briansauras is offline Senior Member

do any of you guys take ALA

I heard from some poeple on this board that they take it......How many mg per day and where can you buy it at cost?

Demon Deacon is offline Anabolic Member
    Its in flax seed oil. Its an Essential Fatty Acid. Can be found in fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Deacon
    Its in flax seed oil. Its an Essential Fatty Acid. Can be found in fish.
    I heard somthing like it helps to spike insulen before workouts, and helps with the obsorbtions of creatine...............
    So if I eat a can a tuna a day (5serving size can) am i getting any of this?

i dont think tuna has it.

Jock191 is offline Associate Member
    ALA (Alpha Lipoic Acid) Is NOT in flax seed oil,is NOT a fatty acid and,is NOT found in fish...ALA is an antioxidant, it is a disulfide molecule that contains two thiol groups (sulfur and hydrogen). It is incredibly effective in its ability to help increase the sensitivity of insulin receptors, if your are diabetic .No studies clearly show that ALA would improve glucose metabolism in healthy subjects..Now Demon you may have misread and thought of (CLA conjugated linoleic acid) Which IS a fatty acid fatty acid derived from safflower oil but is found in red meat and cheese, NOT fish..YOU SHOULD NOT GIVE ADVICE IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT, IMO...... Now brew if you you decide to give it a try start with 50-100 mg a day.. Give it a shot you have nothing to lose. Check vitaminworld.com for a price.

Anhydro78 is offline Anabolic Member
    Jock you know for sure that there is no evidence that ALA increases insulin sensitivity in non-diabetic persons.

Here is what I was telling this guy. When ever he takes his supplements creatine, L-glutamine, Protein that he should pop about 200mgs of ALA and take carbs as well with creatine and such. This has made people that I have trained, gain weight when their gains have stoped. This works well for some reason. And for $3 a bottle it cant hurt.

LILLEN is offline Associate Member
    heard that ALA is effective for liver protection.. IS this right?? like milk thistle

Quote Originally Posted by Jock191
    ALA (Alpha Lipoic Acid) YOU SHOULD NOT GIVE ADVICE IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT,
    "Flax seed is 1/3 oil, and the rest of it is made up of fiber, protein, and mucilage. Flax seed oil is a rich source of essential fatty acids - it contains alpha linolenic acid, omega 3 essential fatty acid, and omega 6 essential fatty acid, and flax seed oil contains these 3 EFA's in just the right proportions. Flax seeds are also a great source of lignans, vitamins, and minerals."

NOW WHAT WERE YOU SAYING?
    Last edited by Demon Deacon; 10-19-2004 at 08:52 AM.

"Flax seed is 1/3 oil, and the rest of it is made up of fiber, protein, and mucilage. Flax seed oil is a rich source of essential fatty acids - it contains alpha linolenic acid, omega 3 essential fatty acid, and omega 6 essential fatty acid, and flax seed oil contains these 3 EFA's in just the right proportions. Flax seeds are also a great source of lignans, vitamins, and minerals."

NOW WHAT WERE YOU SAYING?

Flax Seed Oil is a blue flowering plant that is grown on the Western Canadian Prairies for its oil rich seeds. This natural oil (also known as Linseed Oil) is highly recommended for the general well being and whole body nutrition and is considered to be nature's richest source of omega-3 fatty acids that are required for the health of almost all body systems.

Flax Seed Oil contains omega-6 and omega-9 essential fatty acids, B vitamins, potassium, lecithin, magnesium, fiber, protein, and zinc and also provides approximately 50% more omega-3 oils than what you could get from taking fish oil.

Alpha-linolenic acid is an essential fatty acid and the major omega-3 fatty acid found in food. You are right there BUT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT ALHPA LIPOIC ACID. The key word here is LIPOIC Not LINOLENIC.. Thats what I was saying...You really need to pay more attention B4 you just spit stuff out bro. Oh and no tuna doesnt have Alpha-linolenic acid
    Last edited by Jock191; 10-19-2004 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anhydro78
    Jock you know for sure that there is no evidence that ALA increases insulin sensitivity in non-diabetic persons.

Here is what I was telling this guy. When ever he takes his supplements creatine, L-glutamine, Protein that he should pop about 200mgs of ALA and take carbs as well with creatine and such. This has made people that I have trained, gain weight when their gains have stoped. This works well for some reason. And for $3 a bottle it cant hurt.
    I never said that it wouldnt increase insulin sensitivity in non-diabetic persons, I just said that no studies clearly show how effective it is for a non-diabetic persons.. I know it will increase insulin sensitivity in everyone it just works better for a diabetic. As for your doses 200 MG is alittle to much for someone that isnt diabetic. 50-100 mg is all that is needed by a healthy person. Higher doses can cause nausea and upset stomachs, and excessive doses can lead to low blood sugar. 200 mg is usually used To prevent complications of diabetes,For diabetic neuropathy and, For numbness and tingling in limbs due to nerve compression..

