100%NATURAL-theGH is offline Senior Member

Torn Muscle Group Under the Ribs?

Hey guys... I have been nursing a little injury I got a week ago... I was doing heavy leg press and i started feeling a little pain under my left side of my ribs... i have had pain here before and it was always worse when i lifted hard... so i took it easy for a few months and lifted lighter... it quit hurting after a while... but sure enough I started pushing a little and it became extremely inflamed. I wrap a kidney belt around it and it helps keep it down but this is obviously a muscle tear and it must be a weak spot because I have been dealing with it for about 8 months off and on... what can i do to heal this???? I am planning on doing a 6 month cycle of GH at 4IU daily... would this heal this up? Can I expect permanent results from it? Someone help me out... thanks guys.

c5529 is offline Member
    I've had the exact same thing and mine occurred during leg presses as well....I'm afraid you need to treat it like any other injury and work around it....Mine took about 3 months to heal completely (I had to stop presses, squats, etc, I also had trouble working back with the injury). I'm back to leg presses now, but still go pretty light......It's essentially a compression injury -- when you bring your legs down during presses (or similar exercises) your muscles in the intercostal and rib areas compress and have nowhere to go but "out" -- yours ended up "going out" too far and probably tore....
    I think GH would help, but I'm not expert on GH......you may want to PM some of the GH experts and see what they say.....

Good luck -- trust me the injury will go away, but it's very uncomfortable for awhile....

speedtraining is offline Senior Member
    Me too and its cause my legs were pushing into my ribs cause I was coming down so low... I think you may of brusied or cracked a rib in my case I only bruised...

phwSSJ is offline Banned
    First and foremost LET IT HEAL completely, Eliminate any workout that hurts even if it doesnt hurt with low weights, if you want to get rid of the problem. Dont give your hopes up for GH to work like majic, it might speed recovery but it is worthless if you dont heal right.

Once you feel 100% which should be at least two weeks after all pain goes away, Work on making that area stronger befor you go back to that normal workout routine. That might be why you keep getting reinjured.
    This might mean that you will loose gains in other areas but you can always get those back. Before you start your workout warmup and stretch for at least half an hour. And stretch in between and after your workout. Towards the end of your healing if you can pinpoint the exact area where you feel pain, inject some b12 into it. It will rehydrate the muscle, that is indeed if you have a muscle injurey not bone or soft tissue.

One common cause of that injury is incorrect breathing. Always keep your abs tight. Breath in when you go down and out when you go up or exert. Incorrect breathing can also cause a hernia in those types of excersises. Do not jolt or make irregular movements. (I am sure you know these but just in case.)
    Make sure you are stretched and hydrated, If you are taking any cutting gear or supps that might be what caused it too those things are hard on your body no matter how much water you drink.

Good Luck!

Wow guys... this was a very informative thread... i really appreciate what everyone had to add as it really gives me some insight.. I really am going to have to strengthen that area when I get back... what do you guys recommend... as far as GH goes... i want to use it anyways for everything and I'm just hoping that it will really help with fat loss and repairing my shoulders... if it heals that muscle tear its just another benefit... is it possible that I could have a rib out of place? If it is will it go back on its own or will it heal where it is and be a problem for the rest of my life? Thanks guys.

powerlifter is offline Anabolic Member
    Bro let it heal - rest it and stretch it - ice and some NSAIDS it will never heal completely if you don't let it

man... i get sick and injured so much it is killing my gains... I grew faster NATURALLY and that is ridiculous... i might just give it all up and go back to my creatine... (ok so i won't but man this pisses me off!)

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Lots of good posts here ^^^

I get that pain sometimes from bringing the cambered bar back to the floor after sets of Cambered Triceps Extensions... sometimes I slip and hit it hard on the ribs and bruise them a bit... notice it the next day after it starts swellin'... but it goes away after a few days...

I have busted a lot of blood vessels in the traps (looks like stretch marks, 'cept they disappear in a few days) doing leg presses but never anything in the ribs... might be related to your body's posture and structure...

Also, I wouldn't atempt any major gear use until you are healed and 100 percent ready for some intense training - don't try and use GH as a cure for this, IMHO... heal first... and the best approach is always preventative versus symptomatic... look into what caused the injury (like you are) and do your best to adjust your training so it less least likely to ever happen again... using a symptomatic aproach to weight training injuries can lead to a severly abused body...

thanks... i think i need to decrease the incline on the leg press seat so I am not sitting so straight up. This decreases how much I can lift as I am forced to hold myself into the seat more... but like you said... preventative over symptomatic.. I just hate to wait... O well I will hit the gym tonight with some real light weight and see what that does for me.... also anyone who ever has this problem try strapping a kidney belt around it really tight... decreased the wounds mobility so it hurt less and i believe will help heal it faster.. Thanks again.

phwSSJ is offline Banned
    Dude dont be stubborn! Lay off the fking leg press completely. If you did something to your ribs you would have felt it! You should know the difference between a muscle tear and poppin a rib if not go see a doctor.
    Also unless you are doing a full contact sport then there is no reason why you should be getting injured so often (so as you stated). You might need to revaluate your workout methods!
    The problem with taking gear is that your muscles grow fast but your ligaments and tendons dont so it is easy to get hurt if all you do is try to do heavy weight workouts. Thats why I always incorperate at least a set of 100 reps for every muscle group to get the soft tissue stronger.

killu2night is offline New Member
    HEY THIS MIGHT HELP I had this happen several times when I first started training. For me it happened the same way and sounds the same as your problem. the connective tissue and cartalige that is in between and around your ribcage tears mine felt like a broken rib I went to the E R and got x rayed and of course no break and the doctor had no solution or cure.. I go to a chiropractor and Bam I have done this 3 times the first time They used muscle stim and heat cured in 2 weeks the second time I went to a different chiro he used ultrasound BAM cured instantly no pain and back to using the muscles. The third time ultrasound BAM cured instantly. THE BEST THING you can do is go to a chiropractor hope fully you have insurance tell them exactley what happened tell them you want ultrasound and dont let them feed you any of there religious crap or extra services You may want to get your spine adjusted and probably a x ray to see if your pelvis is tilted ie one leg longer than the other no biggie they can adjust that out Also getting you spine adjusted regularly will increase you leg strength like crazy just ask ARNOLD or better yet FRANCO COLUMBO.... Any other questions pm me Oh ya you can put a kidney belt on or a wrap but it really didnt do much for me

thanks guys... appreaciate it... never heard of that ultra sound stuff and I don't think my inusrance covers it... how much would it cost? I am ordering some different heating products.. never hurts to have those on hand ya know? Spine adjusted huh... hmm.. what do they do exactly?

Thread Information