JdFlex is offline Senior Member

Too much water can kill

There's a post here about how drinking too much water can kill you. It cited examples about some guys in the army who died from drinking too much water. I've searched for it and can't find it. Anyone have the link?

ChefJ is offline Senior Member
    Don't have the link but it is possible. Too much water can mess with the way messages are sent in the body causing heart failure and the brain to send some weird signals.

Hed
    Hed is offline Senior Member
    It CAN happen, but its like one of those .00000000001% chance things that there have been like 5 cases in the history of man, so its talked about.

Sorta like the news hypes things up, this is the same way.

Keep drinking.

Be Real is offline Banned
    Its not a .000000000001% chance if you drink too much. Its pretty much a given. There was a case in the news few months back of a initiation ceremony at a fraternity where the guy had to drink like 3 or 4 gallons of water and he tried and died. I think how it works is through osmosis. The salt balance blah blah blah get disrupted but basically what happens is the water tries to get to a place of higher pressure and basically comes out through all your cells which damages all the cells in yoru body and kills you becuase all your cells just exploded. Here is an articles on the incident which also explain how its caused in better terms than I just did.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Southwest...ity.pledge.ap/

This articles refers to the same incident as well as another incident in 2001 involving a 18 year old male also in a frat incident.

http://www.legalpr.com/12-9-03Greg_Westfall_DMN.html

Pulmonary edema is also caused by drinking too much water and here is a good article with syptoms of it as well as what to do to treat it.

http://www.healthsquare.com/mc/fgmc0409.htm

I dont know exactly how much it would take to damage you but i'm sure you would have to have people beating you with paddles and humiliation before you drank anything close to what it takes to kill you. These people probably drank what you drink in a day before they even had to go pee the first time.
    Last edited by Be Real; 01-04-2005 at 12:01 PM.

HeavyHitter is offline Anabolic Member
    sorry boys... until i see some facts, sounds pretty dumb to me. (unless your forced to drink to much water, like in the movie Seven, and your stomache lining rips open; or the water was bad with like man-eating killer worms or something....)

Hed
    Quote Originally Posted by Be Real
    Its not a .000000000001% chance if you drink too much. Its pretty much a given. There was a case in the news few months back of a initiation ceremony at a fraternity where the guy had to drink like 3 or 4 gallons of water and he tried and died. I think how it works is through osmosis. The salt balance blah blah blah get disrupted but basically what happens is the water tries to get to a place of higher pressure and basically comes out through all your cells which damages all the cells in yoru body and kills you becuase all your cells just exploded. Here is an articles on the incident which also explain how its caused in better terms than I just did.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Southwest...ity.pledge.ap/

Pulmonary edema is also caused by drinking too much water and here is a good article with syptoms of it as well as what to do to treat it.

http://www.healthsquare.com/mc/fgmc0409.htm
    Maybe if your body is prone to it, but other than that, its bull****. For my fraternity a long time ago, when i pledged, i had to do the same type of thing, and i drank like 4 gallons of water in like a half hour. I puked constantly, yes, but i had no side effects from it at all. Its friggin water, you get to a point where i just goes down and comes right back up.

Tose22 is offline Associate Member
    its' poisoness to your body if you consume too much water in such a short amount of time, this problem seems to show up with people who takes X and consume large amounts

rixyroids is offline Associate Member
    its called water intoxication, it will only happen though if you drink way too much water in a very very short period of time. if you drink too much water, blood plasma increases and dilutes the salt content of the blood. While this is happening, you are also losing salt by sweating (if exercising it will be faster as opposed to sitting ding piss all!). Consequently, the amount of salt available to the body tissues decreases, and, over time, the loss interferes with brain, heart, and muscle function.

just if your drinkn like 10 litres a day split it down so you only drink like 1 litre every hour or so, just dont rush it!
    Last edited by rixyroids; 01-04-2005 at 12:07 PM. Reason: mistake

ManzNumero1 is offline Member
    here we have 21 theories of h2o intoxication

Hed
    Im just tellin you straight up, i did about 4 gallons in a half hour, and i was friggin fine.

insanepump621 is offline Member
    yo man if your cycling your suppossed to drink like 2+ gallons of water a day how is that possible... plus wtf now you guys got me all nervous lol

Jackman is offline Banned
    I thought when you drink to much water you go into somthing called a hyrdo coma.

rixyroids is offline Associate Member
    yeah like 2 gallons a day is fne, as long as you spread it all or most of it out over the period of when you are awake.

dont drink 2 gallons in the hours between lunch and your evening meal, thats silly, but mite even be ok.

just spread it out, drink as soon as you get up, and keep going through the day, you split it up, say your awake 12 hours, and you drink 2 gallons per day, thats only 1 gallon every 6 hours, so split that down to a value to drink per hour, and its not a lot if you spread it out over the hour!

thing is youl piss like a champion, but youl get used to it eventually!

DEVLDOG is offline Retired VET
    i supose too much of anything can kill you

what you're talking about is hypohydration and basically what happens in your electrolytes become unbalanced and totally **** with your blood volume levels and ph... then cardiac drift becomes even greater causing irregular heart rates, but it is not likely that with the amount of sweating that hard core athletes, or service men are doing are replacing there h2o stores so much faster than you are depleting them. but it is possible.

