kaorialfred is offline Member

what to do when diets don't work?

I was talking to someone at work, they are about to get that gastic bypass deal. I for one don't think that one should do that. I hear it hear all the time "diet and cardio but what do you use or do when all else has failed. I mean after 6 months of diets and sweating it out I feal for the person. Yet I really can't be that judgemental and accuse them of cheating on their diet. I can't suggest anything to them its out of my scope of pratice. Yet what have you guys heard or have first hand knowledge in the battle of the bulge?

And yes we have read enough diet and cardio/calorie/ glycemic/ metabolic tables/ answers they are all over this site. I want to hear from someone who is considering this type of surgery or why would you suggest someone not get the surgery done.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    One would have to investigate why diet and cardio didn't 'work' for said individual

Gastric bypass is a last ditch effort for the terminally obese

cb25 is offline Banned
    Gastric bypass *should* be a last ditch effort...an absolute last resort. But too many people are willing to get it as their first effort nowadays. I've heard many many stories of people actually trying to *gain* weight, just so they meet the weight requirements to have the surgery and have it covered by insurances. It's terrible.

In some cases, gastric bypass is a good, viable option...but it really should be the last thing considered. There are very significant risks associated with both the procedure, as well as the long-term health/survival of an individual.

I have a hard time rationalizing things like "diet and cardio don't work" because i was an overweight kid...so i started working out and dieting, and i was able to lose weight. Granted, some of it was because i was young (that helped) but i busted my ass. It wasn't fun, i struggled with it...but too many people give up so quickly or fail miserably because they can't stay away from the McDonalds all day!

You said you wanted to hear from people who have had or are considering the surgery, and i don't know that many people that have had that done would be on AR. Do a search, as i understand it there are gastric bypass support boards, websites, etc that will give you a lot of very frank opinions, pros/cons, etc. That should give you a start.

I may not be in a position to consider it, but i have studied it plenty in my schooling (both undergrad for nutriton, and professional schooling).

Dimes is offline Senior Member
    I think most people do not do enough, they want an easy way out and for that i am against it!

KGBnine is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimes
    I think most people do not do enough, they want an easy way out and for that i am against it!
    Yeah, I've known people who gain wieght purposely to qualify for it.I think more people should work on their discipline and use the surgery as a last resort solution.

kaorialfred is offline Member
    thanks for the input fellas.

I just don't understand the surgery as an option. Just kinda weird cutting ya up like that.

peace.

Dimes is offline Senior Member
    I will say that their are cases of people weighting 600-800 pounds and in these cases I kind of agree, its an option, cuz its hard for them to keep a diet.. their are depressed and they vcant exercise, but most cases these people can walk, can exercise, can diet, just choose not to.

Thread Information