gixxer is offline Associate Member

My bud stroked out @ 28

A bro i work with just lost feeling in his left side,asked for help then couldnt speak mumbled half his face went paralized.When medics took his blood pressure it was 200 over something thats all i heard.He never would say what he was on,but all i can say is always keep a eye on the old blood pressure!!!
    Now i hope he can come out of it.

mista_liar is offline Associate Member
    DAM! Was he safe or ignorant you think?

gixxer is offline Associate Member
    He was real secret about it,but always had the moon face.I alway watch my bp.My bet A-50s to long and not enough wisdom,just a guess....

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Sorry to hear about your bud bro....

I can only ask the AR-bros that don't get blood work, BP, and other tests done before, during, and after cycles, to start

Sorry Again

~Nark

Jay Man is offline Associate Member
    Sorry to hear that. That's way too young for that too happen. Some of us play with fire and stress our bodies out. It is imparative to get your BP checked regularly and your blood as much as your insurance will allow. Be safe!

Peanut Butter is offline Associate Member
    That sucks bad. I hope he recovers. I couldn't imagine that happening at that age.

Latino~Heat is offline Junior Member
    how much does blood work cost?
    what would one recommend checking for blood work? or even what kinds of tests should one do?

still in the learning process...never really looked into this side of AAS

meat is offline Associate Member
    i also have a high school buddy who stroked in his 20s, some pretty horrifying stuff ...that along with heart ,back and knee problems are amoung my worst fears.

Ntpadude is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Latino~Heat
    how much does blood work cost?
    what would one recommend checking for blood work? or even what kinds of tests should one do?

still in the learning process...never really looked into this side of AAS
    I've seen where some hospitals have a screening place in the "mall" and you can get blood/urine labs done for like $50... we are talking about simple sugar/protein/cholesterol, blood count and those type things, not hormone percentages, etc.

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    Thanks for sharing man.. sorry to hear about your bro that really does suck.

Alot of us take the seriousness of this game for granted.

seanw is offline Banned
    Bad news bro that sucks. I cant stress enough how important it is to make sure your blood pressure is in check. I have mentioned this in other threads as well. I went to the doc the other day and my bp was up from 113/50 to 145/70. I sh!t my pants. Fortunately I had my last shot of deca the week before and its is now down to 120/60. I have bought an automatic blood pressure testing machine which cost me $50 bucks, its the same one the doc uses. On my next cycle I will be monitoring this very closely, its not worth your life to mess with this. Everyone on the gear should get there BP checked regularly !!!!!!!!!!!

almostgone is offline AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by seanw
    Bad news bro that sucks. I cant stress enough how important it is to make sure your blood pressure is in check. I have mentioned this in other threads as well. I went to the doc the other day and my bp was up from 113/50 to 145/70. I sh!t my pants. Fortunately I had my last shot of deca the week before and its is now down to 120/60. I have bought an automatic blood pressure testing machine which cost me $50 bucks, its the same one the doc uses. On my next cycle I will be monitoring this very closely, its not worth your life to mess with this. Everyone on the gear should get there BP checked regularly !!!!!!!!!!!
    Absolutely!!!!!.....and it's not a bad idea to monitor your blood glucose levels, even if your not on insulin ......My body tends to throw out more insulin on cycle, so I have to really watch my glucose levels....Gixxer, best wishes for your friend's complete recovery.....

larry3436 is offline Associate Member
    I dint monitor **** my first cycle . But you guys are right im gonna get somthing to test BP . When you buy the tester does it give you the norms? What is goof BP and what is high......?

Do yous test anything else on your own?

Ntpadude is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by larry3436
    I dint monitor **** my first cycle . But you guys are right im gonna get somthing to test BP . When you buy the tester does it give you the norms? What is goof BP and what is high......?

You can have your wife do it too... they use the ear thing because you record the pressure when she hears the first heart beat and then the lowest pressure when you hear the last heart beat I think is how it works. You have to watch both numbers.... I think the big number should be under 130 generally and the little number should be under 90 if I am not mistaken... some people get all kind of mismatch between the big and little #'s and also sometimes the person taking pressure goofs and didnt hear a beat correctly. Also one thing too is almost everyone gets a little nervous at the doctor's office so its not unusual to read a couple points high there and lower at home.

