BASK8KACE is offline Anabolic Member

Depression, anti-depression medication and steroids

I recently received a PM from one of our members who had questions about depression, anti-depression medication and steroids. Since this is an issue that often comes up, I am posting an edited version of my response to his PM, in hopes that this will help others who are considering the same things. I also hope that others who have experience in this area will add to the discussion.

Here is my response (edited version):

Proper PCT does not necessarily prevent depression in all cases. It's using steroids in general that can cause changes in your body that may increase or decrease your depression. PCT may reduce the chances of post cycle depression, but it does not guarantee that you will not suffer depression.

Before you were prescribed anti-depression medication, did your doctors do any hormone level testing? Depression can be bought on by decreasing test levels (even in a young guy like you). Sometimes psychiatrists and psychologists (the ones with minimal, regulated ability to give prescriptions), start prescribing medicine before they think about some of the other factors such as hormone levels. Anyway...you know your situation far better than I. I just wanted to make sure you consider that.

Steroids affect everyone differently. You may find that steroids imprvove your sense of well being while cycling (this one of the reasons steroids are addictive). You may also find that during or after a cycle you get thrown into fits of deep depression. No one can tell you wich will happen to you. The only way to find out definitely is to experiement.

There are many people who are on steroids who are also on anti-depression medication and they are doing quite well. You should search the posts or post your own question about this to see if you can get other people who are on depression meds to talk to you about this.

I don't know what your depression history has been. If the depression has been significant enough to disrupt your life, then you should consider that when deciding whether to cycle. In other words, now that you've found a medication combination that works, do you want to mess it all up by adding steroids to the mix? Finding the corect combination of anti-depression meds that works for you can be a laborious and uncomfotable process. Once you find the right medication coctail, it's not fun having to start over because of hormone imbalances, etcetera.

You wrote in your email to me, "maybe I can be talked into this." Well, I'm the last person that would try to talk you into using steroids, especially since you are on medication for depression. You have to make that choice on your own. There are going to be people that tell you very convincingly that they KNOW you will have no problems, take that kind of blind advice with a grain of salt while you remember what I've told you: steroids affect each person differently. If you're willing to take that chance, then go for it. But, be prepared to stop using them if you start to have problems.

If you decide to use steroids, then here are some suggestions to consider (this is not an exhaustive list of considerations, just a few to get you started):

1. Stay away from the harsher steroids that shut you down hard such as all versions of Trenbolone (Tren ). What I mean by "shut you down hard" is that your natural testosterone production may stay repressed for a long time after a cycle due to properties of steroids like Tren.

2. Although mild, EQ (Equipoise ) is known to cause extreme anxiety in some. Anxiety and depression is not a good combination.

3. Start out with a mild cycle of testosterone-only and see how your body reacts. Then, if you decide to cycle again, on your second or third cycle you can stack one other compound with testosterone to keep tabs on how the new steroid affects you. It's helpful to stack steroids for synergy, BUT just remember that you don't have to stack steroids. If done properly, a solid testosterone-only cycle will help you grow quite fast.

4. Some people find that the short acting esters (such as testosterone propionate [Prop]) throw their body into a roller coaster of hormone fluctuations and cause depression in some. Others find that prop is great, do your research and decide. Generally short acting esters of steroids are not recommended for new users since it requires frequent shots, but it doesn't mean that they cannot.

5. On the other hand...The benefit to using Prop or other short acting esters would be that if you begin to have any difficulty, you can stop the cycle and the products will be essentially out of your body within 2-3 days. If you have problems using long acting esters, then you may have to wait 2-3 weeks (or more) before everything BEGINS to calm back down.

6. Most people who have experienced constant depression know the warning signs of a true depressive episode. So, listen to your body...if you feel yourself slipping into a true depression, take action FAST and end your cycle. Don't wait until you're mired down in deep depression.

Keep me posted on what you decide to do and let me know if I can help.
    Best of luck to you,

BASK8KACE
    Last edited by BASK8KACE; 01-31-2005 at 07:19 AM.

groverman1 is offline Cross Dressing Member
    Good post I am a prime example of someone who has low test levels before I even juiced. I was 28 yrs old and a bit depressed. It runs in the family so I had a full blood workup done and found my test level was 220. Way too low for a 28yr old. So I saw a urologist and started HRT and got my levels up to low 500's and the depression went bye bye. Now I am not saying that the HRT fixed everything but the low test levels had a huge art in the problem.

