Dr.Evil is offline Retired Moderator

A Study on ROID RAGE

Physical provocation potentiates aggression in male rats receiving anabolic androgenic steroids .

McGinnis MY, Lumia AR, Breuer ME, Possidente B.

Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York, 10029

Anabolic androgenic steroids (AAS) have been linked to indiscriminant and unprovoked aggression and violence. We employed a brief tail pinch to examine the effects of different AAS on intermale aggression in gonadally intact male rats in response to a mild physical provocation. Animals received 5 mg/kg testosterone propionate (TP), nandrolone (ND), or stanozolol (ST) 5 days/week. Controls received vehicle injections. After 12 weeks, rats were tested for aggression while treatments continued. Animals were paired with either gonadally intact or castrated opponents and were tested in the subject rat's home cage, the opponents's home cage, and a neutral cage. Aggression was tested during tail pinch of the subject rat and during tail pinch of the opponent rat. In TP-treated males, tail pinch significantly enhanced aggression in all social and environmental conditions compared to intact controls. TP treatment also significantly enhanced aggression when the opponents were tail pinched. Tail pinch did not increase aggression in ND-treated males, and aggression was significantly lower than controls in ST-treated males. As expected, cell nuclear androgen receptor binding was significantly elevated by the high dose of TP. Our results show that while AAS alone does not induce the indiscriminate and unprovoked aggression characteristic of 'roid rage , TP heightens the animals sensitivity to external stimuli and lowers the threshold for aggression and dominance in response to provocation. copyright2002 Elsevier Science (USA).

Dr.Evil is offline Retired Moderator
    yeah, i just thought it was funny how they pinch rat tales to assess rage

timvds is offline Member
    if some guy in a white coat and gloves pinched MY ass id be pissed off too. lol, even when not on the sauce

flex321 is offline Member
    TIM is that your avatar? whys your back look purple?

Kaz
    Kaz is offline Member
    Originally posted by timvds
    if some guy in a white coat and gloves pinched MY ass id be pissed off too. lol, even when not on the sauce

timvds is offline Member
    whys my back look purple? damn flourescent lighting. lol
    Last edited by timvds; 03-13-2002 at 03:40 PM.

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    Nice post Dr Evil but if you pinch any animals tail I,m pretty sure it would bite you back whether on roids or not.Why do they waste time and money doing half assed experiments that bear no relevance?

Worth a laugh thinking of them pinch rats asses in order to get them to bite LOL

BE_STRONG is offline Senior Member
    nice post evil, but you just wait till the doc checks the rats prostrate!

Thread Information