Thread: Torn Labrum

DoubleL is offline Junior Member

Torn Labrum

Forgive me if there is another board that is more appropriate for this post, but I figured there is the most traffic here to answer my question. I found out today that I have a torn labrum. I play college football. I did it the last regular season game and played thru the playoffs with it. Had an MRI after the year and just found out today. I haven't sat down with the doctor yet. I'm kinda worried about surgery cuz I'll be a senior next year. Does anyone have any experience with this injury? How serious is it? Sorry if this is the wrong place for the post but I'm in a panic. I see the doctor tomorrow to discuss options. I thought it was just a dislocation, but I guess not.

BigJames is offline Senior Member
    Dude...I do not even know what a labrum is off the top of my head...

JohnnyB is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    I'm recovering from that surgery now. It depends on how serious the tear is, I know one guy that tore it again during PT and had 2 surgeries. I been out of the gym for 4 months. I'm back now but very light weights, cause I'm still recovering. You may need to red shirt next season.

JohnnyB

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Listen to JB here as he has the experience. Baseball players get the torn/tear labrum in their shoulders and always require some surgery. Full recovery is not garanteed. So you need to fully rest it as the labrum is a shock absorber (cartiledge) in the socket area. Gets tears from throwing overhand so I am assumming was definately caused by your sport. Red Sox ace Pedro M had it and he still has issues evan tho he just signed with the Mets. Also get a second opinion about recovery protocol as if you are not healed right the 1st time you run the risk is permanent damage..
    Last edited by bluethunder; 12-28-2004 at 08:02 AM.

lookingforquality is offline New Member
    arthro surgery was easy, it is the not being able to move your shoulder for a few months that sucks and when you start training again you will be as weak as a newborn ( I had this done last year)

Well, the orthopod and I decided not to have the surgery. I'm gonna do intense PT and then ease into lifting. I have a SLAP II tear. Meaning the labrum is torn off of the bone but not torn completely thru. I have a high percentage of another dislocation, but I only have one more season left so ya. I've already played a game with it so I think I'll be able to manage. The biggest hurdle I'll have is trusting it in my mind. That game already played helps out. What I wanna ask is will any juice help out with helping it somewhat heal up? I know nothing will completely fix it, but is there anything that will help hold it together better for a season of football? I get tested but not during the offseason. Any advice would be appreciated.

peump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleL
    Well, the orthopod and I decided not to have the surgery. I'm gonna do intense PT and then ease into lifting. I have a SLAP II tear. Meaning the labrum is torn off of the bone but not torn completely thru. I have a high percentage of another dislocation, but I only have one more season left so ya. I've already played a game with it so I think I'll be able to manage. The biggest hurdle I'll have is trusting it in my mind. That game already played helps out. What I wanna ask is will any juice help out with helping it somewhat heal up? I know nothing will completely fix it, but is there anything that will help hold it together better for a season of football? I get tested but not during the offseason. Any advice would be appreciated.

juice would be a bad idea IMO. you are going to need that shoulder alot longer than just next season. i think a natural healing process would have a more long term effect than trying to juice it better.JMO
    ask your doctor

My orthopod said odds are any damage I do to my shoulder during the season can be fixed in surgery. And yes I will be having the surgery after i'm done playing. If he's misguided me then let me know, but if i can't do any more permanent damage to the injury, would running any test or anything be of any sort of a benefactor to the stability of my shoulder? Keep in mind that I get tested, so that rules out a few drug profiles. Let me know, boys.

Jack87 is offline Retired Vet
    I have two very good friends that have had that same injury...
    One had surgery done and has recovered to about 70-80% of
    where he use to be about 6-8 months now after the operation...
    The other has no plans on having surgery, because he never took
    lifting all that serious anyway and doesn't want to go thru the it...

Any info as to why this Adequan isn't approved for humans yet? Or is it that new? I mean I'll push the limit to get better, but I'm not a horse. How will I react to this stuff? Right now I'm looking at "TKE Joint Boost With MSM". Here's the contents.....

Glucosamine Sulfate
    Chondroitin Sulfate
    Shark Cartilage
    MSM

My labral tear is off of the bone too. The actual "ring" the labrum forms is still intact. Its torn off the bone in two spots at about 12 and 3. If these promote collegen synthesis will it help with connecting it to the bone? Thanks for all the info so far guys. It's greatly appreciated. If anyone else has had this injury please give me some feedback too. I'd rather hear case by case basis than what my Doc has to tell me.

roabs is offline New Member
    i would get the surgery i have a slap tear in my left now and i had one in my right one from baseball .. recovery on my right one month before i could really move it then intense pt does not mean anything you can only go so fast. it prob took me 6 months before i was lifting somewhat decent weight and then i cycled which imo helped me get back to some form .. i used deca and test .. but i would redshirt and take the year if you have intensions of playing higher get the surgery you wont have the power in your shoulders for tackling and i dont know what pos you play but i would highly recommend getting it done dislocations can become a pain in the ass to the point where it happens alot

I'm going to be done with school next fall meaning I would be waiting around just to play a year of football. I've decided against the surgery. The doc is on the same page because of all the factors involved. 6 months would be too much of a setback as far as training goes. That would give me 2 months to get back into game shape and that's going from a state of not doing anything with my shoulder/upper body for 6 months. I'm gonna go with it. I got my fingers crossed. This is why i'm willing to do almost anything and explore all options. I got one more year of ball. I thought about AFL/CFL but this kind of dashed those plans. I'll be out with a degree with a double major and minor. I wanna start my life rather than wait around an entire year to play. Plus from what i've gathered not everyone comes back from the surgery anyways. So it's a possibility i'd be right back in the same boat once i started lifting. It's a sh*tty situation overall. Lose lose.

Thread Information