Thread: Gyno Surgery

mastablasta7 is offline Associate Member

Gyno Surgery

Alright i got gyno about 6 months ago from my last cycle. The gyno is mainly in my left nipple and is about the size of a marble. Honestly its not that noticable for its size but it still makes my nipple stick out quite a bit. I tried letro, aromasin and nolvadex . I actually took the nolvadex for two months during my pct which cleared it up a bit but not completely. Anyways i'm considering gyno surgery and want to know a couple things.

1) How safe it is?
    2) Does insurance cover it?
    3) How long does it take to heal?
    4) Can it come back?

jkn399 is offline Junior Member
    what was your cycle?

funkymonk is offline Associate Member
    1) You should feel comfortable going under the knife with any licensed cosmetic surgeon. For peace of mind, be sure to ask for before/after pics of his/her prior patients, and Google the hell out of the surgeon. I'd also get multiple quotes/opinions before accepting one.

2) 99% of the time no--it typically falls under cosmetic surgery. Unless it's causing you debilitating pain, and your general practitioner writes your insurance a letter, you get a mammogram, and jump through another hoop or two, there's really no chance.

3) I've seen people say 3 weeks and others say 8-10 weeks. It depends on how your surgeon does the procedure, and your individual experience.

4) I believe if they take out the gland, then no.

xelnaga is offline Banned
    I have had 2 gyno surgeries. One at 14 another at 26. I had the second one covered by blue cross blue shield. It def. can come back. No reputable surgeon will remove 100 percent of the gland. It leaves the patient deformed.

My first surgeon left way too much, hence the second surgery later in life.

Lemonada8 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    have you tried tore or rolax? they are better for gyno than nolva is.

its safe, but make sure u go to a surgeon that does gyno surgery regularly, a bad gyno surgery can really look bad and be more noticable than gyno itself.

and^^ you had gyno surgery at 14? wow, usually they make kids wait to let the natural hormones balance out. Its very common during puberty... and ur right, they will leave a bit of tissue in the breast so you dont have the sunken in look ( way more noticable than gyno)

At 14 my gyno had been stable for 3 years. No change at all. The doctor told me if its been there for that length of time there was no chance that it would magically disapear.

mastablasta7 is offline Associate Member
    I actually did have a mammogram done because it feels like it has got a little worse and is still a little painful to touch. I can easily get my practitioner to write a letter to the insurance company so i'm just hoping it will be covered.

I needed the following to get insurance to cover:

1. Blood work showing hormones are typical
    2. letter from primary stating that i am in good health and not on any medication that would cause gyno
    3. ultrasound showing actual breast tissue ( not just fat)
    4. letter from plastic surgeon stating that i am in pain from the condition

The plastic surgeon bundles all the above information and sends it as one unit to the insurance company. Any surgeon that uses a letter only method is not experienced in getting insurance companies to cover the procedure. The object is to put the insurance company in a position where they are legally required to cover your condition.
    Last edited by xelnaga; 10-12-2011 at 11:56 AM. Reason: adding info

In addition if you mention steroids , use of drugs, or mental anguish expect to be declined.

Honkey_Kong is offline Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    I think you should shop around and have appointments with several plastic surgeons. They could better answer your questions and give you the best advice. A lot of them have staff that are good at figuring out how to get your insurance company to pay for as much of it as possible. But the only way to know is to talk to them. All we can do is speculate.

iforged05 is offline Junior Member
    I'm sorry this has happened. I hope it is not a painful procedure, and you find the right surgeon for you

Thread Information