Georgie is offline Member

Ever notice when they give you a shot at the doctor

Have you ever noticed when they give you a shot at the doctors office they do not aspirate . I just recieved a flu shot the other day and was watching very closely to see if the nurse would aspirate, she did not. In fact she just kinda jammed in seemingly any where into my shoulder and pushed the vaccine in. Now I always aspirate when i do my injections, but I have never seen a doctor do this. In fact when I try to reseach aspirating on the net, the only thing that ever comes up is a bunch of steroid sites. I have never really seen anything by the AMA. A pretty good gush of blood came out of my shoulder when she gave me the shot. I bet she went right through a vien. I wonder why medical professionals are not concerned with this? Now i'm not suggesting do not aspirate. I think its a good practice. Why risk injecting a bunch of hormones and oil into a vien, its not worth it? But its something that im curious about.

CatGrabber is offline Member
    I swear I thought the same thing last week. Why is this the case

musclehead1 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatGrabber
    I swear I thought the same thing last week. Why is this the case
    my bro and i were discussing this same topic when we watched the news and saw the nurses givin flu shots anybody know why???

Htownmalu is offline New Member
    same thing happened to me about a month ago went in for a flu shot and had a pretty long line though, the nurse pretty much jabbed it in and a good amount of blood came out... i guess they more worried about getting through the line than doing it right in the first place

Georgie is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Htownmalu
    same thing happened to me about a month ago went in for a flu shot and had a pretty long line though, the nurse pretty much jabbed it in and a good amount of blood came out... i guess they more worried about getting through the line than doing it right in the first place
    No, i don't think so. I have never seen a doctor do it ever, even in a one on one situation. I wouldn't venture so far as to say aspirating even is "the right way, in the first place."

KGBnine is offline Anabolic Member
    also, they (nurses) like to inject it in like they are racing the nurse next to them. Ouch...too fast!

seanw is offline Banned
    Nope never seen it either. I had a Hep A vaccination the other day and he didnt aspirate either. In fact I offered to do it for him ;-)

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    Ask them. I bet they tell you that they do. Most are trained in school to use their ring finger to very slightly pull back. Usually you cant see it because they are holding the syring with their index, middle, and thumb...but ask them

Secondly, it takes VERY little pressure to aspirate . In fact, if you are in a vein, there will be enough pressure in it to move the plunger out by itself without pulling back at all. So it takes very little.

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    btw...some compounds wouldnt be nessicary to aspirate , such as many water based compounds

"AUSSIEBLOKE" is offline Junior Member
    I will make sure to look for that next time i go to the dr i never thought of it because i always believe they know what they r doing, but i know a nurse who said some dr's hardly know a thing and have 2 get the nurses to tell them what 2 do, quite scary when u r paying top dollar.

righton is offline Senior Member
    I think theres a thread on this somewhere . Kinda goes with what i've said so many times.

spike326 is offline Banned
    people bitch enough about needles and "want it over with asap", so if the doctor/nurse is fondling the needle to get it aspirate position and then aspirate it can cause excess pain and time.

SouthSideSteve is offline New Member
    Im in nursing school and we were taught to always aspirate IM injections. Billy has it right though, aspriation takes very little effort and its even easier/faster for an experienced nurse. I havent done flu shots yet, but I wanna say they arnt necessary to aspirate. Cant remeber if its because of the deltoid site or the make up of the flu shot. But you dont have to aspirate 1-2ccs, just pull the plunger out ever so slightly to check for blood return.

A FYI. The use of the dorsoglutial site for IM injections is no longer taught due to vasculature and sciatic nerve. They teach the ventogluteal site now. If i was sticking myself Id prefer dorsogluteal anyway. ;/

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    so what exactly happens if you inject into a vein?

SouthSideSteve is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IronReload04
    so what exactly happens if you inject into a vein?

depends on what it is, worst case scenario - you die.

Thread Information