worldtraveln is offline Associate Member

What is Glycogen used for?

I went to the local pharmacy the other day and while I was there some BB came in and bought up a whole lotta cans of glycogen. What excatly is gylcogen used for? Its my understanding that it is just clinical sugar. If this is the case maybe he is using it for an insulin spike or is there some other explanation?

chances is offline Associate Member
    Could be for carb loading while taking insulin , could be for PWO nutrition to cause an insulin spike. It enters the bloodstream really fast, so it could be for either.

Glycogen is the sugar that carbs are broken down into. It is the basic fuel of the body.

chance

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C130nav
    I went to the local pharmacy the other day and while I was there some BB came in and bought up a whole lotta cans of glycogen. What excatly is gylcogen used for? Its my understanding that it is just clinical sugar. If this is the case maybe he is using it for an insulin spike or is there some other explanation?
    You sure it wasn't Glucose? Glycogen is bodie's stored form of glucose.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    It was probably called glycogen but was glucose sugar. It's converted primarily in the liver to glycogen for long term energy storage in various tissues, muscle as being the # 1 location but also stored in organs.

Thread Information