G-1000 is offline Cycle King/AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Blog Entries
    nice post

c5529 is offline Member
    Excellent post BASK8CASE.....Thanks for sharing this.

I have struggled with depression for years, pretty much my whole life, and now have it under control. I am taking Celexa at 40 mgs per day ED. It has worked wonders for me.....For me, my depression was caused by imbalances of serotonin, not testosterone deficiency.

I have also cycled steroids for 10 years now. I have found that some steroids affect my depression negatively, some positively, and some not at all. I love using Tren A, but if definitely affects me negatively, but not to point that I feel I can't use it. On the other hand, I must stay away from Dbol as it invariably will send me to my lowest levels....Finally, I have definitely noticed increased anxiety with EQ, although not unmanagable.

I strongly suggest that if anyone with depression is considering steroids that you get help with the depression first. You really don't want to be changing your hormones with AAS until your depression is under control. But once the depression is under control you definitely can add steroids safely and effectively.

I just want to leave everyone with this last thought -- if you have depression, please go see someone. NO ONE has to suffer the horrors of depression, jealousy, obsessive behavior, etc, any longer. There is a tremendous amount of help available and a variety of excellent medications that can make your life dramatically better. These meds range from SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors), anti anxieties, relaxants, and HRT.

BASK8KACE is offline Anabolic Member
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'm glad you find the post helpful.

c5529,
    I think I will experience my first bout of deep depression if people like you continue to spell my name wrong...It's something that keeps me up every night.

On a serious note: good input c5529. I'll recommend that the person who wrote me the PM contact you to discuss his situation if he feels comfortable discussing with others. Your experience with the anti-depressants and steroids could be of great help to him.
    Last edited by BASK8KACE; 01-30-2005 at 02:15 PM.

c5529 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BASK8KACE
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'm glad you find the post helpful.

c5529,
    I think I will experience my first bout of deep depression if people like you continue to spell my name wrong...It's something that keeps me up every night.

On a serious note: good input c5529. I'll recommend that the person who wrote me the PM contact you to discuss his situation if he feels comfortable discussing with others. Your experience with the anti-depressants and steroids could be of great help to him.
    LOL -- sorry about that BASK8KACE!!! Take some Celexa!!!

Definitely have him PM me -- I'm very happy to help people with depression any way that I can.....Lots of Bro's have pm'd me with depression questions so again, I'm happy to help. I've tried about every combination of anti depressants and AAS and have good feel for what works and what doesn't (at least for me).... Thanks again for this post.

thunder31 is offline Junior Member
    I read a article about what anti-depression meds worked the best for people on juice/ hrt. I'll try & find it.

XxElitexX is offline Senior Member
    Another great post bro! Good work!

beefydragon is offline Member
    actually, my partner suffered from depression and anxiety attacks his whole life. he's in his late 40's now and started doing gears about spring of last year. the funny thing is, the steroids made a significant impact on improving his quality of life. he's more energetic, no signs of depression, etc. i've heard people use roids for HRT and also it helps alleaviate depressions issues.

juiceinthehood is offline Anabolic Member
    im diagnosed as being bi-polar (manic depression) and roids never really bothered me but i have read stories about ppl. on anti d meds thats take roids and have committed suicide

c5529 is offline Member
    The key is really to find out which steroids work for the individual person and which do not......As I mentioned, I need to avoid Dbol , EQ, and Anadrol . ...Many people can't take Tren either, but I've never had a problem with Tren. For some people, Dbol increases the sense of well being; however, I hit rock bottom when I take Dbol.

Beefydragon, that is so great to hear about your friend...For me, when I use Test E, I have the same results as your friend...The Test E gives me a great sense of self confidence and well being which combines very well with my SSRI (celexa) and works to improve my depression symptoms even more....

Juiceinthehoold, that always kills me to hear when we lose a Bro to suicide....It's so terribley unfortunate.......I sincerely believe that people can use the right steroids to HELP with the therapy treatments, but as you have pointed out, the wrong steroid can make the depression even worse to the point of suicide.....

