Thread: Vioxx Wtf

kman is offline Anabolic Member

Vioxx Wtf

Vioxx is no longer being made!!!! and the company itself took it of the market, saying it causes heart attacks and strokes if used over 18 months. Sh*t man I still have half a bottle, I wanna throw it in the garbage but the crap helps with my patella tendonitis, oh well my health is more important, so I just bought some MSM pills and will bag the vioxx.. Anyone else try MSM? Any thoughts on vioxxx being pulled?...peace fellas

Matrix78 is offline Associate Member
    hey i work in pharmacy and we here is what Merck want you to do with the rest... this is just an FYI for you

Instructions for Patients on how to receive refund for unused VIOXX

Merck will reimburse patients for unused VIOXX.

Patients seeking a refund should return any unused VIOXX tablets and oral suspension via regular U.S. mail to the following address:

ATTN: NNC Group
    Merck Returns
    2670 Executive Drive
    Indianapolis, IN46241

Patients must include the following information when returning any unused VIOXX tablets and oral suspension:

1. Name, Address and Phone number
    2. Unused product in its original pharmacy packaging
    3. Pharmacy receipt corresponding to returned product

Patients will receive a full refund of the price paid as reflected on their pharmacy receipt, plus the cost of shipping via regular U.S. mail.

DEVLDOG is offline Retired VET
    how much are they worth,i have a drawer full of them.a friend of mine is a drug rep and everytime i saw him he would give me a box,i never used them just kept throwing them in a drawer.i must have1000 of them

Jdawg50 is offline Anabolic Member
    The rate of Heart attacks/ strokes after 18 months was 1.5% vs .75%... so chill bro. Most of the patients were over 55 years old too.

flexin-rph is offline Member
    Nah, keep takin' them until they are gone...these type of studies are usually flawed. This one was in a group of cancer patients (like they were real healthy, anyway).

I agree and think it would be safe to continue taking it, but when a company itself takes there own product off the market it makes me wonder..

SexyKitty is offline Female Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by flexin-rph
    Nah, keep takin' them until they are gone...these type of studies are usually flawed. This one was in a group of cancer patients (like they were real healthy, anyway).
    I really hope you were kidding. Pharma companies do not take products off the market for no good reason. When a huge company like Merck takes their biggest money making product off the market and loses billions of dollars in revenue and their stock plummets, they certainly would not have done it based on a "flawed" trial. The decision was based on a prospective, randomized, double blind, placebo controlled trial. That's the most "flawless" kind of trial there is. Besides, they had cancer, not heart problems, there is no correlation bw the two so they shouldn't have seen the increased incidence.

This guy just isn't at risk.....so he shouldn't have to worry as much. I sure wouldnt tell a little ol lady with crippling arthritis and previous history of heart problems that the trial was flawed and not to worry about it though.

Hey Kman....try Celebrex instead. It's in the same class as Vioxx but just because they are in the same class, does not mean it has the same risks.

thanx sexykitty, that was my next step to get some celebrex, I have heard good thigs about it and have used it in the passed. From what I hear it has the least side effects, so will try that if my MSM does not help with this patella tendonitis..later

SMYL_GR8 is offline Senior Member
    Vioxx and Celebrex are both COX2 inhibitors in the cyclo-oxygenase/prostaglandin pathway. All other NSAIDS like motrin, ibuprofen, naproxen, etc are COX1. COX2 produces more inflammatory prostaglandins, so Celebrex would be the best alternative. Motrin 800mg is the best OTC alternative.

O.T
    O.T is offline Associate Member
    kman i like your avatar

OSX guy here

MotoLifter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kman
    Vioxx is no longer being made!!!! and the company itself took it of the market, saying it causes heart attacks and strokes if used over 18 months. Sh*t man I still have half a bottle, I wanna throw it in the garbage but the crap helps with my patella tendonitis, oh well my health is more important, so I just bought some MSM pills and will bag the vioxx.. Anyone else try MSM? Any thoughts on vioxxx being pulled?...peace fellas

I got three words for ya bro...Class Action Lawsuit!!!!!! (cut me in when you 2 settle out of court)

Thread Information