100%NATURAL-theGH is offline Senior Member

Exclamation L-arginine Heart Attack?

Alright... now a heart attack is a little far fetched but I began taking L-arginine this morning.. took 2 grams this morning with breakfast and everything was ok the first few hours but starting this afternoon I began having chest pains... They aren't horrible but they are there and they are only on the left side right where my heart is... I took NO2 before and I got similar chest pains... I have been told this increases blood flow.... which makes your heart work harder... is it possible that the L-arginine could actually cause heart damage? I am not going to take it anymore as it is not worth the risk anyways... but I wondered if anyone else has had similar problems.... Appreciate any comments.

AnabolicAlien Guest

hmmm...

very interesting... seriously.

i'll look into this for you tomorrow bro. i know other vasodilators can be dangerous if you have heart problems.

A.A.

thanks a lot bro.... The chest pains continued durring my work-out. I'm sure they will be gone tommorow but o well... thats a waste of my 2 new bottles of L-arginine.... it's not worth dying for when I can use everything else...

powerlifter is offline Anabolic Member
    might have to build up to effect on the arginine - just a thought - some people have a more pronounced reaction to certain chemicals then others - try it at 500mg - see if you have any difficulties

Alexander the Graet is offline Associate Member
    go see a cardiologyst instead of asking here a simple 3 lead EKG can tell if u r having heart problems!

Ntpadude is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 100%NATURAL-theGH
    Alright... now a heart attack is a little far fetched but I began taking L-arginine this morning.. took 2 grams this morning with breakfast and everything was ok the first few hours but starting this afternoon I began having chest pains... They aren't horrible but they are there and they are only on the left side right where my heart is... I took NO2 before and I got similar chest pains... I have been told this increases blood flow.... which makes your heart work harder... is it possible that the L-arginine could actually cause heart damage? I am not going to take it anymore as it is not worth the risk anyways... but I wondered if anyone else has had similar problems.... Appreciate any comments.
    I had pains in the same area... does it feel cramp like? Well this is what happened with me... I have a hiatal hernia... its right behind the heart where your esophagus meets the stomach. The muscle that clamps down on the stomach acids and keeps it from regurgitating up gets cramps in it or pains from a hernia here and it hurts like hell sometimes. Women get these during child birth, men get these doing crunches and ab exercises, get the picture? Things like Chocolate, arginine, etc can cause increase acid reflux in this condition and often instead of getting a heart burn type feeling, you get a cramp or heart attack like feeling. Pepcid AC, tums, are drugs that can help a lot, but for me I found Nexium is a very powerful drug and makes the cramps go away for a long time.

Only way to tell for sure if you have a hiatal hernia (AKA acid reflux desease) is to get a barium swallow X-ray. But if you find taking plenty of pepcid AC's and Tums while doing your arginine do the trick just fine then maybe this is what you have. I have this condition confirmed by a barium swallow X-ray, but I NEVER have had a heart burn problem. This is because 50% of the cases the main simptom IS heart burn, but the other 50% of the cases, you get cramps that resemble or feel like a heart attack.
    Last edited by Ntpadude; 11-23-2004 at 12:03 PM.

GrantC5 is offline Associate Member
    Why would you take 2 grams of L-arginine??? I would think 500mg would be more than enough. More isn't always better.................

dude... most of these guys that are using it are taking 3 and 4 grams 3 times a day... I was going the lowest I saw which was 2g in the morning 3 before my workout and 2g before bed.... I am just gonna stay away from it... and yes I think that I have acid reflux for several other reasons so maybe this makes sense... but man it pisses me off... I started taking Prilosec OTC a few days ago and I'm gonna see if that helps out... and if it does I will see my doc and get on Nexium.

Thread Information