Drummerboy is offline Anabolic Member

Cortisone shot for joint pain?

Has anyone recieved a cortisone shot to relieve joint pain? I was wondering if anyone has info on the long term effects of multiple treatments... I will research the topic and add to this thread later... thnx for the input if ya got some...

don
    don is offline New Member
    I got one in both my wrists about 3 years ago. It worked good, I've had no pain since.

hmm that sounds pretty good...

bump for more ppls experience

GirlyGirl is offline Female Member
    My experience with cortisone was not good. Sorry. I had shots in both knees-the shots hurt like a bitch going in and didn't help a bit. I know it works better for some people than others-it seems to be a body chemistry thing and you don't know 'till you try!

CRUISECONTROL is offline Post Whore Extraordinaire Cruising On Autopilot
    I've had cortizone shots in my shoulder and too many to count in my wrists and my left knee a quite a few times

It's not a cure for whats causing the pain however it does get rid of the pain

Be carefull cause you can further injure the area if you overwork it cause you don't feel the pain

Why are you wanting them and what is causing the pain and have you seen a doc about it?

dazbo is offline Senior Member
    I have had 2 injections of cortisone in my shoulder. the first was at the back right inside, the rotator cuff. I had the pain for around a year and it didnt go even with rest, until i had the injection. It pretty much cleared it up completely. Until recently, but Ill explain as I go on.

then a couple of months back, I had one in my AC joint ligament. same shoulder. this was a diff type of cortisone, the type they use on footballers etc. It has a local anisthetic in it. Didnt hurt a bit when it went in but the next few days were quite sore. It seemed to fix it instantly and I gradually built my workouts back up. Anyway, I am now in a worse position than I started with!!

I dont think its from the cortisone, I think its more from overdoing it too quickly. then I started to feel it comin back, then it got worse and has recently stopped me working out! Also, because my form is now cocked up when I do train because of this, I think it is bringing back the original rotator cuff problem!! Shit eh!!

from what Ive read, the cortisone is an anti-inflammatory. It will take away the swelling and can cure the problem. A lot of the time, the problem is due to the swelling being sore from a minor injury that wont go away with out the anti inflammatory. So, thats where it helps it. You cant have too many within a few month. I tried to get another one but the doc wouldnt give it to me cos it was too soon.

Also, from what I researched, they dont cause any long term damage or weaknesses providing you dont get them all the time and often

hope this helps

ducatibob is offline Junior Member

Depends on the problem

I've had three cortisone shots in my shoulders. The results were only temporary though. I just got out of surgery yesterday for my right shoulder (had the left done two years ago). Cortisone is a very powerful anti-inflammatory that is designed to work in the joint it is injected into.
    If your joint pain is directly related to inflammation then the cortisone should help.
    The problem is, just like dazbo, if you don't find out what caused the actual problem you’re most likely to have the inflammation return.

In my case the clavicle bone "hooks" impinging the shoulder joint. Without removal of some of the bone to open up the joint, certain motions/actions will continue to irritate the joint and the swelling returns.

BOSTONBEATDOWNS is offline Associate Member
    i have also had shots in the knee's and i fell that im worse of than i was before hand. but hey my knee's dont look swollen anymore for the mean time. good luck...

forsz is offline Associate Member
    To add to the good responses by ducatibob, dazbo, and cruisecontrol........ Iv had many injuries ( never from training) . Typically the shots R anesthetic mixed with cortisone ( or similar ). Docs R reluctant to give many/frequent shots bec THEY WILL CAUSE TISSUE DEGENERATION. I got months of relief from each shot in my shoulders. Very short-term relief elsewhere. In all cases, tho, there was def underlying injury (not just swelling syndrom ) ;l so the problems ultimately led to surgery.

dazbo is offline Senior Member
    ducatibod - how long did it take u to recover from the operation ?? Its just I think thats the way Im going to end up going!!

ducatibob is offline Junior Member

Depends

I'm lucky, in both the left and know the right I didn't tear any tendons. They simply grind the bone down. It's usually three weeks until PT starts but because there’s no real soft tissue damage I'm good to hit it in just a few weeks and back to 100% in 4-5 weeks. They said if I had torn some of the tendons that they originally expected then it would be 4 weeks in a sling and 6 weeks of PT. I worked with a guy who had multiple tears repaired, including getting one reattached to the bone with 2 small screws. He didn't seem that bad before he went in but he's been in PT for 9 weeks and they told him it maybe a full year before he gets full range of motion. He's also 42 years old.
    It really depends on your diagnosis and surgeon.
    Good luck.

forsz is offline Associate Member
    I'v had both shoulders done ( very roughly at the age of 40) bec of rot cuff tears with bone spurs. Takes 6 months to recover 100%

juicy_brucy is offline Ripped, not bulky
    don't do it. Waste of time and who wants cortizone in their system anyways.

v-twin is offline Associate Member
    had one in my shoulder about three months ago,worked for awhile but still have a sh*t load of pain when doing my work outs. I'd say a waste of time IMO

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    ...I've gotten 1 in the hip, both elbows have been injected, and 1 in the knee....They'll relieve the pain and seem to speed the healing process, BUT....you have to give the injured area an appropiate amount of time to heal...Also, if there's a significant amount of swelling, ice seemed to help ........
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Thread Information