Jake Barnes is offline Junior Member

My Anavar Only Experiment

Started this 5 days ago. 6 weeks of high dose anavar only. I have two cycles under my belt. The anavar only is more of an experiment really, as I can't find good literature on people who have done it. I'm running 70mg/ed for the first week, and 50mg/ed for the subsequent 5 weeks.

I'm taking tribulus, glutamine, EFAs, and protein. NO creatine as I don't want to put too many variables in to the mix, and NO liver protectants as I don't think anavar will warrant it. I have milk thistle if needed. I also have nolva and clomid, and will run light PCT if I feel it is needed.

At day five I'm starting to get fairly intense back pumps from things like washing the dishes. Have not yet noticed any increase in strength. Thoughts from anybody who has done this are appreciated.

p0werlift is offline Banned
    at 70 mg's var's side effects start to get noticeable, depending on how consistent you are with the doseages. im not sure if your doseing low enough to effect your hpta, because ive 'heard', i dont have proof to back this up, but a few of my bro's stay on var year round at no more than 35/40 mg's because they all tell me there natural test starts to get effected beyond this point, but this all has to do with how much test your actually putting out/bodyweight/etc, so you could be in the clear on that.

when you drop it back down to 50, the back pumps will diminish, but theres a chance you could see some acne. if you do see some, it wont last long and it probably wont be anything to think twice about. its going to take 2, maybe 3 weeks for the var to kick in, pending on a few variables ofcourse, so thatll leave you with a short 3 weeks for you to get your lifts up. dont expect anything more than 10, maybe 20 lb gains on all your lifts and more than a 5 lb increase in keepable LBM(a few weeks after everything is said and done).

good luck.

redmeat is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like a lot of money for results that could have been achieved or surpassed with more traditional cycling methods. Good luck.

johnsomebody is offline Senior Member
    I did 40mgs/day for 12 weeks but I did it with Prop. I think it's a good idea to keep it to 6 weeks or so. Var is tough on the lipids and although the cycle was great it really cut into my cardio capacity. It took me about 6 mos to really get back to normal.

The var also gave me insane pumps in odd places -like if I walked even slightly uphill for a while my shins would get so pumped I couldn't walk it hurt so much. Anyway, good luck.

Imo not worth the gains for the price of av.

Mealticket is offline Senior Member
    y u going 70 the first week then backing off?......not like you can frontload it since the 1/2 life is so short.

All good posts guys, thank you. Powerlifter, that is exactly what I'm expecting, except I'd be surprised (disappointed) with only 10-20 lbs. on my lifts. For what it's worth, I train for strength, not show.

For the bros that wouldn't do this because of the cost, totally agreed. Fortunately I have an excellent price, which is what got me started thinking about this in the first place.

Admittedly I have no idea why I'm frontloading it at 70mg/day. This is the lab rat part of the experiment. It just seemed the right thing to do. I'll let you know how it goes.

Good luck and keep us updated.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    I would forget about the 70mg for the first 2 weeks and just go 40-50mg a day until you run out.

GrantC5 is offline Associate Member
    Disagree on 5,10 even 20 lb increases on lifts. I took 30 mg and bumped up to 40 mg ed for 6 weeks and increased my bench by 70 lbs, my leg press went up 200 lbs, pretty much everything else like bis,tris areas like that in the 20 lb range. All the big movements increased substansially including squats 90 lbs. This is my exp. and doesn't neccessarily mean it will do the same thing for you. One thing I noticed is major pumps that prevented me from lifting very long. I took Tongkat Ali, L-Arginine, Glutumine, Multi V and Milk Thistle while on. I did not have any issues with Tes suppression. I think Var gets a bad name because of price but in my OPINION is a great product BTW I used BD products.

Bench - 285 to 355
    Leg Press - 600 - 800
    Hammer Curls - 80 - 110 Dumbells
    Tri Extension - 120 - 150

5'9"
    Current body weight - 200 lbs
    BF = 10%
    Arms - 18"

p0werlift is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantC5
    Disagree on 5,10 even 20 lb increases on lifts. I took 30 mg and bumped up to 40 mg ed for 6 weeks and increased my bench by 70 lbs, my leg press went up 200 lbs, pretty much everything else like bis,tris areas like that in the 20 lb range. All the big movements increased substansially including squats 90 lbs. This is my exp. and doesn't neccessarily mean it will do the same thing for you. One thing I noticed is major pumps that prevented me from lifting very long. I took Tongkat Ali, L-Arginine, Glutumine, Multi V and Milk Thistle while on. I did not have any issues with Tes suppression. I think Var gets a bad name because of price but in my OPINION is a great product BTW I used BD products.

Bench - 285 to 355
    Leg Press - 600 - 800
    Hammer Curls - 80 - 110 Dumbells
    Tri Extension - 120 - 150

5'9"
    Current body weight - 200 lbs
    BF = 10%
    Arms - 18"

ok maybe that worked for you, but if that were the case, in my sport there would be no need for test suspension or trenbolone , i would even say, if that were the case, ronnie coleman would be benching in the 1500's and his deads would be in the 2000+ margin , and everyone's mother would be running anavar only cycles untill the rest of our lives.

