UrbanLegend is offline Senior Member

The Anabolic Steroid Act (2004)

NEW YORK (Ticker) - One day after the death of admitted steroid user Ken Caminiti, The Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 2004 has been passed by Congress.

Under the act, steroid precursors and substances such as androstenedione and 19-norandrosterone are added to the list of anabolic steroids classified as Schedule III controlled substances and subsequently banned by Major League Baseball. A steroid precursor produces testosterone when metabolized in the body.

"This important legislation will help us reach our goal of zero tolerance in the battle against steroids ," MLB commissioner Bud Selig said. "With the passing of The Anabolic Steroid Control Act, steroid precursors will be deemed prohibited substances under Major League Baseball's joint drug program."

ADVERTISEMENT
    This legislation enables the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) to regulate these types of products as anabolic steroids under the Controlled Substances Act.

"This will allow us to test for steroid precursors, just as we are currently testing for steroids, as part of our regular testing," Selig said.

A bill to amend the Controlled Substances Act, providing increased penalties for anabolic steroid offenses near sports facilities, was put forth on March 1 and passed by the United States House of Representatives in June.

A growing problem in baseball and other sports, the speculation of steroid use has surfaced in the circles of the most elite major league players, including San Francisco Giants superstar Barry Bonds, Gary Sheffield of the New York Yankees and former major leaguer Mark McGwire, who admitted to using androstenedione in 1998, when he hit 70 home runs.

Caminiti, a 15-year major leaguer who died of an apparent heart attack at the age of 41 on Sunday, had admitted to using steroids during his MVP season in 1996, when he hit .326 with 40 homers and 130 RBI for the San Diego Padres.

Baseball has been under fire since a federal probe into a California nutritional supplement lab resulted in the questioning of a number of prominent players. Bonds' personal weight trainer Greg Anderson was charged with taking part in a steroid distribution ring that provided the substances to professional athletes.

Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative founder Victor Conte, lab vice president James Valente and track coach Remi Korchemny also were charged. All four have pleaded not guilty.

Bonds, Sheffield and Jason Giambi of the Yankees were among those to testify in the investigation.

Major League Baseball made drug testing a key component in the agreement it negotiated with the players in September 2002. The deal called for preliminary anonymous testing in 2003. After between 5-7 percent of the players tested positive, a more stringent, official testing procedure was put in place for this season.
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................

I found a post by Rick Collins which says the following:

"The new law seeks to increase ALL steroid (and prohormone) penalties, not just those near schools. Steroids will remain in Schedule III. However, the new law asks the U.S. Sentencing Commission to review the way steroids are treated under the federal sentencing guidelines. You can expect to see a revision of the guidelines to permit those charged with steroid crimes involving LESSER quantities to get sacked with LONGER prison sentences. Once that happens, you can expect to see a heightened interest on the part of DEA to investigate steroid crimes. The bill is on the President's desk awaiting his signature."

And I, for one, hope he does not sign it.
    Last edited by UrbanLegend; 10-17-2004 at 07:09 PM.

KGBnine is offline Anabolic Member
    This is sad. I dont even use prohormoes but still.

Angelis is offline Banned
    **** am I lucky I live in canada... that reminds me does anyone have a new edition of canadian laws on steroids ...last I heard it was 5 yrs for selling... 10yr for importing... and even more added if near a school or "child zoned areas. ie...park, playground"

If this is hijacking I will be happy to erase it... I just thought it was along the same lines!

LimitsAreNothing is offline Associate Member

The new law seeks to increase ALL steroid (and prohormone) penalties, not just those near schools. Steroids will remain in Schedule III. However, the new law asks the U.S. Sentencing Commission to review the way steroids are treated under the federal sentencing guidelines. You can expect to see a revision of the guidelines to permit those charged with steroid crimes involving LESSER quantities to get sacked with LONGER prison sentences. Once that happens, you can expect to see a heightened interest on the part of DEA to investigate steroid crimes. The bill is on the President's desk awaiting his signature."

And I, for one, hope he does not sign it.

Thats all we need. Stricter regulations on steroids that is already classified with heroin...this is fukin rediculous. I dont care what they test for in sports. IF they want juice to be banned in sports. Fine. But to lock up honest, hardworking, responsible people for recreational steroid use is assenine.
    AAHHAHHHGGGGGG this Pissed off....(not roid rage ) lol

mass junkie is offline banned
    and the black market gains yet even more items to sell

shadowman25 is offline Associate Member
    its a sick twisted country that would jail drug users and house them with murderers and rapists.

vaeltaire is offline Associate Member
    Man that pisses me off so bad I hope he does not sign that. That is just gonna make things worse. I wish they would start cracking down on fuc**ng cigs and other hardcore drugs and just leave AS alone. Cigs kill more people a year that AS. Why would they want to put AS users in jail when there are plenty of other people doing way way wosre things and need to be locked up. ya know. ahhh

UrbanLegend is offline Senior Member
    The U.S doesn't seem to learn very well from history.......they think illegalizing this stuff will suddenly act as enough of a detterant to stop peopel from using anabolics. All of the people who I know use PH's do so simply because they are legal, unlike AAS. Now that this has changed, instead of getting anabolic substances at GNC they'll get it from the big dude who sells it in the gym parking lot. So basically they now have created steroid users out of people that probably wouldn't have ended up crossing that line.........Its not like bodybuilders give up their pursuits because they now need to use illegal items.

Opey is offline Associate Member
    he is going to sign it. during one of the kerry/bush debates, kerry brought up a point that bush is the only president in history that has never veto'd a bill. this one should be his first, but i doubt it will be.

Knightrider is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelis
    **** am I lucky I live in canada... that reminds me does anyone have a new edition of canadian laws on steroids ...last I heard it was 5 yrs for selling... 10yr for importing... and even more added if near a school or "child zoned areas. ie...park, playground"

If this is hijacking I will be happy to erase it... I just thought it was along the same lines!

yea i'd like to see that info too

Thread Information