Ala will Protect the liver in cases of hepatitis and other types of liver disease. As an antioxidant, alpha-lipoic acid shields the liver from potentially harmful cell changes and assists it in flushing toxins from the body. This makes it useful in treating such liver disorders as chronic hepatitis and cirrhosis. Alpha-lipoic acid supplements have also proved effective in minimizing liver toxicity following exposure to poisons such as heavy metals (including lead) and toxic industrial chemicals such as carbon tetrachloride...

So to answer your questions about it helping the liver like Milk thistle. Yes it will but no it wont. ALA helps better with diseases and such while Milk thistle is just an over all protectant.
    Last edited by Jock191; 10-19-2004 at 09:52 AM.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    I use around 200mg ed or eod. Great as a anti-oxidant some say better than vitamin A ,C & E. Some studies indicate you should not take it if a diabetic due to the enhanced insulin sensitivity. IMO is a good supp along with selenuim too.

G-Force is offline Anabolic Member
    anyone know if it is beneficial to take during an HGH Cycle?

Flax Seed Oil is a blue flowering plant that is grown on the Western Canadian Prairies for its oil rich seeds. This natural oil (also known as Linseed Oil) is highly recommended for the general well being and whole body nutrition and is considered to be nature's richest source of omega-3 fatty acids that are required for the health of almost all body systems.

Flax Seed Oil contains omega-6 and omega-9 essential fatty acids, B vitamins, potassium, lecithin, magnesium, fiber, protein, and zinc and also provides approximately 50% more omega-3 oils than what you could get from taking fish oil.

Alpha-linolenic acid is an essential fatty acid and the major omega-3 fatty acid found in food. You are right there BUT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT ALHPA LIPOIC ACID. The key word here is LIPOIC Not LINOLENIC.. Thats what I was saying...You really need to pay more attention B4 you just spit stuff out bro. Oh and no tuna doesnt have Alpha-linolenic acid
    Bro he never distinguished if he was talking about linolenic or lipoic. ALA can be either one. You assumed he meant lipoic, i assumed he meant linolenic. So before you spit out that i need to pay attention you need to realize that either of us could be right. I know very well that it could have been lipoic

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    I use the raw version of ala.....r-ala..... it helps with keeping insulin levels stable and also is a very good antioxident.

Maraxus is offline Banned
    I run R-ALA with m DNP

Bro he never distinguished if he was talking about linolenic or lipoic. ALA can be either one. You assumed he meant lipoic, i assumed he meant linolenic. So before you spit out that i need to pay attention you need to realize that either of us could be right. I know very well that it could have been lipoic

I wasnt assuming that he ment Lipoic, I knew he ment Lipoic b/c of his comment "I heard somthing like it helps to spike insulen before workouts, and helps with the obsorbtions of creatine......" After reading this is when I commented.

I wasnt assuming that he ment Lipoic, I knew he ment Lipoic b/c of his comment "I heard somthing like it helps to spike insulen before workouts, and helps with the obsorbtions of creatine......" After reading this is when I commented.
    Look at where i commented.

where can I get this $3 bottle, how many mg's are the caps? and your thinking I should take 1g a day?

Allsportsnutrition.com has some cheap prices on their supps. I dont know how much the Ala or the R-Ala is but i would check there.

1G a day is WAYYYYYY TO MUCH number 1.. like I said b4 50-100 MG is what you should take.. Now 1 G is 1000 MG thats about 10-20 times what I told you to take.Very bad idea. unless you wanna lower your blood sugar levels.

1G a day is WAYYYYYY TO MUCH number 1.. like I said b4 50-100 MG is what you should take.. Now 1 G is 1000 MG thats about 10-20 times what I told you to take.Very bad idea. unless you wanna lower your blood sugar levels.
    If you are wanting to do some serious natural growing here is a basic outline.
    First here are gonna be the supplements you need to take on a daily basis
    10 grams creatine 2 teaspoons
    20 grams glutamine 4 teaspoons
    150 grams whey protein
    50 grams Muscle Milk casienate,egg album,BCAA's
    1,000 mgs of Alpha lipoic Acid
    2 Multivitamins

ok, so after reading ur post up there, you suggest 50mg everytime i take creatine(before/after workouts)

BTW, I dunno if it matters, but I only take in 50g of sugar daily.....
    Last edited by brewski053; 10-19-2004 at 02:02 PM.

Pork Chop is offline Member
    I use it with Dbol and low-carbing.

It flushes out your liver and keeps your blood sugar low.

It is available in 600mg caps at Nutrition House.

I use 3 a day.

Anhydro78 is offline Anabolic Member
    Jock and demon decon you both where very helpfull, provided information, and was both right.

Im using about a gram a day of ALA but Im also only taking it with 50g+ carbs. Besides when I take it with my protein shakes. I probally dont hit the whole 1,000 mg mark most days but im taking at least 3 times a day. I use this stuff alot.

Jock and demon decon you both where very helpfull, provided information, and was both right.

Im using about a gram a day of ALA but Im also only taking it with 50g+ carbs. Besides when I take it with my protein shakes. I probally dont hit the whole 1,000 mg mark most days but im taking at least 3 times a day. I use this stuff alot.
    where are u buying that $3 bottle?

Thread Information