9000rpm is offline Member

Supplement for restoring serotonin levels?

I'm not really sure if this should go in this forum, but this forum has the most views.

Do any of you know if there is a supplement that will restore your normal serotonin levels in your brain? I think the reason is obvious. I'm feeling kinda foggy right now.
    Last edited by 9000rpm; 01-02-2005 at 01:06 AM.

5-HTP will aid greatly in that....

I had many (many!) studies on restoring seratonin levels saved in my old computer (got a new one for XMAS), due to certain hobbies of mine...but I don't have them anymore...

Suffice to say, 5-HTP was one of the best.

Thanks Hooker, you are always a good source of info. I knew since I probably shouldn't drink during New Years, I could do "something else" that has little side effects other than that foggy feeling for a few days after. I'll have to pick some of that up.

thanks

Bryan2 is offline Supplement Guru
    you need more then the reccomended dosing scheme for it and make sure to dose 3 times daily

look into rhodiola at 1-2gram incriments

or the very best out is synthetic serotonin which is called serotab main marketing is weightloss and sleepaid.

You guys sound as if you may have had past experience with this problem? It's not a common thing with me though, I just want to make that clear. I don't want to come across as one of those stupid high school kids that do that stuff like every weekend and can't figure out why their memory and emotions have gone to $hit. But also, the reports that the U.S. government released saying that the deterioriated serotonin levels were irreversible is complete BS. There has been a newer study by Merck showing irrefutable evidence that the US Government study was HIGHLY flawed and completely false. They reported that even after years of MDMA abuse, that the average adult's serotonin levels will return to normal within 3 to 4 months.

I guess it's just another US scare tactic like when they would say that weed caused hysteria and made you kill people. the only thing it ever made me kill as a kid was a couple of foot long subs.

c5529 is offline Member
    mma is right. there are quite a few drugs that increase serotonin including 5 HPT (which I've heard is quite good). another option is not to actually increase the serotonin, but to inhibit the uptake of the serotonin you've got. this can be accomplished with Sertonin Re-uptake inhibitors (i.e, SSRI's such as Celexa, prozac, etc).

What you will take depends on your own particular issues and causes of your problems....I may get flamed for this, but personally, when making decisions about something as complicated and sensitive as neurological biochemistry I'd want to discuss this with a dr as all of these drugs do have significant side effects..... additionally, when serontonin levels are off or fluctuate the result can be major depression......just my 2 cents....good luck Bro.

Quote Originally Posted by c5529
    mma is right. there are quite a few drugs that increase serotonin including 5 HPT (which I've heard is quite good). another option is not to actually increase the serotonin, but to inhibit the uptake of the serotonin you've got. this can be accomplished with Sertonin Re-uptake inhibitors (i.e, SSRI's such as Celexa, prozac, etc).

What you will take depends on your own particular issues and causes of your problems....I may get flamed for this, but personally, when making decisions about something as complicated and sensitive as neurological biochemistry I'd want to discuss this with a dr as all of these drugs do have significant side effects..... additionally, when serontonin levels are off or fluctuate the result can be major depression......just my 2 cents....good luck Bro.
    It's not something I do often. I have only done it a handfull of times in my life. And the couple of days of foggieness afterwards aren't bad or anything, especially for the effects you get within the first 6 hours or so. It really just feels like a very mild hangover and you don't really want to do anything. It makes you want to just chill at home in front of the tv. I just didn't know if there was any type of store bought supplement that will restore levels to normal much quicker than the natural way of just waiting a few days. Now if a person has a genetic tendancy of depression in their family, you should NOT take anything like that that releases such a large amount of serotonin all at once.

But I've got to go to the vitamin Shoppe today, so I'll have to pick up some of the 5-HPT and take it for a few days.

Thanks for all the help guys.

c5529 is offline Member
    good luck. let us know how everything works out.

Jtt23 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan2
    you need more then the reccomended dosing scheme for it and make sure to dose 3 times daily

look into rhodiola at 1-2gram incriments

or the very best out is synthetic serotonin which is called serotab main marketing is weightloss and sleepaid.

