Ketogenic is offline Banned

glucophage(metformin)

i am on CKD (cyclic ketogenic diet) and i use glucophage during my carbups at 3000mg in the first phase wher i eat hi gi meals and 2000mg in the second day wher i eat low gi carbs and 1500mg next day to deplete my liver glycogen and get back quiqly to ketosis and i am getting good result sunday i wakeup with full pumped muscles ,my queation is for the guys who used glucophage(metformin) did u ever had gaz ,stomach problems and loss of apetite while u r on it i am having those problem and it make it hard for me to eat during those 2 days its been 4 maybe 5 weeks i am using this stuff and every time i get those problems,in the first phase (the hi gi carb phase) i dont have too much gaz because my food consist of soft things like bread,glucose,low fat pizza,white rice and mached potatoe but the gaz increase too much in the second day wher i eat grains,whole weat bread,fiberous veggies and brown rice.
    any help is apreciated

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    Ya it hurt my stomach. I switched r-ALA and loved it.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    3g's is more than I have ever done but einstein has a few posts about alternatives to metformin... one that has less stomach issues and more suited for bb purposes (muscular system)... do a search on Metformin or Glucophage in these forums...

Here are some posts... can't find the one where einstein talks about the benefits of one over the other when it comes to bb purposes...

Quote Originally Posted by einstein1905
    Avandia (rosiglitazone) is a far better choice IMO. it's not comparab;e to slin, but it will increase insulin sensitivity a great deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by SexyKitty
    Sorry had to throw my 2 cents in, but if your gonna use a TZD....use actos (pioglitazone) instead of Avandia (rosiglitazone). Both of them work the same way....ie they reduce insulin resistance, and allow the body to use it's own circulating insulin more effetively. However, Avandia should be taken twice daily to be effective and is known to increase LDL (bad cholesterol) whereas Actos is a once daily drug and helps to lower triglycerides, increase HDL (good cholesterol) and has no effect on LDL. Be cautious however as both of these drugs can potentially increase liver enzymes (ALT specifically).

Also keep in mind that both actos and avandia work at the cellular level so they take about 4-6 weeks before they even start to work, you may probably want to stick to insulin since you will need fast results. Metformin is not a great choice, 90% of its effectiveness comes from reducing hepatic glucose output and it loses efficacy pretty quickly....plus it causes big time gas and stomach upset.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Would there be any benefit to using Metformin with Avandia... say, 1000mg/4mg (split up twice a day) ED to increase insulin sensitivity on a cutting cycle? Rather than either solo? I am probably going to try this with Test/Var...

Thread Information