msu16366 is offline Member

bench press competition

Well i am in week 8 of 500 cyp and 400 eq. I never thought of getting into a benchpress competition before until i was benching today and was approached by someone. He said i should get in it but i said i cant really put that much up. I put up 315 almost 4 times. I weigh 185-190, and i am 5 ft 11 .is this good enough to enter a competition or am i wasting my time.
    Also if i want to increase my bench should i max out every time. Also how should i max out,
    example: what i did today for chest
    Exercise 1: bench press
    set 1 (warmup) 135@15
    set 2 185@6
    set 3 225 @ 6
    set 4 315@ 3 )4 with spotter
    Exercise 2: db flat bench
    100@ 6-8 for 4 sets
    Exercise 3. Incline press machine 4 sets 8-10
    exercise 4. chest press machine 4 sets 6-10
    Any advice on how to get my max up would be awesome.

max-it is offline Member
    well i weigh 235 but i bensched 405 6 times this morning during my normal workout. what is your bf% your going to have to bench 2x body weight at least to be competitive.

gibsonlpsd is offline Junior Member
    i was offered to be on some power team back when i was in high school. i was 140 and could bench 315, squat 475, power clean 250, and deadlift 405. those were my maxes at the end of the summer going into my senior year. during the football season i never did any heavy lifting so i lost all my strength and i never got back into power lifting. i just lifted from then on to stay in shape. I would have won state that year too if i would have competed. wish i would have stuck with power lifting, i might have been able to do something. but i think at your weight and with that max it would be average, but i don't know what the standards are for lifiting in your area. i know at my old high school most everybody who weighed 230+, it was mandatory that they be able to lift a lot. but like i said, you never know. i think you should do it if you have never done one. you could learn a lot from it and then you would get an idea of your standings in strength.

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    Workout section.

cj1capp is offline Anabolic Member

Wink

last year while on gear i hit 405 for three reps , havig been very new to the sport i was very plesed, after my wife found out about the gear I had to stop everything. AM starting back up with all , but have added a password to my computer

needle is offline Senior Member
    IM 5 -9 188 now and i got up 315 for 4 times with fingers on the 4th, and i maxed out at 340 for 1 time! So personally id say your probably a little bit above average. But your workout seams good. I do almost the same thing except, i pyramid back down!

bigordie is offline Member
    sounds good bro and strong but if you want some good advice for a bench routine to increase your max you should check out the workout forum...they helped me alot with a similar situation

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    2x your weight should be a good mark to hit

dumblucky is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msu16366
    Well i am in week 8 of 500 cyp and 400 eq. I never thought of getting into a benchpress competition before until i was benching today and was approached by someone. He said i should get in it but i said i cant really put that much up. I put up 315 almost 4 times. I weigh 185-190, and i am 5 ft 11 .is this good enough to enter a competition or am i wasting my time.
    Also if i want to increase my bench should i max out every time. Also how should i max out,
    example: what i did today for chest
    Exercise 1: bench press
    set 1 (warmup) 135@15
    set 2 185@6
    set 3 225 @ 6
    set 4 315@ 3 )4 with spotter
    Exercise 2: db flat bench
    100@ 6-8 for 4 sets
    Exercise 3. Incline press machine 4 sets 8-10
    exercise 4. chest press machine 4 sets 6-10
    Any advice on how to get my max up would be awesome.
    sorry bro I already beat ya
    no sense goin to a comp to come in second
    IMO

GTCp1 is offline New Member
    Keep your sets and reps low. Do 1 warm-up of 8 and then go heavy for 3 sets of six. I am 195 now and bench 315 fairly easy for 6-8. 2 years ago natural when I trained 5 days out of 7 I was benching 415 for six at 185 lbs. I think you need to be around that 415 mark to be competitive for a bench press competition.

Thread Information