TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Cool News of Sunny Mexico...

From today's Knight-Ridder newspapers (a chain of dailies here in the U.S.). The original article appears here.

Today's contribution to, um, cultural awareness.
    Yeah . . . That's the ticket.

RIDGE: U.S., MEXICO TO TIGHTEN BORDER SECURITY
    By Kevin G. Hall
    Knight Ridder News Service

MEXICO CITY - The United States and Mexico soon will tighten their vulnerable 2,000-mile common border, U.S. Homeland Security Director Tom Ridge promised yesterday.

"Neither the United States nor Mexico is satisfied with the border arrangements we have today," Ridge said on a visit to Mexico. He pledged more and better detection devices and other security-enhancing innovations on the U.S. side, saying: "Our technological approach to the border is really outdated." President Bush and Mexican President Vicente Fox will sign a border security-improvement agreement March 22, Ridge said, when they meet in the northern Mexican city of Monterrey.

Mexican border authorities had no immediate comment on Ridge's views on the state of border security.

The porous U.S. border with Mexico has long been an open door to drug traffickers and to coyotes, who smuggle illegal immigrants into the United States. The majority of those smuggled are Mexican nationals, but in recent years the activity has expanded to include people of many nationalities.

Initial reports that some Sept. 11 terrorists had entered the United States via Mexico proved false, but the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon intensified U.S. concern about its borders. The United States and Canada have signed a border security-improvement measure.

One precondition of both deals is that tighter border security not interfere with commerce. Canada and Mexico are the United States' two largest trading partners.

Ridge said the improvements would build on existing antidrug efforts.

One initiative, he said, is "smart" technology to distinguish quickly between, for instance, an executive from Texas who crosses the border regularly on business and a potential terrorist crossing for the first time.

The two governments also are looking at preferential border-crossing systems that speed through, say, regular shipments from a California-based manufacturer to its Mexican subsidiary while flagging and slowing cargo from an infrequent exporter whose load might include terrorist weaponry.

The Bush administration's fiscal 2003 budget proposes to spend $11 billion on border security, $2.2 billion more than in 2002. Much of the money would go to finance more patrolling along the Canadian border, but Ridge said he also wanted more high-tech mobile and fixed X-ray machines to screen Mexican border cargoes.
    Last edited by TNT; 03-06-2002 at 06:07 PM.

9natural9 is offline Banned
    put the bullet in th chamber....

bigkev is offline Scamming Traitor
    that sucks....

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    amen Kev, that does suck. Man, Bin Ladden I wanna put a bullet right thru his head for causing all this BS...
    I wonder if that is going to drive the prices up on gear? I mean think about it, more risk for domestic guys to get stuff in from south of the boarder? hmmm dammit, I hate that chit.. Let's just all go out and tell Congress to make gear "legal"... dammit..

Lil D is offline Junior Member
    You guys are right, that sucks. That just might end my cycle before I get my first.

Lil D

ironfist is offline Elite Hall Of Fame ~ RIP ~
    Keep the illegals out but for god's sake, don't fuck with my roids....

Triple Plates is offline Associate Member
    ....sigh.... Look for prices to be on the rise sooner or later

REM
    REM is offline Member
    mannn... and i just got my plane ticket
    last night for march 21 and the bullshit
    agreement will be sign on march 22 that's nice
    i hope nothing happen knowing that previous times
    i been there, there are alot of security all
    over, i asked the travel agent if they are really
    going into your luggage, she told yes and so she
    reccommended to me to take only 2 bags to avoid
    alot checking, i'll keep in touch on my return..

GUARDIAN is offline New Member
    Looks like I need to take a drive to SOCAL and load up before all this lock down happens.

MILPOLDAN1 is offline Member
    Yeah becareful on that flight when i came back from iraq with my k-9 dog i had to get on a civilian flight and they cut all my locks on my army gear even and even pulled my k-9 dog out of his crate to search it to see if i was sneeking anything back from the middle east, I.E. guns drugs (roids, and herion), or explosives be real careful on the flight because chances are you will get caught.

G-1000 is offline Cycle King/AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Blog Entries
    this is 3 year old what the fuc

MILPOLDAN1 is offline Member
    oh didnt see that

G-1000 is offline Cycle King/AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Blog Entries
    i know

Thread Information