Also if you think you goofed taking pressure, wait almost an hour because the cuff on your arm actually can influence your blood pressure and a second test will show you artificially high as a result.
    Last edited by Ntpadude; 11-06-2004 at 10:07 AM.

GrantC5 is offline Associate Member
    For some of the members on here make sure they use a large cuff on your arm. Mine was reading high when the nursed did it a couple of times because she used the standard size cuff on my arm which felt like it was cutting it in half. The doctor came in and rechecked it with a large cuff and it was fine. Squeezing the hell out of a 19" arm can apparently make your blood pressure seem a lot higher.

MedicWill is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by larry3436

Norm BP for an average person is 120/80. 140+ is high, 60- is low.

Quote Originally Posted by Ntpadude
    ... they use the ear thing because you record the pressure when she hears the first heart beat and then the lowest pressure when you hear the last heart beat I think is how it works.

Also if you think you goofed taking pressure, wait almost an hour because the cuff on your arm actually can influence your blood pressure and a second test will show you artificially high as a result.
    Almost. You are actually only measuring a single beat and its pressure. When you put on the cuff if stops the blood flow over that vessel. Pumping up the cuff will make that happen. If you are using a stethescope start realeasing the air pressure from the cuff and listen for the first thump you hear. Thats your top number, here being the "Y" ( ex. Y / X). Now for the second number keep listening untill you cant hear the "thump" anymore, thats your bottom number "X" ( X / Y ).

The first number X represents the amount of pressure your heart is pushing blood DURING its contraction. The Y represents the amount of pressure when the heart is not contracting. Like I said above average is 120/80.

You dont need to wait an hour to redo the test. Just let the arm rest for a minute and try agian.

Hope that helps.

Oh, one more thing.

I got an electric BP monitor for like 25 bucks. Save ALOT of time and is accurate. Also tells your heat rate and we use them at work all the time.

bigrthanu is offline Associate Member
    Remeber to take Blodd Press. readings a couple times or more a day as well and take the average of the results. BP can vary throughout the day so one high reading may be because of other stress related things. Sorry about your friend, its sad but it is a lesson for the rest of us.

seanw is offline Banned
    Bro's the BP machine I bought is fully automatic. You put the cuff on your left arm always, it even tells you which end is the shoulder and which is th elbow. Then you just press a button and it does the rest. You dont have to listen to anything. It then tells you your BP and your pulse rate. There is documentation in the box which tells you what the World Health Organization norms and highs are for BP. The brand is OMRON by the way.

Sorry to hear about your friend bro, I haven't been checking my BP but I am gonna start, they have the free BP tester thing at walmarts EVERYWHERE so just go in and get it checked, hell thats where i get my needles from anyway =), I wish my gym had a nice BP machine, i mean hell as much as we all have to pay a month we should. Tell your friend best of luck for me, and i hope he recovers fully soon =)

Alex

seanw is offline Banned
    Be carefull of the Walmart machines, I have read posts from guys who have used them and there BP is through the roof and when the get it checked by the Doc it is normal. Overuse of the machines I think

almostgone is offline AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Be carefull of the Walmart machines, I have read posts from guys who have used them and there BP is through the roof and when the get it checked by the Doc it is normal. Overuse of the machines I think
    ...and the one-size-fits-all cuff will give bum readings depending on your arm size.....

AustrianOAK14 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicWill
    Oh, one more thing.

I got an electric BP monitor for like 25 bucks. Save ALOT of time and is accurate. Also tells your heat rate and we use them at work all the time.

where did you get it so cheap at? im interested in getting one

ichabodcrane is offline Associate Member
    This is why I always stress keeping BP under control at any cost. Don't be afraid to go on antihypertensive meds during your cycle if you need to. Especially for those who cycle the majority of the year. If it only runs high when you cycle, but you cycle more than half the year, that is greater than half the year you are increasing your risk of CV disaster. The best thing you can do is be aware!!

Quote Originally Posted by AustrianOAK14
    where did you get it so cheap at? im interested in getting one
    Place called Fry's electronics.

Thread Information