TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Cool TNT Makes the Ultimate Research Sacrifice for A.R.

There's never a bad time to learn something new, and I realized a few weeks ago that one area in which I was not that knowledgable was the subject of hernias. (In fact, in one recent thread, bravo11p provided an answer that was far more detailed than anything I could have come up with.)

So I decided to make the ultimate research sacrifice . . . by getting a hernia. Well, not really for research, but it sounds like a great excuse now.

Seriously, I felt a pain in my lower abdominal area about a week ago, pressed on the area and felt a small lump, and said to myself, "Oh, shit. I bet that's a hernia." A quick trip to the doctor and it was confirmed - a left inguinal hernia.

Anyway, no big whoop. I decided to do a crash course in herniology (I think that's an original term, but it's one that makes sense) - even did an A.R. search, and found bravo11p's great post from a few weeks ago. Went to the usual medical web sites (the reliable ones, not the ones that have things to sell) and learned more than I ever thought I would have to know about the wonderful, wacky world of hernias.

Anyway, fellow roidites (and naturalites, too), I immediately took myself out of commission. No major pain, but why risk it? Fortunately, here in the States, we have no major wait for non-emergency surgery, so I'm getting it patched up next week. In the meantime, as you can imagine, the biggest drag comes from not hitting the gym. (I probably could, but since I"m having the surgery done almost so soon after diagnosis, why risk any complications?)

I iknow I won't be lifting for at least a couple of weeks, and then doing only very light weights. (I have no illusions about bouncing back into it immediately, and intend to play it very carefully. As with AS use or recovery from any other injury or illness, intelligent indulgence is the watchphrase here. So my game plan is light-to-moderate cardio about two weeks after the surgery, followed by very light upper-body lifting that doesn't require leg support (as in, no bench pressing), and easing back into a heavier routine as I'm ready.

No big reports about it here, but suffice to say that the next time a hernia or abdominal pain question comes up, I hope to be as literate about the subject as bravo11p.

Anyway, think about me Monday afternoon (3/11). I want to feel the vibes from everyone here as I'm on the table, while the surgeon is getting precariously close to the family jewels . . .

And do me a favor . . . Since I'll probably be home Monday evening, back on the computer with insomnia once the sedation wears off, don't write any really whacked-out posts. I don't want to laugh too hard.*

* Shit, I probably shouldn't have written that. It's almost like setting up a challenge for a few folks around here who come to mind.

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    I think it should be renamed as blow my own trumpet...J/K

ALways on top of things..............I will give you a kiss TNT

PTbyJason is offline Retired Admin
    TNT, I understand bro. Mid-January I almost suffered a hernia. I had a twinge that was constant for about 2 weeks to the right side about 2 inches below my waist. I laid off of the weight training and any type of cardio that involved the hip flexors the most. Started doing some cardio when I felt comfortable. I am finally lifting now, but still not totally able to push myself on my leg training the way I use to, which sucks because my legs are shrinking. But I am getting better. I avoided the doctor visit because I was switching jobs at the time and had a small gap where I had no insurance. (yeah I know, things always happen at that time) But I was fortunate not to have a lump. I think I am dangerously close to having a hernia, I am just being cautious right now.

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    Sorry to hear you'll be missing the gym. I guess I won't post my pics on 3/11. WE wouldn't want you to laugh too hard

iron4life79 is offline Retired Moderator
    hey tnt,
    i too am sorry your missing the gym work along with other aspects of your life im sure. have em patch you up and heal fast brother-good luck.

peace bb79

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Q; What do you call a chinese man with a hernia ?.

A; Won-hung-Lo

Bouncer

4plates is offline Banned
    dont worry bro youll be fine and the gym isnt going anywhere
    did you are you going to let the dr know about the gear use?
    i know you have more knowlege than i do but i would be concerned about the anistsia(spell check) and the gear

primodonna is offline Female Member

Re: TNT Makes the Ultimate Research Sacrifice for A.R.

