sooner45 is offline Member

I have a LOW Resting Body Temp, what do I do??

I have been doing a LOT of research in the last month or so on T3. I know its dangerous and I wanted to be safe with it. I just ordered some and it should be here in a few days. Well I got my digi thermom yesterday and just for ****s and giggles I took my temp last night a few times and I was about 98.2, 98, 98., etc. So I was thinking great! Not tooo bad, eh??? Well yeah, I just took it this a.m. while I was lying still in bed, I took it 3 times and I got readings of 96.2, 95.3, 96.1, and in that order!!! was completely shocked! Never thought I might have a hypothyroid, at least thats what it sounds like with the low body temps. But I am hot natured and keep my house around 65 degrees while I sleep, so could that have anything to do with such a low Body temp?? My question is what do I need to do??? Is it ok to start talking the Clen /T3 when it comes in?? I was going to do Mallets 7/5 split, starting at about 50mg, just to be safe, and work my way up to 175Mg, as I weigh 190. But I did read somewhere where where it said if you have a low Body temp that you need to try and get it up naturally without the T3, so I am a little confused. But as I look back the last 5-6 months this does make sense beacuse it has beeen like I have hit a wall, cant lose any weight, diet has been dead on with Swole helping out , and cardio about 45 min 5-6 days a week! So could this hypothyroid have been holding me back??? Is it safe to start taking the T3 when it comes in or do I need to be taking supps BEFORE I take the t3??? Sorry for the long letter bro's, just got a little worried when I took my temp this a.m.! Thanks!!

Ripped218 is offline New Member
    I would get a TSH test before starting the t3 ,damage could be done if you already have a pre existing problem with your thyroid.

alex117k is offline Junior Member
    Hey, what kind of thermometer are you using and where are you taking your readings?

I just bought a fast read digital thermometer for $7 at Walgreens and when I take my temperature orally, it's 2 degrees or so cooler than if I take it by placing it under my armpit. I think the armpit zone is the more accurate indicator.

Quote Originally Posted by alex117k
    Hey, what kind of thermometer are you using and where are you taking your readings?

I just bought a fast read digital thermometer for $7 at Walgreens and when I take my temperature orally, it's 2 degrees or so cooler than if I take it by placing it under my armpit. I think the armpit zone is the more accurate indicator.
    That coudl be it, I am taking it orally and I am using one just like yours, digital from Wal mart. I know this sounds liek a stupid question but is there a certain spot under the armpit where you have to put it or do ya just stick it under there andywhere???

GREENMACHINE is offline Are you green enough?
    I know both give a diffrent reading, but I always though that oral readings were more accurate related to the moisture I think. Wait your using a digital one. Guess you could try closing your arm tighter and holding it for longer.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner45
    That coudl be it, I am taking it orally and I am using one just like yours, digital from Wal mart. I know this sounds liek a stupid question but is there a certain spot under the armpit where you have to put it or do ya just stick it under there andywhere???

This a.m. it was at 96.0. Looks like my average will be about 96, but I have to think that sleeping in cold air may have something to do with it I dont know? I would think that because it is cold in my house than obviously that would lower my body temp, but who knows?? Anyone have any ideas on if I can go ahead and start T3??? Mallet you out there? Thanks guys!

bmwrob is offline Member
    I had a similar problem. When I first took my axillary (armpit) temp it was in the 95 - 96 range. Then I squeezed my armpit very tight against the thermometer and it went up to 97.9. I also had/have a similar problem with the oral method as well. The key is that you have to get the thermometer way in the back under your tongue. Almost to the point where it is kind of choking. That is the normal place to take the oral temp. Plus, make sure that your tongue is tight over the thermometer as well as your lip as closed. Try that and see how it works.

Whitey is offline Anabolic Member
    Bro, lot's have people have a slightly lower body temp than average - low 98's is no big deal. Now 96 is very, very low. The normal range is from 97-100. A couple of things - 1) you may not have gotten a truly accurate measurement. 2) your body temp is always lower in the mornings. The average person reaches there lowest body temperature of the day at 5am. This is due to the slowdown of metabolic processes while you sleep. You should expect your temp to be lowest in the mornings and hghest in the evenings.

Whitey is offline Anabolic Member
    More info:

The normal core body temperature of a healthy, resting adult human being is stated to be at 98.6 degrees fahrenheit or 37.0 degrees celsius. Though the body temperature measured on an individual can vary, a healthy human body can maintain a fairly consistent body temperature that is around the mark of 37.0 degrees celsius.