The Baron is offline Fourth Koala of the Apocalypse
    Hyoooge amounts of water taken in an extremely short time are gonna wierd up your electrolyte levels. A couple of quarts at a sitting are not gonna hurt you a bit. A couple gallons over the course of a day are not gonna hurt you a bit. Just be aware that if you are flushing out all your body's salts then you need to be replacing them. If your sweat does not taste salty, you got a serious problem, but an easily solved one. Just have a salty snack.

You can kill yourself with too much of just about ANYTHING if you deliberately go crazy with it. Oxygen is toxic! Water, as has been discussed. I don't see the point... it is all about not being a total moron, really. Frat initiations are usually all about extreme moronism and should be supervised by a non-moron.

Your Body Will Know When Enough Is Enough......ill Drink As Much Water As I Can.......in The Meantime

Quote Originally Posted by The Baron
    Hyoooge amounts of water taken in an extremely short time are gonna wierd up your electrolyte levels. A couple of quarts at a sitting are not gonna hurt you a bit. A couple gallons over the course of a day are not gonna hurt you a bit. Just be aware that if you are flushing out all your body's salts then you need to be replacing them. If your sweat does not taste salty, you got a serious problem, but an easily solved one. Just have a salty snack.

You can kill yourself with too much of just about ANYTHING if you deliberately go crazy with it. Oxygen is toxic! Water, as has been discussed. I don't see the point... it is all about not being a total moron, really. Frat initiations are usually all about extreme moronism and should be supervised by a non-moron.
    I AGREE

Be Real is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedzilla
    Im just tellin you straight up, i did about 4 gallons in a half hour, and i was friggin fine.

Maybe if your body is prone to it, but other than that, its bull****. For my fraternity a long time ago, when i pledged, i had to do the same type of thing, and i drank like 4 gallons of water in like a half hour. I puked constantly, yes, but i had no side effects from it at all. Its friggin water, you get to a point where i just goes down and comes right back up.
    It CAN happen, but its like one of those .00000000001% chance things that there have been like 5 cases in the history of man, so its talked about.
    Bro like you said if youre prone to it then it might happen. I dont see why you are trying to make this bro drink 4 gallons in half an hour. Thats pretty irresponsible of you to post that it causes nothing when news articles show people have died from much less in such a short period of time. If it works for you fine but dont try to tell trivialize this issue to the bro that had the intial quesiton as obviously there are highly dangerous risks to overhydrating yourself in such a short period of time.

ace ventura is offline Member
    I've been told that most people that die from XTC die because they drink too much water and not from the drug itself..

Jeff01 is offline Junior Member

Angry

[QUOTE=Be Real]Its not a .000000000001% chance if you drink too much. Its pretty much a given. There was a case in the news few months back of a initiation ceremony at a fraternity where the guy had to drink like 3 or 4 gallons of water and he tried and died.

My god thats like taking a whole bottle of Asprin for a headache
    kinda Domb

GrantC5 is offline Associate Member
    kinda Domb[I] Quote

Kind of Dumb???? Really F-ing dumb......."errrrr hey maayaaan you gotsta drink 4 gallons of water or your not in the derrrrrr ffraternity errrr ok" After that you have to uhhhh drink a baby botttle of errr battery acid uhhh huh uh huh.. LMFAO How stupid can you be?? What a great education that moron will have when he's dead.......

Quote Originally Posted by GrantC5
    kinda Domb[I] Quote

Kind of Dumb???? Really F-ing dumb......."errrrr hey maayaaan you gotsta drink 4 gallons of water or your not in the derrrrrr ffraternity errrr ok" After that you have to uhhhh drink a baby botttle of errr battery acid uhhh huh uh huh.. LMFAO How stupid can you be?? What a great education that moron will have when he's dead.......
    LOL...... THEN SOMEDAY IF WE ARE LUCKY WE WILL HAVE KIDS

billy_ba is offline Associate Member
    I heard drinking too much water causes an electrolyte imbalance that can cause your body to lose its ability to send electrochemical signals. This would cause the nervous system to shut down and can be fatal.

Hed
    Quote Originally Posted by Be Real
    Bro like you said if youre prone to it then it might happen. I dont see why you are trying to make this bro drink 4 gallons in half an hour. Thats pretty irresponsible of you to post that it causes nothing when news articles show people have died from much less in such a short period of time. If it works for you fine but dont try to tell trivialize this issue to the bro that had the intial quesiton as obviously there are highly dangerous risks to overhydrating yourself in such a short period of time.

Dude, im not condoning this practice at all. Its called real world experience. I was letting people know that yes, you can drink a ton of water in a short period of time and not die. Am i saying "hey, go do it, its fun!" NO! Yes, you could die, and yes, looking back on this, it was a stupid thing to do, but its behind me now. Im not doing it again, and wouldnt suggest for anyone else to.

Drinking too much water can also cause the body to flush out precious minerals. Again, what is too much????? 80 oz's a day is what a "normal" person should consume. Take it from there.

PurePower is offline Senior Member
    I think that is one thing that im not too worried about overdoing.

Thread Information