10-20 lb(keepable poundage gains after cycle is done) is a realistic point of view coming from someone who has a couple of cycles under his belt, and has struggled almost a decade now to have his bench/dead/squat in the 2000 lb range(5'10, 230).

dont take this as a flame, i dont mean to come down on you hard, but different people react differently on different drug's given different circumstances. the first time i ran it, it was with a test cycle and i didnt see jack crap off 40 mg's, i had to bump it to 60 just to see somewhat of a strength increase off it, and some hardness.

IntensityX is offline BDTRs SHEMALE
    Dflood wrote this a while back:

Going to ask about anavar alone? READ THIS FIRST
    By Dflood @ AR

I have seen about three threads a day in the past month on anavar alone, and they all turn into arguments involving the same parties....so let this just be a "guide" for an individual planning/considering using oxandrolone as a standalone compound.

First, id like to get a few things straight about var.

MYTHS

Myth #1 - Anavar will not suppress the HPTA.
    False. Anavar, used in adequate dosages, will shut you down. To what degree you experience side effects of suppression (loss of libido, lethargy) is entirely dependent upon the individual and the dosages used.

Myth #2 - Var is a weak anabolic , and is not effective unless stacked with a more androgenic compound.
    This could not be further from the truth. At dosages of 40mg a day and higher, anavar is incredibly effective at adding water free LBM. At around day 6-7, increased vascularity should become apparent (assuming your oxandrolone is legitimate in its dosing), and strength gains should start appearing around day 14.
    If used during a clean bulk, gains of 10-20 pounds are possible. If cutting, you will maintain weight, or even put on 5-10 pounds (depending on the rate of fat loss/severity of diet). You will keep all of your gains with proper PCT.

Myth #3 - Anavar will not require any type of PCT.
    This is one ive never understood. It's a pretty commonly known fact now that var is a suppressive compound. So why is it that some individuals still refuse to make a small investment in some clomid/nolva....this is your testicular function we're talking about. That said, PCT required for var is not as "heavy" as PCT for, say, a test/eq cycle. 15-20 days @ 50mg clomid should be sufficient.

LIBIDO

The only real issue of concern that i have found when running anavar alone is slight libido suppression. Anavar is suppressive enough to where you WILL feel a difference in your sex drive (and not for the better ) when using 40+mg a day. There are three options to counteract this.

#1 - Tribulus + Avena Sativa - Trib at 4-7g a day and Avena Sativa at 3-4g a day tend to help prevent any loss in performance or ability to get it up. However, using effective dosages is going to end up being as or more expensive than options 2 or 3...but its your call.

#2 - Proviron - If hairloss is an issue in your choice to use anavar, then you may want to avoid this one. But 25mg ED proviron, starting after week 2, will keep you rock hard. And it will help to harden up your muscles too .

#3 - Maintenance Test Dosage - Finally, you could choose to use testosterone to keep your willy in shape. At a dosage of around 200mg, split bi weekly, everything should keep running smoothly. Also, this will contribute to your gains much moreso than than options 1 or 2. I would keep nolva onhand on the off chance that you are severely gyno prone. Bloating should not be an issue at this dosage.

BENEFITS

Anavar is a badass drug. This is why.

#1 - Vascularity
    Oxandrolone will make you veiny as all hell. And quickly. Look out for brand new bulging forearms veins by around day 6. If you are following a cutting regimen, expect new spider webs in your chest, shoulders and quads by around day 21.

#2 - Pumps
    When on var, the pumps are constant. Bored sitting in class/at work? Do some unweighted calf raises. After about three minutes, your calves will be ready to pop. Youll be doing something like drinking a cup of water, and after a minute of holding it, your bi will be completely full and pumped. You may have to cut some sets short in the gym due to the painful pumpage.

#3 - Strength
    Even when cutting, you can expect new strength gains every workout after about day 14-21.

#4 - Fat Loss
    Anavar has been shown to contribute to accelerated fat loss in both subcutaneous and visceral fat, concentrated effects in the abdomen and thigh area. And if youve used the drug, you can attest to this...if you cant sport the 6-8 pack look on var, its not gonna happen .

CYCLE

Anavar should be run @ at least 40mg a day to see all of the benefits it offers. Dosages upwards of 80mg have been shown to exhibit diminishing returns. Also, i cant imagine the intensity of the pumps at that kind of dosage.

Cycle #1
    Anavar 40-50mg ED Weeks 1-8
    Tribulus 5-8g ED Weeks 1-12
    Avena Sativa 2-4g ED Weeks 1-12
    Clomid 50mg ED Weeks 9-11

Cycle #2
    Proviron 25mg ED Weeks 3-8

Cycle #3
    Test Prop 50mg EOD Weeks 1-8

If bulking, Test Enanthate could be substituted for prop, and 100mg could be injected every 3-4 days...however, this could cause more bloating, and complicate PCT timing.

