diesel578 is offline Junior Member

Ahhhhhhhhnold!!!

California 'govern-ator' Schwarzenegger OKs sale of clean needles

LOS ANGELES (AFP) - AIDS (news - web sites) activists praised California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger (news - web sites) for signing a bill allowing pharmacies to sell hypodermic needles to drug users in a bid to combat HIV (news - web sites) and AIDS.

AFP/Pool/File Photo

The former movie star, a Republican with liberal social views, on Monday signed legislation allowing the sale of up to 10 clean syringes over the counter.

In California and four other US states, a doctor's prescription is currently needed to purchase syringes amid fears that the move would condone and promote intravenous drug use by addicts.

"The consequences of sharing contaminated needles and syringes have taken a significant toll on the public's health," Schwarzenegger said in a message accompanying his signature of the law.

"My administration supports this measure because it will prevent the spread of HIV, hepatitis and other blood-borne diseases among injection drug users, their sexual partners and their children," said Schwarzenegger, who was elected to lead the most populous US state last October.

The governor said that research had shown that access to syringes significantly reduces the occurrence of HIV, AIDS and Hepatitis C without increasing drug use or crime.

Similar bills were vetoed two years ago by former Democratic governor Gray Davis (news - web sites) amid fears by some law-enforcement figures that they would send drug use soaring.

Under the law, local governments will be able to decide whether to licence pharmacies to distribute needles under what will be a five-year experiment on the move's effectiveness at combating AIDS and HIV.

Health officials and AIDS activists hailed the governor's controversial move as a political victory, saying the scarcity of clean needles helped spread disease among people who share syringes.

"It's one heck of a whole lot of progress," Bruce Pomer, executive director of the Health Officers Association of California told The Los Angeles Times.

"If you asked me a couple of years ago if we could have a governor who could sign a bill like that, I would tell you I don't think so."

Fred Dillon of the San Francisco AIDS Foundation also praised the move.

"Anything that expands access is really key to fighting AIDS and hepatitis and saving lives," he told The San Francisco Chronicle.

BASK8KACE is offline Anabolic Member
    He was thinking about all the steroid users when he did that. Republicans can't see people with AIDS. In fact, HIV/AIDS patients are just ghosts--figments of the public's imagination as far as Republicans are concerned.

bigordie is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BASK8KACE
    He was thinking about all the steroid users when he did that. Republicans can't see people with AIDS. In fact, HIV/AIDS patients are just ghosts--figments of the public's imagination as far as Republicans are concerned.
    either way its a good thing...i think making the purchase of needles illegal can only result in further damage. its gonna force drug addicts to use dirty needles and spread diseases...i guess the democrats in NYC were the only ones that "can see people with aids" and thats why they passed that law... liberals

Well if the liberals don't win this next election, that gun (or bomb) might be pointed at you by someone outside this country.

lol i knew that would get a response out of you...there is a better chance of john carrey planting a bomb in the US then him protecting us from one

Quote Originally Posted by bigordie
    lol i knew that would get a response out of you...there is a better chance of john carrey planting a bomb in the US then him protecting us from one
    Well, when you learn how to spell his name correctly, get back to me.

Anhydro78 is offline Anabolic Member
    Would that also mean Im injection syringes??? Where I live you can buy all the slin pins you want but cant ever find a pharmacy to sell you big needles.

dumblucky is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anhydro78
    Would that also mean Im injection syringes??? Where I live you can buy all the slin pins you want but cant ever find a pharmacy to sell you big needles.

???WTF where do you live bro
    thats one jacked up sense of morality they got goin

Anhydro78 is offline Anabolic Member
    Yeah they will sell me all the needles I need for recreational drugs. But frown upon needles for steroids . I use to have to buy vet rigs at the tack shop, untill I found the online community of body builders and sources and research companys.

Actually they probally wouldnt sell them to me if I didnt look like a druggy!!LOL I think the only reason they do it for drug needle users is because they like our buddy Arnold want to help the AIDS problem.

Quote Originally Posted by BASK8KACE
    Well, when you learn how to spell his name correctly, get back to me.
    lol i just realized i did that this morning i was going to edit it before you saw it...hhahahahahaha too late

Thread Information