1-Cent is offline Anabolic Member

Testosterone masks pain - From MD Mag

"Princeton scientists led by Dr. Micheala Hau showed that testosterone masks pain and discomfort. men fight more than women, probably because testosterone helps maintain stamina. male sparrows given testosterone implants tolerated discomfort (hot water) longer than before, suggesting that testosterone somehow masks pain. blocking testosterone had the opposite effect, the birds showed less tolerance to pain. increasing the pain threshold may be one reason athletes who take testosterone can train harder than those who don't. the research has implications for people with chronic pain and other adults who have low testosterone levels and plenty of aches and pains."

(quote borrowed from cjm)

What does everyone think of these findings? First I gotta say what kind of b@stard submerges sparrows in scaulding hot water timing how long until they die, animal testing sucks also I don't know how they would measure the pain tollerance of a suffering animal and be able to pin point just to what degree they're suffering, but that aside its interesting.

joevette is offline Banned
    I read somewhere that just working out hard over time increases your pain tolerance.

SportsMedVIP is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-Cent
    "Princeton scientists led by Dr. Micheala Hau showed that testosterone masks pain and discomfort. men fight more than women, probably because testosterone helps maintain stamina. male sparrows given testosterone implants tolerated discomfort (hot water) longer than before, suggesting that testosterone somehow masks pain. blocking testosterone had the opposite effect, the birds showed less tolerance to pain. increasing the pain threshold may be one reason athletes who take testosterone can train harder than those who don't. the research has implications for people with chronic pain and other adults who have low testosterone levels and plenty of aches and pains."

(quote borrowed from cjm)

What does everyone think of these findings? First I gotta say what kind of b@stard submerges sparrows in scaulding hot water timing how long until they die, animal testing sucks also I don't know how they would measure the pain tollerance of a suffering animal and be able to pin point just to what degree they're suffering, but that aside its interesting.
    It sounds to me like they put them in water and increased the temp until they hopped out. Not that they trapped them in there and cooked 'em dead. The test would be measured by what temp they jumped out at.
    Last edited by ECoastVIP; 09-03-2004 at 07:15 PM.

Tribex is offline Associate Member
    Interesting read...

I can tell you another thing, I know people in pro wrestling say that steroids help reduce pain, increase recovery time (work out pain as well as pain from shows), and help with keeping them running on such a pressing schedule (often just 4 hours of sleep a night). I find the reduction in pain to be noticable.

BOSTONBEATDOWNS is offline Associate Member
    i hate animal testing, its not right in some cases. who the hell comes up with this crap, "boiling water" some people man i tell ya... go read thoe...

NewBreed is offline Associate Member
    Especially d-bol helps me to tolerate pain well;there is a study that shows Test to help overcome severest depression with a survived suicide-attempt without the augmentation of any antidepressant.

Intresting how stupid athletes did know it before ;-)

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BOSTONBEATDOWNS
    i hate animal testing, its not right in some cases. who the hell comes up with this crap, "boiling water" some people man i tell ya... go read thoe...
    I hear ya bro. Kill these fukz!

big daddy k de is offline Senior Member
    nice .. that preety cool

DOUGTM1SS is offline Associate Member
    Why not put the researcher in scalding hot water to find his pain threshold

angelxterminator is offline Senior Member
    READ THE ARTICLE. the researcher did not put the sparrows in scalding hot water and hold them there. He let them sit in the water and slowly increased the temperature until they decided it was too hot for their liking and hopped out. He did the same thing to the testosterone supplemented sparrows, and noted that the supplemented sparrows decided they would stay in the water longer..

there is nothing mean about that, it was the animals decision to hop out of the water!!!!! Now if it was as all of you said and he boiled them to death, then i'd say we should do the same to him, but with oil!

angelxterminator is offline Senior Member
    and they say bodybuilders are hearless meatheads.....

the lot of you are just a bunch of sappy liberal panzies!!!

Quote Originally Posted by angelxterminator
    and they say bodybuilders are hearless meatheads.....

the lot of you are just a bunch of sappy liberal panzies!!!

The first sight of an animal not doing what it wants to in nature and everyone's screaming. Funny. I agree though, once the physical hurting and such starts I get the same way.

Anhydro78 is offline Anabolic Member
    Im not sure if this is totally accurate. When im taking alot of test I have more muscle pulls and tendon aches than when not on. I for whatever reason dont care about the pain. Not that the pain isnt there, I find it easier to drown out the pain while on Testosterone .

Steroids101 is offline Member
    Im on dbol and test right now, and Im not sure about the pain thing, but Im pretty sure that Im indestructable.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroids101
    Im on dbol and test right now, and Im not sure about the pain thing, but Im pretty sure that Im indestructable.
    That's funny.

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steroids101

You know you are on test when:

You think that you can drive your car into a brick wall, and you're pretty dang sure you'll be able to walk away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by inheritmylife
    You know you are on test when:

You think that you can drive your car into a brick wall, and you're pretty dang sure you'll be able to walk away from it.
    .... and you get out of the car to fight the wall.

Thread Information