Originally posted by TNT
    I want to feel the vibes from everyone here as I'm on the table, while the surgeon is getting precariously close to the family jewels . . .
    Hope you have a cute surgeon and you have the super-primo vibe coming to you on 3/11...

Hope everything turns out okay
    What happens here, stays here

Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    TNT my friend, best of luck with the surgery and recovery brother ! You'll be back in form in no time my man. !

<----- is sending a guardian to you for your recovery

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    Good luck with the recovery, and no worries, all will go perfect as usual!!! Less time at the gym, means more time for you on AR!!!

Whiteyebrowe is offline Associate Member
    what caused your hernia
    i know that doing abs the day before deadlifts are
    a good way to get one but i doubt thats the
    cause of yours. i had one when i was a kid and recovered fast
    and i didnt train. but i always felt like i had hernia like symptoms
    thats why i love AS theres nothing worse than a swinging sack

Lil D is offline Junior Member
    Hey TNT
    I hope everything goes ok....your in all of our thoughts....

Lil D

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    TNT, here's some advice for you before you get your surgery:

I had a hernia a few years ago--actually back before I started lifitng.

I was out of the country when it happened and I didn't have a doctor I trusted so I shopped around for doctors. What I found out was all hernia surgery is NOT created equal. Different doctors prefer different techniques and the different techniques have big implications on how fast you heal, scar size and how durable the 'repair job' is!

I had two techniques recommended.

The first involved making just a couple small holes in the skin (three if I recall correctly) and the instruments were inserted beneath the skin, disolvable stitches were sewn to close ther hernia and a couple more to close the hole. The up side to this was that the recover time was very fast and the scarring was minimal. The down side was that it wasn't as durable--the hernia could recur.

The second option (which was the one I opted for ) was a bit more invasive--they cut me open (about 4-5" incision) and sewed up the hernia with stainless steel wiring. It took me a while to recover and I do have a scar (It's in the "hairy lower regions" and not too visible--if you get my drift). The benefit is that it should never happen again in the same spot. (My doctor told me that if I ever gotranother hernia it would be anywhere but there.) The down side to this technique is that it hurts quite a bit for a few days and takes longer to recover.

Both techniques can be done on an out-patient basis--drop in in the morning and take a taxi home in the afternoon.
    Here's my take on recovery with the second option:

The first day (after the drugs wore off) it hurt like a son-of-a-bitch. I did took a taxi home and almost clubbed the taxi driver for cornering to fast.
    For the next 3-4 days I was pretty much confined to bed all day, with a short (10 minute) walk mandated to prevent things for healing too tightly. After a week I was going for long (like 5 mile) walk and only had a little pain and stiffness. Against doctors ofers I went on a 20 mile trek up a volcano after only 12 days.

Even though the second option might put you out of training for a good 6-8 weeks, I would opt for it anyway. I am glad I did. Never had any problems with the hernia recurring and the pain is only a memory.

PS: When the nurse tells you that you have to shave before surgery, they ain't putting a razor to your face! Be ready for a lot of itchin' and scrachin' in your nether regions as it grows back.

TNT

Cool Miscellaneous Replies . . .

Thanks for the well wishes, y'all. It's three days to "the cut," and I've done enough research at this point that I'm actually cool with it.

Bexsome, kiss accepted (depending on where you're kissing). But believe me, bro, if I could "blow my own trumpet," I'd never leave home.

4plates, the answer is yes - I was right up front with the doc. No sweat. I guess this is a good time to say that I recommend always being up front with your doctor about gear use - it can have an impact on your overall health, honesty makes the diagnostic process much easier for a lot of conditions, and sometimes eliminates the need for unnecessary testing or procedures. If you don't have the type of doctor you can be honest with, it's time to find a new doctor.

And thanks for your comment about the anesthesia and gear. Got it covered, but it always helps to get feedback like yours. We'll probably be doing a simple local (xylocaine) combined with sedation. The anesthesiologist was cool, and said that the most important thing is to cut out any aspirin or related products (like Motrin) five days before the procedure. [Okay, campers, quick quiz: Why? Because aspirin is a blood thinner, as are many similar products.]

