Thread: Advice

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member

Advice

Post-Whores...Ignore this thread...Real Advice needed

A friend/training partner of mine has just suffered a major blow to his overall well-being

An avid Biker, he was out riding.A car cut accross his path...sending him flying for a couple feet.He landed on the knee cap of one leg...completely shattering it.The doctors tried to insert screws surgically to hold it... but the cap was too shattered; There was nothing to grip.They had to remove 20% of his knee-cap and insert something prosthetic and hardwired it.He is undergoing anti-biotic and NSAID therapy.

Is there anything else that he can add to recover quicker?

It hurts my heart to see him out like this.Couple weeks ago we were competing against each other in the gym..500 pound squat..500 pound deadlifts.To go from this to zilch..

Advice?

I know time is the biggest factor..recovery taking time..but is there anything else he can throw in the mix?

~Nark

Ejuicer is offline Anabolic Member
    Like you said there isnt much that will really help but time and physio... I've gone through something quite similiar myself... it was an extremely slow process but I eventually built myself back up to where I was before the accident and eventually surpassed it. Best of luck to your buddy.

tycin is offline Anabolic Member
    ya bro i dont think there is much else he can do, sucks i know but time is the best thing. physio and maybe some light exercises with onr of those therapeutic elastic bands.

hope he gets better soon! that sounds painful.

bigguy20 is offline Associate Member
    i agree with everyone else man, time is his best bet, last year i hurt my back at work and about a month later i went to the gym to do some squats, i thought i was fine to go heavy and then i hurt my back again, theres no point in rushing it itll just get your buddy back to square one, like tycin said maybe some light upper body workouts to help keep the muscles stimulated but other than that no heavy squats and deadlifts, or for that matter no lower body working out, only the stuff that the physio therapist suggests.
    good luck to your buddy and give him some good support.

Brazilian_load is offline New Member
    Doctors will know best. By the point he advances in the recovery , he may be prescribed some winstol as there is literature supporting it as improving the synthesis of connective tissue and tendons. Altough the problem will also affect integrity of the bone itself.Again , all you can do is make sure he goes to the best reconstructive surgery staff and he will be fine. There have been pretty awesome recoveries in cases such as this.

Also make sure his diet will be rich in magnesium, contrary to popular belief calcium by itself wont aid bone soldature.I suppose he is under medication to assist bone formation already, but making sure he eats plenty of dark leafed vegetables is crucial. Magnesium is essential for oestheoblastic activity and also large calcium intake can affect it's uptake. Make sure he keeps away of whole grains as they contain phytates (phytic acid), on their hull that binds to either calcium or magnesium, turning into unabsorbable salts.Needless to say regular and frequent psychological support will help in a faster recovery.
    Last edited by Brazilian_load; 12-01-2004 at 01:50 PM.

Brazilian_load

that's what i was looking for

Do you have any literature in this regard?(thanks to the other guys for replies)

Didn't want to advise him on my own..need some ideas to research

Thread Information