Serotonin as a sleep aid?? That would be counter perductive. If you take melatonin thats aids in sleep, and because they vary inversly in the brain, serotonin would keep you up. ( I could be wrong about this so someone can correct me if I am wrong, im just using logic)

Another good SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) that is OTC is St. John's Wort. It is a very MILD SSRI but I have found that it works well.

Dbol is also a very good "well-being" steroid . Keeps me in a good mood.

Livn*Pumpd is offline Junior Member
    It is a sleeping aid. There have been some sleepless nights where 5H helped me through

Quote Originally Posted by Jtt23
    Serotonin as a sleep aid?? That would be counter perductive. If you take melatonin thats aids in sleep, and because they vary inversly in the brain, serotonin would keep you up. ( I could be wrong about this so someone can correct me if I am wrong, im just using logic)

Bryan2 is offline Supplement Guru
    9000rpm trust me man the effects of that **** just get worse and worse with every time you take it Ive done it 10 times and never again man. Im reading a book on ecstasy right now its called ecstacy the complete guide and its very comprehensive.

They state that although no permanent long term brain damage occurs with occasional ecstacy use its still dangerous other then the initial damage but does cause decrease in brain concentration of the neurotransmitter sertonin 5-ht and its metabolite lowered levels of 5-hiaa enzyme responsible for synthesis of serotonin in the serotonin nerve cell. Fewer serotonin reuptake transporters.

However from the studies that they have in the book based on patient proceedings it shows after the 3-4 week mark after injestion of MDMA that most of these are almost back on track except with the damage to the serotonin axons which is permanent. So although it does change the brain chemistry for good it is not too far of of a non exstacy users.

But from my experience I would greatly suggest you to never touch that crap again man be smart it hasnt gotten to you that bad yet so I suggest you stop before it does!!! Everyone I know that was a user has had it happen to them as well!!!

FRANk THe TANk is offline Associate Member
    for about 2-3 years i popped anywhere from 1-6 pills a night, 3 or 4 nights a week. looking back now i see how disgusting that really is. but hwat can i say i was a dumb kid with basically unlimited access to ecstacy, and plenbty of time to kill. i have to say, that i feel fine now, i dont know if i did any permanant damage, and i can only pray that down the line, nothing turns up because of it. i havent touched a pill since new years 2002, and i NEVER will again. theres a point with that sh!t where your poppin five or six hits just to get a feeling from them at all, and its never as good as it used to be. to anyone thinking of trying it, my recommedation to you is dont bother, theres alot better ways to waste your money. (AND YOUR BRAIN CELLS)

Quote Originally Posted by FRANk THe TANk
    for about 2-3 years i popped anywhere from 1-6 pills a night, 3 or 4 nights a week. looking back now i see how disgusting that really is. but hwat can i say i was a dumb kid with basically unlimited access to ecstacy, and plenbty of time to kill. i have to say, that i feel fine now, i dont know if i did any permanant damage, and i can only pray that down the line, nothing turns up because of it. i havent touched a pill since new years 2002, and i NEVER will again. theres a point with that sh!t where your poppin five or six hits just to get a feeling from them at all, and its never as good as it used to be. to anyone thinking of trying it, my recommedation to you is dont bother, theres alot better ways to waste your money. (AND YOUR BRAIN CELLS)
    **** man, that is a huge dose! I am 26 years old, and I have done it 3 times in my whole life, and everytime, I only did one, and one only. The stuff my buddy gave me last night is probably the strongest thing I have ever had. The first time I ever did it was at 18, then at 21, then again on New Years. So I am a VERY mild user. I really don't see myself doing it again for a long time.

As for the 5-HTP, I picked some up at the store today. It also has St. John's Wort in it. I took a 50mg dose with lunch, then another 50mg dose with dinner after I worked out. I can already tell that my brain is less fuzzy. I'll probably take two more 50mg doses tomorrow, then one more 50mg dose on Wednesday depending on how I feel. Then I'll discontinue use.