I've had quite a few PMs over the last few weeks from people with depression asking me questions about AAS use -- which is great -- I am very eager to help any Bro who is going through depression as I have. I think that I will do a separate thread with some general recommendations for my fellow Bros with depression and then everyone can chime in as well.....

bigbodyjosh is offline Member
    definately good post. i've experienced both...i've gotten depressed some cycles and an extreme sense of well being almost as if i rule the world

Beefkake31 is offline Member
    Hey C5529, look into Lexapro, it is exactly the same as Celexa except single isomer. It's a little newer than the celexa. I am going into my cycle around april 1st (my first one) and I have had a lot of history also with anxiety and depression. I don't take any medications now but I still feel it lingers in me. It is definitely the worst thing to happen to someone. I would consider deep depression (not just the blues guys) to be worse than almost anyyy disease or condition out there. Anyway I hope my DBOL and TEST E cycle dont affect me negatively but positvely.

Just as you guys research on steroids in these forums, I have done about depression and anxiety and mental illness for years. If you guys have any questions about anything related, feel free to PM me.

Also remember, the mind is extremely powerful so take control of it before it takes control over you.

bigbodyjosh is offline Member
    amen to that

Great post.

bump
    Last edited by YounG_SluG11; 02-23-2005 at 02:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefkake31
    Also remember, the mind is extremely powerful so take control of it before it takes control over you.
    I always have this in my signature in every forum I am in, except for somre reason I don't know how to put my signature in this forum. I've gone to CP but don't see anything there.

Juddman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey2ness
    great post BASK8KACE
    I was born with an undescended testicle and had it removed 2 days after birth.I was depressed when i was young.when i was 13 years old
    I was having episodes of paranoia and deep depression. I told my parents that people in my highschool were looking and laughing at me.I ended up staying at home and skipping all my classes.My paranoia got even worse that my parents had a ambulance sent to the house.I was prescribed two anti depressants to start with that made me feel deranged.Im 18 years old now and been off my anti-depressants for over 2 years without doctors knowledge.Im worried about my self because i can stay in the house for 3 months straight without leaving the house having my parents do all the grocerys.

I never taken drugs in my life other than that from a liscensed professional
    To this day i dont know what caused my deep depression that wouldn't go away even to this day

P.S. anyone else on here born with an undescended testicle
    i dont want to be the only one here with only one nut
    I don't have the same problem as you but I can understand where you're coming from bro. I've heard of people being described anti-depressants and having negative effects like that, to the point where they discontinue their use. If the negative effects outweigh the positive, I don't see why you would want to stay on them. However, medicine has evolved quite a bit and continues to do so. Maybe there are some new meds out there that you can try and they will work without the negative effects. I would consider going back to the doctor and being upfront about how you feel.
    No one should have to go through life feeling like that bro...good luck.

BTW exellent post bask8kase.

100%NATURAL-theGH is offline Senior Member
    Yeah I definetly like this post... good info. I'm gonna start a new thread about preferred psych med... see what people like

Quote Originally Posted by 100%NATURAL-theGH
    Yeah I definetly like this post... good info. I'm gonna start a new thread about preferred psych med... see what people like
    Great idea...a lot of new members that havent seen older threads. Get their input.

100%NATURAL-theGH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Juddman
    Great idea...a lot of new members that havent seen older threads. Get their input.
    Is that you in your avatar my friend?

Thekidtmac is offline Junior Member
    I suffer from depression and anxiety attacks I take klonopin , imipromine, and Prozac. I've do a cycle of superdrol and rebound xt for my pct. The pct reeked havac with my anxieties. I'm thing of doing a cycle of Test E and novadex and colmid as my pct. Any thoughts?

Thekidtmac is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefkake31
    Hey C5529, look into Lexapro, it is exactly the same as Celexa except single isomer. It's a little newer than the celexa. I am going into my cycle around april 1st (my first one) and I have had a lot of history also with anxiety and depression. I don't take any medications now but I still feel it lingers in me. It is definitely the worst thing to happen to someone. I would consider deep depression (not just the blues guys) to be worse than almost anyyy disease or condition out there. Anyway I hope my DBOL and TEST E cycle dont affect me negatively but positvely.

Just as you guys research on steroids in these forums, I have done about depression and anxiety and mental illness for years. If you guys have any questions about anything related, feel free to PM me.

I suffer from depression and anxiety attacks I take klonopin , imipromine, and Prozac. I've do a cycle of superdrol and rebound xt for my pct. The pct reeked havoc with my anxieties. I'm thing of doing a cycle of Test E and novadex and clomid as my pct. Any thoughts?

Thread Information