RAM2500 is offline Member

B12 inject or swallow

I popsted this question on the Suppliment forum, 16 views, no responses. I figured I would give it a try here if thats OK. I just bought some B-12 from calvetsupply 1000 mcg , I also bought liquid B-12 from GNC also 1000 mcg
    that you take by mouth. Is there an advantage to injecting the B-12 vs. mixing the GNC in a drink. If there is no difference why inject?

come on somebody must know the answer to this

ODC0717 is offline Anabolic Member
    Never tried the liquid B-12, just the shot. Love the shot, though. Gives me a nice boost of energy and helps my appetite.

durkheim is offline Junior Member
    B12 injections have far greater bioavailability.

Taking it orally will only yield a very marginal rate of absorption as its broken down in your stomach and liver.

BrundleFly is offline New Member
    i believe b12 is injected because it is difficult to absorb when swallowed. there are also some sublingual verieties that are most easily absorbed.

bigordie is offline Member
    b12 is extremely effective if taken orally, just at a much higher dose than if injected

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    i believe about 95% of b12 is not absorbed when taken orally. So it works out both very costly and very inneficient to supplement with it orally.

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    Mix it with gear- inject!

I found out from my girlfriend who is an RN that when taken Orally, and digested thru stomach, which then goes to liver there is something called the first pass effect. which means that your liver will detoxify and breakdown everything that goes thru this route. what ever is left over after the liver does its job is then taken into the blood stream and used by the body's cells (cellular absorption). Not sure how much of a dose is left, depends on substance and livers response to it. probably half or more is wasted. So, you would have to adjust dosage accordingly, higher of course for oral route. sublingual is more efficient than oral, if your not going to inject, but still some will be lost in swallowing. IM is most efficient!!!! and is a few minutes for most or all of the absorption to occur.

Thread Information