The biggest day after side effect I have ever had is the fact that I can't respond very well to others. Like when you normally carry on a conversation, you are into the conversation with your whole brain. Well, mine just seems like it wont pay complete attention and also my emotions are GREATLY dulled the day after.

Thanks for the concern guys, but I promise you, I am not that type of person. Your guy's concern shows how much people on this forum look out for one another.

I think very open minded about occasional use of the less harmfull stuff like that when my friends do it, so I don't hassle them. I'd stop them if I thought they might harm themselves. I had one friend that bought some chrystal meth and was going to try it for the first time, I phucking went off on him. That is some dirty, nasty $hit that can turn any respectible person into total trash. I told him not to come around me if he was on that crap.

But they know how dedicated I am to the gym and to fitness, so they don't hassle me about it either.
    Last edited by 9000rpm; 01-02-2005 at 08:22 PM.

inevitable is offline Member
    is it bad to take 5-htp on a regular basis?

angelxterminator is offline Senior Member
    LMFAO @ this thread...

hooker gave you some good advice there....follow it...

lay off the MA's

jgg1221 is offline Member
    try drinking some orange juice....

lol im serious

vitamin c helps keep seratonin levels up

1morerep is offline Associate Member
    RE Inevitable: is it bad to take 5htp on a regular basis?

YES,and i quote "only use 5htp one to two times a week, at the maximum, to keep serotonin levels from rising too high. it converts very quickly to serotonin and has the risk of dramatically elevating blood levels of serotonin. too much serotonin continually in the bloodstream can damage heart valves. use one 50 mg capsule of 5htp, open the capsule and dissolve the powder under your tongue for two minutes."
    my source comes from "the food connection" by sam graci pg.50

STAYHUNGRY is offline Associate Member
    I would personally recommend short term therapy with an SSRI such as Prozac. These have a long half life, with Prozac's actually being several weeks, thus you can slowly and effectively control a rise in serotonin and won't crash when coming off as it naturally tapers itself. Serotonin does help sleep and is a calming neurotransmitter, this is why it is prescribed for anxiety and panic attacks as well as depression. Generally dopamine is an excitatory neurotransmitter, as cocaine rapidly increases dopamine across the blood brain barrier. All SSRI's increase serotonin, just pick one. Realize though that you won't produce more serotonin, what SSRI'S do is that they slow the reuptake of serotonin between nerve cells so more serotonin builds up in your brain over time. This is why they are called a Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor.

turbolag87 is offline Associate Member
    Back in the days I was doing 30 pills a week for about 4 yrs straight and let me tell you it did effect my life in some ways. For the first 6 months I was ok, but after that things started to go downhill. Depression hit me SO hard that I was suicidel SP? ( but i kept on taking them) I then started Taken Pure MDAM and it was MUCH better then taking pills as I found pills made me come down so hard and my hangovers would last for Days. Fast forward to today and one of the sideeffects that I still feel is Short term memory loss. Now Recently i starte taking 100mg of 5htp about 45min before going to bed and let me tell you it has helped me SO much with my MOOD and memory. Before Things would make me depressed very quickly such as Money issues and stress. Now it doesnt for some reason, I just face my problems now and deal with them. Also another thing that I think has helped me in the "memory" dept is "GREENS" from GNC. I take it every morning and it really works. Now and then I still take MDMA ( I cap it 100mg) on special ocassions ( NY being the last time) and it does not effect me the way it used to (coming down wise, hangovers). Of course When i pop the mdma cap, I also pop 2g of vit C and 100mg of 5htp and it does wonders no comedowns and no hangovers. Overall I must say that the abuse from all the years has made me a different man and I'm glad that I dont abuse this stuff like i used to. If anyone has experianced the Party life... trust me its ME.

Lexapro

mma_badboy is offline Junior Member
    st johns worts are meant to be a natural remedy to increase serotonin levels

Thread Information