The normal range of human body temperature varies due to an individuals metabolism rate, the higher (faster) it is the higher the normal body temperature or the slower the metabolic rate the lower the normal body temperature. Other factors that might affect the body temperature of an individual may be the time of day or the part of the body in which the temperature is measured at. The body temperature is lower in the morning, due to the rest the body received, and higher at night after a day of muscular activity and after food intake.

Body temperature also varies at different parts of the body. Oral temperatures, which are the most convenient type of temperature measurement, is at 37.0 °C. This is the accepted standard temperature for the normal core body temperature. Axillary temperatures are an external measurement taken in the armpit or between two folds of skin on the body. This is the longest and most inaccurate way of measuring body temperature, the normal temperature falls at 97.6 °F or 36.4 °C. Rectal temperatures are an internal measurement taken in the rectum, which fall at 99.6 °F or 37.6 °C. It is the least time consuming and most accurate type of body temperature measurement, being an internal measurement. But it is definitely, by far, not the most comfortable method to measure the body temperature of an individual.

Lena Wong -- 1997

"For decades it was thought that the normal body temperature was 98.6 °F. This number was calculated from a study in Germany which reported normal at 37 °C. What was not known was that this number was an average rounded to the nearest degree. In other words it was only accurate to two significant digits, not the three we have with 98.6. Scientists today know that normal is actually 98.2 plus or minus 0.6, that is to say anything in the range of 97.6° to 98.8° should be considered normal."

Cox, Paul. Glossary of Mathematical Mistakes. 1998.

Kevan is offline Associate Member
    I would have your thyroid checked before using the t3's just to be safe and give yourself a starting point for later tests. My wife uses mallets 7/5 she is 5'5 and 150 lbs, been lifting for over 3 years heavy with me, so she is not that fat!!! She starts at 150 to 175 mcg. I think 50 is a waste of time for you ! As some other guy on here said ' my mouse starts and 50mcg and ramps up'. Seriously, I think 50 is only enough to shut down your thyroid, and make no mistake when you start taking t3's you do shut down your thyroid. It recovers very quickly using mallets system. As I say my wife has been using it for a year now and had her thyroid tested recently after being off the t3's for a month and it came back normal. She has a resting temp of 96.8 to 97.2 in the mornings when off the t3's. We are all different, I have a resting temp of about 97.8 but I don't need t3's

Quote Originally Posted by Kevan
    I would have your thyroid checked before using the t3's just to be safe and give yourself a starting point for later tests. My wife uses mallets 7/5 she is 5'5 and 150 lbs, been lifting for over 3 years heavy with me, so she is not that fat!!! She starts at 150 to 175 mcg. I think 50 is a waste of time for you ! As some other guy on here said ' my mouse starts and 50mcg and ramps up'. Seriously, I think 50 is only enough to shut down your thyroid, and make no mistake when you start taking t3's you do shut down your thyroid. It recovers very quickly using mallets system. As I say my wife has been using it for a year now and had her thyroid tested recently after being off the t3's for a month and it came back normal. She has a resting temp of 96.8 to 97.2 in the mornings when off the t3's. We are all different, I have a resting temp of about 97.8 but I don't need t3's
    Good idea, are their any "special" doctors that test your Thyroid?? And what do I tell them when they ask why I want my Thyroid tested??? I'm obviously not going to tell them I'm going to do T3.......

Quote Originally Posted by sooner45
    This a.m. it was at 96.0. Looks like my average will be about 96, but I have to think that sleeping in cold air may have something to do with it I dont know? I would think that because it is cold in my house than obviously that would lower my body temp, but who knows?? Anyone have any ideas on if I can go ahead and start T3??? Mallet you out there? Thanks guys!
    Can anyone help me out with this? I'm wnting to start my T3, but just want to make sure I'm good to go. I've PM'd and emailed Mallet but I guess he's pretty busy himself! Anyone??

cobra1414 is offline Junior Member
    Those digital thermometers suck for sure. I always read about high 96/low 97 first thing in the am too. You could try using a mercury thermometer those are more accurate.

sauceman is offline Junior Member
    im on dnp currently and im gettin real low temp readings too, the reason for this is that the body is giving off so much heat. im not sure if this happens with t3 also, but i keep reading its normal for temp to drop slightly due to a great expenditure of heat on dnp. might have somethign to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by sauceman
    im on dnp currently and im gettin real low temp readings too, the reason for this is that the body is giving off so much heat. im not sure if this happens with t3 also, but i keep reading its normal for temp to drop slightly due to a great expenditure of heat on dnp. might have somethign to do with it.
    Yeah thats what I'm worried about, I dont have much faith on these digi-thermom's, I guess I'll just start it and monitor it after that and see how the T# affects my temp.....

Thread Information