Clarkk is offline Junior Member

Has Anyone Here Broken A Rib?

Monday, I was on the hammer Sled Leg machine where you lay on your back and push weight up at a 45 degree angle. I had (9) 45 pound plates on each side or 810lbs on the machine. (probably not alot of weight for many here). I went down too far and could not go back up. The machine has a safety in case that happens, but it still crunched me like an accordion. When I tried to get out, I heard a loud pop in my lower left rib cage. I was able to finish the rest of my workout.

Today, two days later, it hurts when I breath in and out. It hurts no matter how i sleep. Every time I move it hurts. The area does not seem swollen but really hurt when I touch or push on it.

I have insurance but I want to avoid going to the doctor if there is not much they can do anyway. I want to lift today but it will hurts like hell.

Does anyone have experience with a broken rib or a strained rib cage? Maybe I just separated the cartledge from the bone. How long does this take to heal? Can I workout and avoid exercises that strain the area?

djboots is offline Associate Member
    I would not work out until you see a doctor. those are the same syptoms that my sister had when she broke hers. she broke her rip from coughing while being very sick

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.

Thumbs down

You are screwed for about 2-3 weeks it will hurt even when you breathe deep so cardio is even out. You can wrap them tight but it's gonna hurt no matter what. Arms, legs eveything is attached to the torso which holds the rib cage. I suggest drinking alot of alcohol and sitting on your ass for a week or so.

Bryan2 is offline Supplement Guru
    Yah its broken bro sorry but your gonaa hate everything for a while your lookin at about 6 weeks off time. I was able to work out with broken ribs but it was pathetic concentrate on arms and shoulders calfs everything else will hurt by a rib brace the doc cannotdo anything for ribs whatsoever so if you got money save it but if you arnt paying what the hell go to the doc

angelxterminator is offline Senior Member
    yea i shattered the right side of my ribe cage in a moto-x accident. my YZ took off at a steep angle and somebody clipped my rear tire, so i landed on flat hard-pack from about 30 ft in the air, and lucky me, my bike landed right on top of me )

also had a torn acl(right), torn mcl(left), numerous hairline fractures, and blown meniscus in my right leg

djboots is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by angelxterminator
    yea i shattered the right side of my ribe cage in a moto-x accident. my YZ took off at a steep angle and somebody clipped my rear tire, so i landed on flat hard-pack from about 30 ft in the air, and lucky me, my bike landed right on top of me )

also had a torn acl(right), torn mcl(left), numerous hairline fractures, and blown meniscus in my right leg
    wow sounds like a great sport!!!!

Well, If it is broke, at least I'm on week 12 of my cycle. But I'm not going to give up yet. I'll go to the doctor this week. But I'll give it a shot at the gym tonight. I can take the pain, I just don't want to have to get pins or something major by continuing to work out.

I broke a bone in my wrist during a wrestling match when I was younger and had a cast put on. I busted it off a couple days later and wrestled with the pain. It did not cause any extra damage.

I'll keep keep you informed and any advice is appreciated. It just that I have a few good weeks of my cycle and I don't want to quit.

Monkeytown is offline Senior Member
    I've experienced this one time. Actually I heard the popo in my lower left rib during the negative portion of the lift. Like I compressed it too much b4 pushing the weight back up. It took me about 2-3 weeks til it was gone 100%. It effected some of my workout, so I worked around it.

Good luck man!!

MT

bigordie is offline Member
    yeah bro sounds broke...i broke mine in a football game couple years back...wrap it tight and give it some rest. oh yeah i like 1victors remedy of large quantaties of alchohol as well

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Yea I had myu shoulder pop out while bench.. there wasnt really a pop.. more of a crunch.. but yea took about 1 month and it hurt to breath etc

PT
    PT is offline DUNAMIS ~ AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    dude there is no way your ribs are broke. i fractured two ribs before and couldnt breath and certinaly wasnt able to work out. your pancreas is behind your ribcage and they were scared my broken rib would puncture it. maybe mine was way worse but when i fractured my 2 i was off for 10 weeks. but then again if you only have a hairline fracture im sure you can get around. but i wouldnt recommend working out with a hair line fracture cause it could snapp.

nickrizz is offline Anabolic Member
    I fractured 2 ribs wrestling, the doc said they never heal properly

Bryan2 is offline Supplement Guru
    Yeah it depends on how broken it is you probably have a hairline I snaped all the ribs on left side in half and one of those bitches decided to stab my lung.

I still cycled anyway and lifted very very carefully I might add

GrantC5 is offline Associate Member
    It usually takes approx. 3 - 4 weeks to heal if they are fractured. I boxed from 5 years old until I was about 21 and had several rib breaks (fractures) and it hurts to take deep breaths and it hurts to piss sometimes if it is more towards the rear of the rib cage. I would definately get it checked out to see how bad it is and make sure it isnt going to rub or puncture your lung. Good Luck hope it heals quick for you.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm still seeing that 810lbs and you think that's not much?? It goes to show excessive weight increases injury 2-fold. I would not workout until it's x-rayed(only light) if its not a complete fracture yet it could soon be one. Good luck

UPDATE:

I went to the doctor last night and he compressed my ribs with his hands and said that my ribs were not broken.

He said I probably ripped the connective tissues surrounding my ribs. He said an x-ray was not necessary and that even if I did have a hairline fracture there was nothing he could do anyway.

He gave me pain killers and said if I go back to the gym workout at 80-85%.

I still don't think I can workout yet so I'll wait until Saturday.

Thanks for the help at least I know now they are not broken.

fitter-happier is offline New Member
    yeah, this same exact thing happened to me doing the same exercise using the same machine. if you broke your rib, you would not be here posting "i can take the pain." if you did, it would kill you to breathe, not breathe, sit, stand, anything and everything. the pop you heard was the connective tissue tearing because you had way too much weight and went down on your negative further than you should have. i decided to do jack squat for a month after that injury, so i healed up after a month or so. but then again, you do have painkillers now. good luck.

Demon Deacon is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nickrizz
    I fractured 2 ribs wrestling, the doc said they never heal properly
    I did the same right before a big tourney. I think mine healed ok. Sometimes it feels week in that area.

AnabolicAlien Guest

Yep...

About 2 years ago that happened to me. i have about 1000 pounds on the leg press and when my knees came back one time it broke a rib. it hurt to take a deep breath, x-rays revealed a fracture.

A.A.

Thread Information