Primo, I appreciate the vibe. I guess that some people would say that I have a cute surgeon . . . but he's not my type.

Whiteyebrown, no telling what caused it. Hernia repair is the most common type of surgery for guys. Most guys who have hernias have had them for a while, maybe even since childhood; it's not something that simply pops up overnight. Heavy lifting can aggravate them, but it generally doesn't cause them. So it's probably something that developed over the long haul. Mine may have been aggravated by moving a friend's sofa bed a couple of weeks ago - it's funny, you can lift or press hundreds of pounds at a gym, but that's structured, disciplined lifting (if you're doing it right). It's the everyday stuff that can zonk you out. (In fact, most people who throw their backs out do so when they are not lifting something heavy. Sometimes, both with backs and hernias, it can be caused by just moving the wrong way, coughing or sneezing too hard, etc.) In fact, when you say that you have had hernia-like symptoms, chances are that you may have a hernia - again, they're more common than you think. At some point, it may aggravate to the point that you need surgery, or it may not. Best bet - life is a beach, so don't sweat it.

Ajax - great post. I can imagine what it would be like to have that happen when you're out of your own country, let alone your own home town. Here in the States, there are about half-a-dozen common procedures, all of which are very different. There are another half-dozen that are not as common, but they're still done.

The first surgery you mentioned is the laparoscopic approach: minimally invasive (small incisions) but it has to be done under general anesthesia. It does have a higher recurrance rate, which is why it's not recommended too much these days for hernias (although many surgeons still do it).

The second approach you mentioned is the Shouldice method (also called the Canadian method) - get in, find the hold in the muscle, and sew it up. You're right - it has a longer recovery, and has been largely given up in favor of the more "tension-free" aproaches that use a plug, patch, or other form of surgical mesh that bonds with the surrounding muscles.

(See what I mean? I didn't know squat about this stuff a week ago. But when something hits that close to the family jewels, you improve your learning curve real fast. )

Oh, as far as the shaving (for any hernia novices, we're talking about pubic hair here), I won't have to do that myself. (I don't know if I could - I'd probably be laughing my ass off.) The surgeon will do that himself at the beginning of the procedure (he said that it chafes the skin less). He also said that he doesnot shave all the hair off, which has me thinking that I'll have the equivalent of half a moustache until it grows back.

(Reminds me of an old joke . . . What's the best way to get rid of crab lice? Shave half your pubic hair, set the other half on fire, then stab the crabs with a fork when they come running out.)

Anyway, thanks again to everyone for the good thoughts. And you're right, Terinox - I'll have lots of time on my hands for a couple of weeks. So much for my excuse for skipping some posts . . .
    Last edited by TNT; 03-08-2002 at 10:00 AM.

XBiker is offline Retired Vet
    Good luck, TNT. I hope all goes well for you.

BTW, I must add that you often have the longest, most drawn out posts on this board. But, your eloquence in the english (American) language never ceases to amaze me and your knowledge is great.

You get my vote for poster (child?) of the year.

Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    Originally posted by XBiker
    Good luck, TNT. I hope all goes well for you.

BTW, I must add that you often have the longest, most drawn out posts on this board. But, your eloquence in the english (American) language never ceases to amaze me and your knowledge is great.

You get my vote for poster (child?) of the year.
    I 2nd that.....

TNT is the best

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    Good luck bro and just think it could be much worse it could be a Heitus hernia(spelling?) now that would have you laid up for weeks.

The crab part of your post.......LMFAO

Best wishes bro hope you make a speedy recovery

senor_gato is offline Junior Member
    Good luck bro, I do hope you get a nice nurse.

TNT
    Originally posted by BigGunz
    Sorry I didn't post sooner. Between computer problems and the job (not to mention personal issues) I've been kinda busy.
    No sweat, BG, and thanks for the feedback. I caught your excellent post in the thread by senor_gato and have responded to that already.

For anyone who's curious, I updated my own thing in that thread. Suffice to say here that I had the surgery three days ago, and no problems. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, but . . . Wait a second. Actually, I would wish it on my worst enemy.

Thread Information