LIVER PROTECTION

Anavar is a 17 Alpha Alkylated steroid , and is toxic. It has been shown to be less toxic than other orals, and is even used as liver treatment for recovering alcoholics. Still, i would limit my time using it to 8 weeks, 10 at the most.

It would be beneficial to you liver to use several different OTC supplements during, and perhaps after your cycle. A few preventive measures never hurt anyone .

1 - Milk Thistle
    The classic liver protectant herb.supposedly works by blocking the entrance of harmful substances to liver cells, and hastening their expulsion. Make sure there is a high standardization of Silymarin

2 - R ALA
    A powerful antioxidant

3 - NAC
    Supports liver function and production of l-glutathione

4 - Vitamin C and E
    Antioxidants

5 - LOADS of water
    Helps to flush out your entire system

LIPID PROTECTION

Anavar isnt going to kill your cholesterol levels like some drugs (winny being one of the worst), but it may put your LDL/HDL profiles outside of the normal range. There are a few things that help, but as long as your not using 60+mg daily or running it for more than 10 weeks, i would just use flax...

1 - Flax Oil
    Consuming lots of omega fatty acids promotes overall health, as well as helping to keep your lipid profile from becoming too bad.

2 - Policosanol
    Used at 20mg daily to keep your HDL (good cholesterol) levels from crashing, and your LDL from becoming too high.

3 - Niacin
    Preferably the flush free variety. If you wish, niacin can be used at 1-2g ED for a short period post-cycle to normalize HDL levels. Do not use for more than 7-14 days, as liver toxicity can be an issue when using those dosages of niacin for long periods of time.

I hope that people read this, and that it helps those doing their research to make the correct decision. If anyone sees any glaring errors, or has something important to add, hit me with a PM and ill do some editing.

Dflood

johnsomebody is offline Senior Member
    XNLT info!

Grant, that info is appreciated. So on one hand we've got guys that are seeing 10-20 lb. increases, and on the other extreme, someone like you who saw some really huge gains without any test or other injectables in the mix.
    Not enough people have done this kind of thing yet to come up with a close approximation of the "average" gains. Thanks to all for the thoughts, and I'll keep this updated.

ace ventura is offline Member
    Any updates on your cycle?

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    It's so hard to get someone to post a legitimate, frequently updated experimental journal.

Thanks for the interest bros. Jake Barnes is going to move this over to the cycle results board under the thread name "My Wife Left Me for Anavar "
    and will update regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude-Man
    It's so hard to get someone to post a legitimate, frequently updated experimental journal.

robbie123 is offline New Member
    these are the gains I hope for!
    Good job!
    I currently bench 305 and will be starting var in March.
    I weigh 180.

jerseyboy is offline Anabolic Member
    This thread is reallly old. If you want good gains, add some test.

oswaldosalcedo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Barnes
    All good posts guys, thank you. Powerlifter, that is exactly what I'm expecting, except I'd be surprised (disappointed) with only 10-20 lbs. on my lifts. For what it's worth, I train for strength, not show.

For the bros that wouldn't do this because of the cost, totally agreed. Fortunately I have an excellent price, which is what got me started thinking about this in the first place.

Admittedly I have no idea why I'm frontloading it at 70mg/day. This is the lab rat part of the experiment. It just seemed the right thing to do. I'll let you know how it goes.
    weight gained?

fhorst is offline Associate Member
    Old, but still great info from Dflood!!

I've run Var at 60mg a day for 6 weeks before with no PCT and gained 16lbs, only lost 2lbs when I got off. I did not notice a difference between 60mg a day and 80mg a day, so I decided to just stick with 60mgs.

Booz is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    var is still a 17-alpha alkylated oral steroid ,i would still use a liver protectorant such as liv-52 or milk thistle!!!

goose is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by notanormalgent
    I've run Var at 60mg a day for 6 weeks before with no PCT and gained 16lbs, only lost 2lbs when I got off. I did not notice a difference between 60mg a day and 80mg a day, so I decided to just stick with 60mgs.

No way you gained this in 6 weeks with Var,I know var very well.

goose4............

SPIKE is offline AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by goose4

goose4............

Here here to that

oswaldosalcedo is offline Senior Member

goose4............
    i agree sincere and heartily.

goose4............
    I swear on my life. It was my first cycle. I forgot to add that I did infact take milk thistle during the cycle to protect my liver. My second Var cycle only put on 10lbs.

goose is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by notanormalgent
    I swear on my life. It was my first cycle. I forgot to add that I did infact take milk thistle during the cycle to protect my liver. My second Var cycle only put on 10lbs.

No problem,means one thing,your gain was not quality muscle,so you gained extra from your diet.

goose4.........

Thread Information