, bro, your question is simply: Does the Nasacort spray you found have any anabolic value?

None whatsoever.

To compare corticosteroids and anabolic steroids is like comparing apples and moon rocks. But it was a great example of wishful thinking.

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    Take it from some who has seen effects of corticosteroids..... they have all negatives like bloat, acne, mood swings, and none of the positive...

LewdTenant is offline Respected Member
    Corticosteroids reduce inflamation in the lining of your airway. It will not build muscle at all.

I've seen on many occasions corticosteroids referred to as "steroids " in medical journals.

Lewd

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Yes yes yes. Just because something says it is a "steriod " does not always mean it has anabolic properties.

Methuselah is offline Member
    Originally posted by LewdTenant
    Corticosteroids reduce inflamation in the lining of your airway. It will not build muscle at all.

I've seen on many occasions corticosteroids referred to as "steroids " in medical journals.

Lewd
    You're body naturally produces cortisol to protect your brain from other hormones such as testosterone , estrogen, serotonin, etc. Your body has receptors that the brain can turn on and off, your brain only has a lining that lets the hormones freely pass through. The example is that when you have an anxiety attack or hurt yourself and your body releases tons of serotonin or other hormones, the brain signals the release of cortisol to fight it off so it doesn't get "poisoned" by them--the excessive cortisol prevent them from being able to pass through the brains lining.

In other words, you can say that cortisol has a catabolic effect. Read up. Cortisol is not your friend.

Here is the best information that I have found on the subject,
    well worth the $20.00:

http://store.zoneperfect.com/site/pdf/em_tafz.pdf

BIG_JDAWG is offline Associate Member
    thanks for all the info guys! i wasn't really sure about it all. i mean, i know about AS, but this was the first i have ever seen of cortico. so that is why i asked. thanks for all the great info you guys have given. hopefully this not only helps me out, but other members in the future! thanks again

Big J

Thread Information